Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get another beta????

Default Should I get another beta????

Beta last Wed (11dpo)- 16
    Beta 48hrs later (13dpo)- 32
    Beta 72hrs later (16dpo)- 51

I started bleeding/cramping like a regular af at 10dpo. It continued for 6 days like af usually would and I'm still spotting (10days total). I stopped taking prometrium on Monday when I got the results of my 3rd beta because it did not appear my pg was viable. I assumed the bleeding would pick up and the miscarriage would be complete.

I called my midwife this morning for misoprostol to get things going since my body has a tendency to take it's time...with my last loss I bled/cramped for 7wks and went on bc to stop the bleeding when my hcg reached 7. She didn't bother to get back with me and won't be in the office again until next Thursday (yeah, she's a real gem).

Anyway, I took an hpt this afternoon to see if my levels were coming down...I expected a faint positive since it was late afternoon urine and pretty clear. It is the darkest test I've gotten (19dpo) http://www.countdowntopregnancy.com/...ncy-test119977

So do I try to get a hold of my midwife for a beta, see someone else, or wait it out?? Help me think this out ladies
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I don't really have experience, but I would think with a test that dark your numbers wouldn't be dropping. That's a strong positive.

Yeah...that's way stronger than your other tests. I already don't like your MW. find an OB, get an US done and another Beta asap.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

wow kelly, that is a dark line. You should definitely request another beta.

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Blog Entries

I would definitely ask for another Beta. This test demonstrates that your Beta isn't going down despite the bleeding. I'd see someone else, though.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I'll call my pcp in the morning. I'm starting to be slightly concerned about it being ectopic. I have a colicky pain on my right side where I usually feel ovulation...it's radiating down my leg and my back hurts on that side. It could just be my corpus luteum but it's not familiar.

So should I go back on the prometrium I wonder...just in case?? I'm so exhausted from all of this...so frustrated to not have a care-provider I know I can call .

Definitely get another beta!

Yes! Get another beta!!!!!! And keep getting it done until you are "safe" pregnancy wise or it goes back to under 5.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    I'll call my pcp in the morning. I'm starting to be slightly concerned about it being ectopic. I have a colicky pain on my right side where I usually feel ovulation...it's radiating down my leg and my back hurts on that side. It could just be my corpus luteum but it's not familiar.

So should I go back on the prometrium I wonder...just in case?? I'm so exhausted from all of this...so frustrated to not have a care-provider I know I can call .
    Good. I'd definitely be calling your pcp. Let him/her know about your concerns that it could be ectopic. And I'd go back on the prometrium. It can't hurt.

Wow Kelly that's a strong positive! You know I don't have a ton of advice but wanted to say good luck! From everything I have read on this situation I also don't like your midwife and am glad you are seeking advice from someone else! KUP!

I would definitely get another beta, and see someone else. Praying for the best Kelly!!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Thank you ladies !! I'm very anxious to talk with my dr today...test with fmu this morning http://www.countdowntopregnancy.com/...ncy-test120151

Darkest line I've *ever* gotten on a pg test. My temp went way up today too and I'm just brown spotting. Gah, really praying I don't have to go over the weekend not knowing.

Eta...dr appt at 11:30...I'll update asap
    Last edited by kellyowens; 04-19-2013 at 06:25 AM.

None of my tests were ever that dark and I tested up to a month after getting my first BFP. This is why I hate beta tests!!!

Holy cow that is dark! I really hope you have some answers today and they get their act together and don't make you wait around.

Blog Entries

Wow, your Beta has to be increasing. I hope that your PCP orders you a test and you get your results today.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I hope that you are able to get some answers today

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I would def request another beta. I'm def no expert, but I think your numbers are rising based on the darkness of your tests.

Why did it appear that your pregnancy was not viable? Because of the bleeding paired with the low HCG numbers? (Forgive me, I've been skipping around trying to catch up.)

I'm really happy you're going to a different medical professional today -- IMO time to ditch your midwife, she's not particularily helpful!!

I'd push for another beta, even (if for the worst) to see your numbers going back below 5... my last mc, I was certain I had mc'd but still had a requisition for the following 1-2 weeks to have a follow-up beta and u/s!!

Best of luck!! *hugs*

As long as you are paying your bills (or have insurance that covers the bills) there is no reason for any medical professional to deny you having another beta. It sounds like it would give you a little peace of mind one way or another.

Good luck Kelly! I'll be thinking of you!
    Rae (27), DH (26), Lucas (6/3/12), Amelia (12/13/13)

Thanks ladies!Natalie...my midwife told me after my first beta that I was probably miscarrying because it was low and I was having af like bleeding and cramps. She said to have another beta done on Monday (5 days after my first one) to make sure my levels were returning to normal. I told her I wanted a beta in 48hrs since I felt it was a bit premature to call it a m/c. She said I could if I wanted but recommended I wait until Saturday if my lab was open to give it 72hrs but I went on Friday and my beta did double exactly.She never called me after that one but I called on Monday to request a 3rd beta (72hrs after the 2nd one). It had not even doubled so I assumed that my pg was not viable and stopped the prometrium. My bleeding was just spotting by that point and I figured my numbers were coming down (when I stopped the progesterone my symptoms went away). My midwife called the next day and gave me the when-to-go-to-the-ER spiel and said to take a hpt in 2wks to make sure my levels were dropping. I'm so tired of the spotting/cramping and my body has a tendency to bleed on and off for up to 7wks after a loss...usually I have to go on bc to get it to stop so I requested misoprostol yesterday get things moving. I took a hpt in case my midwife did prescribe it...wanted to make sure my levels were dropping before taking the med. Evidently my levels aren't dropping though...I'll be 5wks tomorrow.My midwife's office just called me back from yesterday. She said no to the med and that it can take up to 2wks for the bleeding to stop so she'll do a beta in 2wks...if she would check her notes she'd see that I've already been bleeding almost 2wks so two more weeks would be 4wks...gah!! I told the nurse I'm transferring care to my pcp and won't need those betas ordered. Thanks for being here for me ladies...this has been such an emotional week

Wow your tests are really dark! I am glad you are getting in to have another beta done! Keep us posted!! Will be thinking of you!!
    *Sara-27**Lee-27* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

So glad you are transferring. to that MW!

I hope you get some answers today.

With Libby, I had quite a bit of cramping and bleeding very early on, as well as low numbers, but they did rise appropriately. My progesterone was on the lowest end of normal, which I'm assuming is why I had the bleeding, but my Doc refused to order progesterone. The bleeding did subside to spotting, but it lasted throughout the first tri.

Thinking of you. Not knowing what's going on must be maddening.

Good luck today!!! I hope they get your results to you fast!!

My appt went well . My dr was very compassionate and understanding . She did a pelvic exam to feel for masses that might indicate ectopic but said everything feels normal. She stat ordered a beta and said she'd call when the results were back. Since it's a teaching hospital she had the primary dr come in to talk with me too. He said if my betas are good then I need to contact my RE asap because I'm "uber high risk" and they'll be able to assess my need for progesterone support and aspirin. They were both optimistic and said since my cervix is closed it's not an inevitable miscarriage.

I'm nervous...don't want to get my hopes up but I can't help it...just really praying for a sticky bean!!!

Your cervix being closed is great news!! I'll be keeping all my for a high beta!!! Did they say how long before you got results from the beta? (Yes, I'm impatient!)

Hoping for great news!!
    *Sara-27**Lee-27* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

LOL, I'm impatient too!! She said she would get them to me today for sure barring any issues the lab might have which she said is very unlikely .

Eeek that all sounds SO positive! Praying that you get an amazing number!

Oh Kelly that wonderful news!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!