Thread: When did your period resume after birth?

Default When did your period resume after birth?

I'm only one month post birth, and today I got what looks like my period? But 'they' say when you breastfeed, the earliest it returns is usually 3 months. I nurse around the clock, so this is a bit concerning? I've been using pads since birth, this past week lochia has been very light, so I was a little surprised today to see so much fresh blood.

Anybody else get their period back this early?

My bleeding didn't stop postpartum for nearly 9 weeks. My lochia kind of came and went though over those nine weeks - some days the flow was heavier than others. At one point around 7 weeks pp I thought it had stopped as I had no bleeding for a full day and then the next day it came back quite heavy. So maybe that's what's going on with you? I'm still pumping (I'm EP'ing), three times a day at 6.5 months pp. I got a AF at 3 months pp, but nothing since. I've had a few negative HPT's over the last few months, so I know I'm not pregnant. I think that our hormones are just all over the place postpartum and breastfeeding just adds to it. Everyone's different, I wouldn't be worried.
    Jennifer

Were you more active today than you have been previously? I would be really surprised if your period is back already!

Mine came back right smack in the middle of the 4 month GS, nursing around the clock doesn't even begin to describe the situation.... so yeah, that part of the theory didn't prove true for me.

I got my period for the first time 11 months PP. I got one period, then got pg again. Be careful!!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I had the same thing happen with my first baby. I stopped bleeding at 4 weeks PP and then started up again at 6 weeks. It definitely was not AF since she didn't return for me until 5 months PP. I would say it's just more PP bleeding.

ETA that for my second baby my period did not resume until 13 months pp

Blog Entries

I got my period back at 9 weeks PP, I believe, with my second and it was regular from that point on. I got my period back at 12 weeks PP with my first and again it was regular from that point on. So, you can get your period back whenever. Exclusive breastfeeding obviously didn't delay my period much at all.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I didn't get AF back til 13 months (when I quit pumping at work).

I PP bled off and on for 9 weeks though. It would slow down and pick up depending on how much he was nursing and/or how active I was.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

DD1 was 10 months
    DD2 was 9 months
    DD3 was 6 months

I bled for 6 weeks PP with all 3 though. Has your PP bleeding stopped? I thought mine did and then it kicked up again.

I have only had 2 real AFs since having her return at 6M PP. I am so confused and frustrated because I don't know what to expect. I got my 2nd AF 46 days after the first. Now my 3rd was around 38 days but was so light and I am not sure if it was a real AF or not. I am trying to lose weight and I am retaining water and it's just frustrating!!!

Good luck!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Mine never came back. I ended up taking provera when dd was 20 months so we could TTC again.

I breastfed my 2nd and 3rd on demand. AF came back for me around 8 weeks postpartum with both. I got pregnant with my 4th when my 3rd was 3 months old. They had the same due date a year apart. Breastfeeding usually suppresses AF but not always. I never had supply problems. As a matter of fact, I had oversupply. That said, it is very likely still postpartum bleeding.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

It sounds like still postpartum lochia/bleeding to me too. I had that happen a couple of times where it seemed like it was done, nothing for two or three days and then bright red again for another day or two. DS is almost nine months and I haven't gotten mine back yet, but I haven't BFed since about 7 months and started on the pill (seasonale) so I expect mine will be back in about three more weeks.
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett

I didn't start getting a real AF until after I weaned and started using the NuvaRing. It was never a "real" AF since BC bleeding is just withdrawal bleeding from the hormones so who knows how long it really would have taken me!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Quote Originally Posted by futuresoccermom View Post
    I'm only one month post birth, and today I got what looks like my period? But 'they' say when you breastfeed, the earliest it returns is usually 3 months. I nurse around the clock, so this is a bit concerning? I've been using pads since birth, this past week lochia has been very light, so I was a little surprised today to see so much fresh blood.

Anybody else get their period back this early?
    I had the same thing thinking it was my period around 5-6 weeks pp. Dr said very unlikely, probably just did more running around that day.

4 weeks postpartum while EBF and every 28 days after that.... my body hates me. I hope this time around I get more of a break.

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)My Blog

Thanks ladies! Infact, these past couple days I've been the most active since delivery! I've started walking DD1 to and from school (40 min trek, mostly uphill!) That explains it!

Quote Originally Posted by futuresoccermom View Post
    Thanks ladies! Infact, these past couple days I've been the most active since delivery! I've started walking DD1 to and from school (40 min trek, mostly uphill!) That explains it!

I was told an increase in bleeding is a good indicator you're doing too much too soon. Take it easy, Mama!

Thank you! This has been a good reminder to take it easy.. I had good intentions of starting to hopefully shed some baby weight... baby steps!

At 9 months and 3 weeks.... Aka today

...yes, baby steps! Our bodies are truly amazing but we need to give them a chance to heal fully! Same thing happened to me after Corbin was born. Take it easy mama!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

7 months with DS1 and 8 months with DS2. I nursed both of them for a year and got pregnant the month they weaned. Probably just coincidence, but I will always be nervous around 1st birthdays, lol
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

5 weeks with DS2, and then 28 days later it came back and was regular for a while.

I agree with some of the others that it sounds like post-birth still. I would go from clear to red a few times between 4-6 weeks post birth. My first real period after giving birth wasn't until 6 months though.
    Rae (27), DH (26), Lucas (6/3/12), Amelia (12/13/13)

I have not read all replies but I got AF 6 weeks PP with DS and 5 weeks PP with DD (confirmed with Dr that it was indeed AF). However, my first few cycles were irregular (30-40 days vs my standard 31-34 days). But 6 months PP my cycles were back to normal. I BFed exclusively for 6 months, on demand until about 14-18 months, and then for 17 and 20 months respectively. Basically, I got no relief from AF due to BFing. ETA - I was well past lochia but my lochia did not last long (about 3 weeks each time) and much lighter than anything I expected - but both were born by c/s.
    Last edited by impatient; 04-26-2013 at 11:15 AM.