Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you let your children eat in the living room?

Default Do you let your children eat in the living room?

I'm just curious. I don't mind. We have hardwood floors and I keep a blanket over the couch so clean up is easy if spills happen. I like having a more casual home. Dbf doesn't like it (although he eats in there) but I override him since I'm the only one that cleans.

Mia has a table in the living room and that is where she eats almost all the time. We are casual too. We eat together but not necessarily at the dining room table.

We generally have dinner together at the kitchen table but I have no problem with eating in other rooms of the house. We'll sometimes do picnic on towels to watch a movie and I often eat on my bed if I'm working at home.

Oh, yes we also eat meals at the table. It is mostly snacks that leave the kitchen.

I only allow dry snacks in the living room. The rest has to be at the table.

I'm *terrible* about it. I eat all over the place, and I let Mira do it too, to a lesser extent.

Yes, we allow dd to eat in the living room. We don't have a table to eat at, just a bar and then we have a little table for dd in the living room.
    Breakfast she usually eats while sitting on a case of bottled water just outside the kitchen.
    Lunch she eats while sitting at her table.
    Dinner she eats either sitting in her high chair or sitting at the bar.
    She eats snanks while running around where ever.

At this point I just want her to eat so I don't make a big deal about where she eats. I don't allow her to eat on the couch though....unless its a dry something like Cheerios.

We mostly hang out in our playroom which has light colored carpeting. I'm cool with dry foods, cheese, yogurt, fruit. I don't like soup, strawberry bars, frozen juice popsicles, guacamole- things that are likely to stain or make a really big mess if spilled. We often have breakfast of fruit & yogurt in playroom but lunch & dinner are at kitchen or patio table.
    My 3 yo cuties!

We have a little table in the living room she can sit at. Most snacks are not allowed on the couch (or other cloth-covered furniture), but she can keep it on the coffee table or her own little table with chairs.

ETA: We have hard wood floors in the living room, so spills onto the floor are easy to clean up. Meals are never in the living room, only snacks *sometimes*.
    Last edited by NHKate; 04-24-2013 at 12:05 AM.

I feel like a dragon lady here, but no we only allow food on the dinner table. Or outside. We just got brand new couches and one of my biggggggest pet peeves is stains. I hate hate hate stains!!!! DD1 I would probably let her eat anywhere, but DS is sooo messy. He could find a way to get cheese smashed into my new couch....WITH a seat cover on AND a blanket down... lol. Hes his fathers son!!! So to avoid any fights, our rule is only eating on the dinner table or outside. If DS was a cleaner eater I'd prob have no problem with it.

Not generally. We might have a movie night and we'll eat in the family room. But other than that food stays in the kitchen or dining room. It has been our rule since my oldest was little. Of course the older think they can do whatever they want and there are always bowls and cups sitting around in places they shouldn't.

Generally no. Sometimes we'll have a picnic on the floor in the playroom or living room, but otherwise all food stays at the kitchen table.
    Drives me batty when my sisters kids are here and they're walking around with slices of pizza or a melted piece of chocolate..... they have leather couches at home, I do not.

Yes but we also have hardwood floors and our leather furniture is about 8 years old. So clean up is easy. We eat family meals in the dining room but I also have a little table in the living room for the kids. They eat there especially if it is just the kids and I at home. We will be moving and buying new furniture - I plan to put some rules in place to keep it clean.

Eat at the table here. Special occasion meals are ok in the den with the whole family. And by special occasion I mean a live sporting event I don't want to miss and we have a fun food in front of tv night. Occasional snacks at her table in the living room. DD is a very neat eater, DH is more likely to spill.

Mostly DH's rule, but I have to admit I like it since I'm the one who cleans.
    Married 7/10/04.

Dinner is almost always at the dining room table - it is just easier since that is generally messier.

