Thread: 9 Days Late 5 Neg HPT 1 Neg Blood Test

Default 9 Days Late 5 Neg HPT 1 Neg Blood Test

I'm officially 9 days late, five HPT's and one blood test have all had a negative result. The only "symptoms" I have, be they associated or not period or pregnancy related, are daily headaches, increased body temp (typically I'm always chilly), mild cramping on and off, developed sore breasts yesterday. I have no other symptoms towards PMS or pregnancy, and my body is not behaving as it has in recent years before a period. I've not recently started or stopped any medication, I have no medical conditions, no symptoms that would indicate a vaginal/urinary infection, I haven't been under any higher than usual stress levels, and I have never been late for a period except when I've been pregnant. I'm 30 years old, with two children, so this is really bugging me! Every pregnancy I've had, be it live birth or miscarriage, I have always had a positive HPT before or soon after my missed period. I've always been very intune with my body, so to have my body be so "out of whack" is really throwing me for a loop! The dr said I should re-test again in a week and if nothing shows up to fill a prescription for something that will force my body to have a period, to "reset" my cycle. Is there anything else that could be causing me to miss a period or have it be so delayed? How likely is it, given the negative urine and blood test (blood test was done at six days late), that I could be pregnant? I do have unprotected sex with a committed partner 2-3 times per month, but have always been intune enough with my body to avoid unwanted pregnancy. I've managed to not get pregnant for seven years just using natural family planning. The last time we had unprotected sex was 14 days ago. I'm wondering if perhaps I ovulated late and just didn't notice and that may be the cause for either a late period or negative on the pregnancy test because it would still be too soon to pick up the HCG.

Unfortunately, a negative blood test confirms you are not pregnant.
    Before I got pregnant my cycles were typically around 33 days. One month I had a cycle that lasted over 40 days, my period was over 10 days late. I went to the dr who told me that some months that just happens for no good reason. Sometimes it's stress related, or having to do with dietary changes, even a change of season or sleeping habits could cause it.

Do you think it's possible that there was just not enough hcg in my system to show up positive on a blood test? They gave me a qualitative answer not a quantative. With having sex on the 11th and possible late ovulation, that would put me around three weeks, which most often isn't detectable levels yet, sometimes the levels don't reach the 25, definative yes mark until 5-6 weeks.

Blog Entries

An HCG level of 5 and above is positive, less is negative. So even at being around 3 weeks a blood test should be accurate while a urine test would likely be negative either way. I do think that you were not pregnant at the time of the blood test.

Periods can be the same for months or years and then change up for a month or two for no apparent reason.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I agree with Jessica. Even with very very little HGC, they would consider the test positive. It's very very unlikely that at the point of the blood draw you were pregnant. Late periods are far more common than false blood test results.