Thread: Did you guys see this?

Hybrid View

Default Did you guys see this?

Makes me absolutely furious.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/0...ouri-hospital/

If anyone still thinks that having a legally binding contract confers the same sort of protection that a legal marriage does, they really must not be paying attention.

I did, and it is really pathetic how the couple was treated. Obviously, there are some issues within the family, but for the hopsital and the police to take sides for what appears to be discriminatory reasons is unacceptable.
    Lily

Completely sad and shameful.

Oh, and the hospital's statement: "This was an issue of disruptive and belligerent behavior by the visitor that affected patient care." Where do you think their interpretation of "disruptive and belligerent" came from? Maybe the patient's homophobic family and the same nurse who escalated the whole thing by blatantly ignoring the Power of Attorney, making rude personal comments, and let's not forget disregarding the hospital's own policy specifically acknowledging domestic partners’ visitation rights? And even if he had become belligerent, how calm are you supposed to remain when the police are called on you when you've committed no crime?

This is just another terrible waste of civic resources and the creation of unnecessary conflict borne out of senseless discrimination. That nurse, the patient's family, the police involved ... they all need to be better versions of themselves. It hurts to read stories like this.

How sad! And this will be happening so much more than the media will report on. Very upsetting to think about.

I did not see it but, that is a huge shame.