Thread: Amish-made cribs

Default Amish-made cribs

Has anybody purchased baby furniture from the Amish? I'm looking for the most Eco-friendly non toxic option for baby furniture and it seems like the Amish may be my best bet. Just curious if anyone else had Amish built furniture and where you got it from. I'm thinking of driving into PA from NY to look.

I live in the Phiolly suburbs, so it's not too far a drive to Amish country. I have a neighbor who bought an Amish crib (and maybe even a dresser to match). I know she loves it. If you'd like, I can ask where she got it.

That would be awesome! Thanks! I'm apprehensive to purchase from stores claiming Amish made--I'd rather go directly to the source

You can also look into AP Industries - a few of their cribs are made in Canada using non-toxic materials. Great quality!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I am going to an Amish town in July for a silent auction (getting 1/4 of a cow from the Amish butcher too ) and I NEVER even thought about this!! I will take a look at what all they have at the auction and possibly get our crib from them!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

We're going to have to go soon bc I'm due in July, so I'll keep you posted on what I find when we go!

I wish I would have thought about this for my kids. Where I live there are a few Amish communities within 30-60 minutes away. Sounds pretty cool!

Girls, hubby and I are headed up to Lancaster on Monday! I will report back what I find

Have fun! We are planning a weekend out that way soon!

Awesome definitely let us know! My trip isn't until July but I'll take pics if they have anything!

We are back and our baby has furniture
    Unfortunately, we were somewhat disappointed in the availability of cribs! Apparently, to meet federal standards, a prototype of every crib design must be sent to the federal government for testing. It costs between $500 and $1500 for this process, and the prototype is destroyed after testing! So this process has put a lot of crib makers out of business, or they just stopped making cribs.
    There is a Amish company based out of Ohio that is available for order through the stores in Lancaster, and they build with organic or very close to organic products, but in limited stain options. Their cribs were great but very expensive and the organic stain was in shades that we didn't like and would clash with our dark wood floors.
    So in the end we opted to go with a crib made by one of the only crib makers left in Lancaster County. He's just started up, so he only has one design, but it is a beautiful and very well made crib. It's made of all 100% Pennsylvania and/or NY wood. And it was very affordable. Unfortunately, he does not use the organic finishing products I was hoping for, but it just felt right to us to support a small craftsman, especially when he is the only one left!! We ordered the crib through Snyder's family furniture, which is where i<3cheesysmiles' friend bought her children's furniture. They're located in Gordonville. I was very happy with them. They have the Ohio company's cribs too.
    So all in all it was a very successful trip!
    Also, just a tip, we stopped at George's Woodcraft Furniture in Marietta, PA. They do not make cribs bc they do a ton of custom work which it would be ridiculous to try to get every crib certified obviously, but they have seriously the most beautifully made furniture I have ever seen. Unfortunately it was out of our price range for things we want but don't NEED. But if you're looking for a custom piece, check them out. Amazing pieces.

I'm glad my friend's recommendation helped!

That is good to know, and makes sense. I won't get my hopes up on finding anything at the Amish auction I'm going to in July!