Thread: Godmothers... Duties?

Default Godmothers... Duties?

So my best friend is making me the god mother to her baby, she said she would trust no one else more than more when it comes to caring for her baby financially as well as mentally, if something ever happen to her, I was touched, specially seeing we have been trying for almost a year now with no success and we got pregnant 4wks apart and I lost my pregnancy at 8wks. Anyway, I was thinking about it today, what else are my duties? Do I do anything at all or just love the baby beyond all control? I heard something about religious matters but I am not religious and neither is she so I didn't know if I did anything else?

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

She might put you on a will for a person that could care for the baby God forbid anything would happen to her. A lady I know her daughter is a Godmother and she cut the cord today for the baby and was an emotional support.

I think in some Christian traditions the Godparents are present ceremoniously for special religious events like christenings, baptisms, etc. Sometimes they promise to help support the parents in raising the child with the beliefs and values of their religion. However, the term has often become synonymous with 'legal guardian', and that may be how your friend means it. You will have to check with her on if she has any religious connection to the word.

But in any case, congratulations! That is such an honor!

Quote Originally Posted by KC's wifey View Post
    I think in some Christian traditions the Godparents are present ceremoniously for special religious events like christenings, baptisms, etc. Sometimes they promise to help support the parents in raising the child with the beliefs and values of their religion. However, the term has often become synonymous with 'legal guardian', and that may be how your friend means it. You will have to check with her on if she has any religious connection to the word.

But in any case, congratulations! That is such an honor!
    Yes, this. And by the way - congratulations! What an honor it is that someone thinks/feels so highly of you.

I would have a conversation to clarify what godmother means to your friend. To me, it simply means a personal/spiritual mentor and role model, nothing more. It is symbolic in nature. We are Catholic, so the godparents participate in the ceremony.

My godmother has given me gifts from time to time in my life and come to visit us, but other than that I have no real relationship with her. My godfather is my uncle, whom I see all the time as he lives 9 houses down from my parents!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)