Nolan has a little bench in the living room that we use for snacks and sometimes breakfast. He is *not* allowed to walk around with the food though. It has to stay at the table. Generally he'll go for a bite, put it back on the table, and than play.... Back and forth like that

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Yes. They have their own table. They usually eat breakfast and lunch in there. We eat dinner at the dining room table together every night.

No one eats in the bedrooms (unless I am trying to hide and eat something lol )
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Our living room and dining room are connected to one another and kind of flow together in an "L" shape. They eat meals at the table and have snacks in the living room. It's all one floor and the carpet is crappy (was crappy when we moved in and we haven't changed it out yet) so I don't really mind having to clean up in an "L". That said they are not allowed to eat in the rest of the house.

... I found my 3 year old eating a banana while sitting on the toilet today so that rule isn't ALWAYS followed to the letter... >_>
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Rarely. We have hardwoods, but I really can't stand any crumbs. I already vacuum or sweep up after every meal in the dining room or kitchen. I don't want to add our den or living room to my daily sweeping. I will allow them to eat there if I am watching a movie or DVD with DS1, but it has to be something pretty clean, like an apple. I cannot stand crumbs and especially spills. I can handle them only in the dining room or kitchen. I may steal the idea of putting a blanket down underneath for the times I do allow a snack there.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I'm *terrible* about it. I eat all over the place, and I let Mira do it too, to a lesser extent.
    Yup Real "meals" at at the table but snacks throughout the day are anywhere and everywhere.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Kids are not allowed to eat or drink anything outside of the kitchen or dining room. DH & I will snack while we watch TV and drink in the den. We eat breakfast on the table in the kitchen and dinner in the dining room as a family. If DS or SD want a snack, they can have that at the kitchen table.
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett

Not usually. We have meals at the table, together, 99% of the time. We like the family time, and it certainly is helpful to keep the mess contained LOL.

Snacks, yes, the kiddos eat those on the go probably 90% of the time.
    Last edited by TripMomma; 04-21-2013 at 01:40 PM.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Dinner? Never. We eat as a family at our table. Lunch, occasionally, moreso now than ever because it allows me to breastfeed comfortably on the couch. Snacks, all the time!

Blog Entries

Dinner is always on the kitchen table, or in nice weather we'll eat outside at the picnic table. I allow limited snacks in the living room...fruit if they're watching a show/movie is about it, and water bottles with straws attached.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Sophia doesn't right now because she makes a big mess. DH and Cody does though. Our downstairs is so small so its hard for all of to be in the kitchen at once. Sophia does eat snacks in there though.

Blog Entries

Meals are always at the table. Messy snacks are also at the table. Snack items that won't stain are allowed elsewhere in the house - mostly the living room. Cups without tops are only at the table.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    Mia has a table in the living room and that is where she eats almost all the time. We are casual too. We eat together but not necessarily at the dining room table.
    This is us EXCEPT it's the family room. We have separate living and family rooms. The kids are NOT allowed to eat in the living room. That being said, once we get new carpeting, they won't be eating in the family room, either. We're going to build a breakfast bar between the kitchen and family room, and that's where they'll be eating.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

We eat meals at the table, but snacks are all over. It does drive DH batty, but like you said I am the one that cleans it all up.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We have non-messy meals and snacks in the living room occasionally. We have hardwood floors, a leather couch, and little tables to put the plates on, though. By non-messy I mean finger foods only. They don't walk around with food.

Yes, by our poor example. More and more we are eating dinner at the table together. But we will often eat as a family in the family/living room too. Sometimes our dinner gets pushed later than we want with DH's work schedule so I have to feed Olivia before we eat - she will get to eat and watch a show while I am trying to make dinner for DH and me.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I'm getting more strict about it. I used to allow L (3.5) to eat snacks in her playroom but it got too messy. Now she eats almost everything at the table. If something special is on tv in the living room she can eat at the coffee table.

C (1) is messier though, and she is at that age where its more difficult to contain, with the sippy cups and constant snacks. I'm glad we have hardwood in the main living areas, and I also keep a blanket over our couch.