Thread: When to schedule a planned c-section

Default When to schedule a planned c-section

I'm due Sept 6th and need to have a repeat c-section (pelvic area is too narrow to birth a baby...trust me when I say I attempted and was unsuccessful after 46 hours of labor). So, since I'm not even going to attempt it again, I need to schedule it. I delivered my daughter at 41w1d. I would like to get as close to 40 weeks as possible with this baby too. I know they say second pregnancies usually come sooner so do you think they will let me at least reach Sept 1st or will want to schedule it the week before (August 31st is my daughter's birthday so we need to avoid that day). If they want me to go that week, do I have a leg to stand on to refuse and say not until after Sept 1st if I'm not having any complications? Or can a practice say, "sorry, this is how we operate"? Thanks!

From what I've experienced, RCS are generally scheduled for about 39wks.

You absolutely have a say in WHEN you want to schedule the RCS. Policy or not, do not schedule one for a time frame you are uncomfortable with!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Thanks. I don't know their schedule dates but Sept 1st is a Sunday so I'm sure they won't schedule that day but maybe the 2nd or 3rd. I know that's cutting it close to Sept 6th but I figure if my water breaks or I go into labor then we can just get to the hospital and have it then or wait until the 2nd or 3rd. I'm not worried really concerned about going into labor before the scheduled date b/c if this delivery is anything like the last the baby's head won't make it through the birth canal anyway and we will have time to get to the hospital for an emergency section.

Quote Originally Posted by Julbella78 View Post
    Thanks. I don't know their schedule dates but Sept 1st is a Sunday so I'm sure they won't schedule that day but maybe the 2nd or 3rd. I know that's cutting it close to Sept 6th but I figure if my water breaks or I go into labor then we can just get to the hospital and have it then or wait until the 2nd or 3rd. I'm not worried really concerned about going into labor before the scheduled date b/c if this delivery is anything like the last the baby's head won't make it through the birth canal anyway and we will have time to get to the hospital for an emergency section.
    I was going to say that in my post and forgot! Even if you go into labor, it wouldn't be an emergency situation. It doesn't take anytime at all to get an OR team/room together and prepped for a C/S so it is really not too big of a deal. Generally they will tell you that their 'policy' is to schedule at ___ or they 'have' to schedule at ___ but mostly that's whatever is normal and/or convenient for them Plus, the longer your LO bakes, the better

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I agree. My daughter was a healthy 7lbs 5oz. I think the closer to 40 the better.

The reccomendation by ACOG is no earlier than 39wks, and some hospitals are adpoting very strict policies concerning this. So I wouldn't do it a day before 39wks myself, and you absolutely have their own recommendations as legs to stand on. I think even 40wks is reasonable.