Thread: bad period or should I go to Urgent Care?

Default bad period or should I go to Urgent Care?

I'm feeling really awful with constant nausea, headaches, mild stomach upset, and exhaustion. This started over a week ago right before my period started and although the bleeding is finally tapering off, I'm on day 8 of another really painful and heavy period. I had cramps leading up to my period, then 3 solid days of mind blowing, crippling cramps with excessive bleeding and extra large clots. Pretty scary stuff.

Back story: I had a 10 day awful period in February which I saw my doctor about, but he wasn't concerned (no testing and no exam). Then I got pregnant in March, but lost it within a few days. Miscarried/bled for 3 days. Then I got my period 25 days later in April and it was crazy heavy and painful, which I thought was from the miscarriage. But now I have had really bad nausea and an even worse period and I'm really scared something is wrong. I have an appointment with a new obgyn a week from Monday, but should I go to urgent care? I'm worried I have some sort of infection, but my lower abdomen does not hurt when I press on it. Could it still be wonky hormones from my miscarriage?

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Can you call your OB and express your concerns and see if they recommend the urgent care or wait until Monday? I would probably be more inclined to wait since I'm not sure if there is anything they would be able to do for your at the UC. Definitely call though! That does sound scary!

Thank you for responding Rachel. I just know my current doctor's office is really unresponsive, but my insurance changes on June 1st, so I have an appointment with a new doctor on June 10th, but I can't call them yet because I'm a new patient and I'm still on my old insurance (bad timing!). I can wait it out, but the intense headache and nausea is scaring me, but I don't see why or how I would have an infection - I've never had one before. Can someone just suddenly get a pelvic infection?

Are you having pain other than associated with cramps?
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

No, and the cramps stopped yesterday, but my stomach cramps up after I eat and the nausea is really bad and it's gotten progressively worse since right before my period. Today I can barely keep my head up and I keep getting hot flashes. I took my temp yesterday and I didn't have a fever. Maybe it's really, really messed up hormones from my mc?

(((Hugs hugs hugs)))...ugh Melissa I'm so sorry you're going through this !!

Have you taken a pg test recently? I started bleeding at 10dpo with this last pg and it was just like a regular af but lasted longer and the cramps were worse. Had I not tested I would have just assumed af had shown.

Urgent Care won't deal with bleeding/cramping...they always send women to ER. I would probably wait it out if I wasn't bleeding excessively, doubled over in pain, and no fever and let the dr know on Monday.

!!

Kup!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I honestly don't know but the two things I was most concerned about, pain and bleeding seem to be subsiding. I wish I had more to offer Sorry that you're going through this it sounds like the worst!! 8 days is a long time to have so many symptoms, I think urgent care could give you some meds to relieves the symptoms until your appt. There's no reason to have to feel so awful!

Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Your right Kelly, I was thinking that they couldn't do anything for me and I would have to go to the er, but with extreme nausea and a period that has finally tapered off? It sounds crazy so I'm talking myself out of going. My appointment isn't until a week from Monday, so I still have a while to wait. It's the extreme nausea associated with a heavy period that has me concerned, but why would I suddenly have an infection? I took 4 preg tests when my period started (crazy!) but they were all negative. Plus my temp dropped, but I stopped charting last weekend. I just want to feel better

Thank you ladies, you are always so supportive, somehow it makes me feel better

I hope you feel better soon and get some answers! It sounds scary.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

Thanks Mariah. Still super nauseous with bad headache and tummy trouble. And still spotting, but I've decided to wait until my appointment in 10 days. I hope this settles down soon.

If you're still having problems, you need to go in to urgent care at least. As a nurse I'm concerned with 1) the headache that has been going on this long. That's not normal and not okay. Also it's not something an OBGYN usually treats so they would most likely send you to a family practice doc for follow up. I had viral encephalitis in March 2011 and went through a lot of the same stuff so that's why I'm very concerned. And 2) the nausea. How much fluids and food are you taking in? It doesn't take long for people to get into trouble by being dehydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemonster View Post
    If you're still having problems, you need to go in to urgent care at least. As a nurse I'm concerned with 1) the headache that has been going on this long. That's not normal and not okay. Also it's not something an OBGYN usually treats so they would most likely send you to a family practice doc for follow up. I had viral encephalitis in March 2011 and went through a lot of the same stuff so that's why I'm very concerned. And 2) the nausea. How much fluids and food are you taking in? It doesn't take long for people to get into trouble by being dehydrated.
    I wanted to thank you for your response. I ended having a really rough night Friday and could no longer keep food down, so Saturday morning we went to the er to make sure I wasn't having complications with my mc/period. I was concerned I could have an infection because I never had a follow up for my mc and I just had 11 days of bleeding with intense cramping and pain. After blood work, urine test, and pelvic ultrasound it was determined I did not have an infection, thankfully. I was so relieved (as was my husband) and I slept much better that night. I am still battling nausea (headache has subsided) and some pain in both ovaries. I'm now wondering if my acupuncture sessions are overstimulating my ovaries, because I was much worse Friday night, which was a few hours after my session. I know it's a stretch but I'm grasping at straws here!

I am glad that you are feeling a little bit better and that there was no infection! I would definitely tell your acupuncturist about how you are feeling. Hopefully they can help
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13