Thread: Pros and Cons of Homeschooling

Threaded View

Pros and cons are going to depend on your personal goals for your child. I am 100% sure that I can give my child a better education, according to our personal goals and values than they can receive in a typical public school setting. I am also 100% sure that I do not need a teaching degree to do this. Also, I am sure that I would not be capable of teaching in a public school without the time and hard work that a public school teacher puts in to earn the degrees that they have. I have nothing but good things to say about most teachers. I had amazing ones myself and the ones that my children have had during the time they attended school were wonderful, hard working, dedicated, kind people. In spite of that, I stand by my belief that our nations schools (and my state specifically has made drastic cuts to school budgets) are not creating an environment best suited to educate our children. I had these conversations with the principal and 3 of the teachers at the charter school my kids were attending when we went to clean out their lockers and say goodbye and all 4 of them said that they completely agreed and one teacher even said that she's on the brink herself of making that same choice.

I think it's really important to clear up any notion of "us" versus "them". As parents and educators we all want what is best for our children, and all children. In every family that is going to look different. Judgements and blanket statements are dangerous and offensive. I'm sensitive about this because I have some cousins who were homeschooled and you know what? They were very sheltered and they are what some might call socially awkward and they'd stand out in a crowd of their peers as "different". Almost every member of my extended family, when they hear we homeschool, makes some rude statement about that family and "do you want your kids to be like them?" That's ONE family! And guess what? Every child in that family got accepted into a good college and is now married and having babies and working in respected careers. Some of the ones who like to talk smack about them are recovering drug addicts, on their 3rd marriage, in and out of unemployment. Is any of it related to homeschool vs public school? WHO KNOWS! There are so many other variables that shape who we become. So many aspects of ones personality that is just ingrained in them (intovert/extrovert), so many, many, many variables.

Do I think homeschooling is best? For us, right now? Yes. Will it be for you? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think anyone can say that one way is better than another way across the board. I believe this about most things in life and parenting. We all choose our path and most of us make these choices based on our fierce love for our children and the values we hold in our hearts. You will know if it's right for you guys. If it isn't, you can change it. Good luck!

Sorry this is so long! I got worked up. lol
    Last edited by Bridget; 04-07-2013 at 08:12 PM.