Thread: Homeschooling multiple children at different ages

Default Homeschooling multiple children at different ages

How does this work? Do you teach them at the same time? Separately? I have a 5.5 yo DD and a 3.5 yo DS. Really considering homeschool, but have NO clue where to start, how it works, or even if I'd be able to provide them with the best education they possibly could have.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I am graduating my first child this year. Have I provided him with the best education possible? Probably not. But is that what he would have gotten in public school (our only other option)? I don't think so.

When the kids were younger I sat at the table with them and worked through their math an reading/LA with them one at a time. We always did science and history together. Later we would all sit down together and do math and I would help anyone who needed it. Now they all work on their own and come to me if they need me.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I am graduating my first child this year. Have I provided him with the best education possible? Probably not. But is that what he would have gotten in public school (our only other option)? I don't think so.

When the kids were younger I sat at the table with them and worked through their math an reading/LA with them one at a time. We always did science and history together. Later we would all sit down together and do math and I would help anyone who needed it. Now they all work on their own and come to me if they need me.
    Same here but my oldest is graduating next year .

My nephew uses K12 online public school www.k12.com/schools-programs/online-public-schools...he is doing very well with it and it's free if you already own a computer with internet.

Eta...I prefer to tailor my kids' academics/education but it does take more research than going with an online or prepackaged program. I just suggested the above because it may be worth looking into or to get you started...I have no personal experience .
    Last edited by kellyowens; 04-06-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

What does "the best education they could possibly have" mean to you? Everyone will have a different answer to that.

For me, it means I want to infuse my kids with curiosity. A curious child will be self-motivated to continue learning, and will enjoy it, and that will spill over into their adult lives. I want my children to have an inner confidence of who they are and how to make decisions for themselves. I want to allow them to THINK, not just be taught to a test. I want my children to have lots of opportunities to get out and explore. Explore nature, explore museums, explore national landmarks, do experiments, etc. I want lots of opportunities to work on building their character, values and pursue passions. I want them to have lots of time to play! I want to teach them real life skills like how to maintain a home, a budget, a garden, a car, etc. I want to teach them how to be successful, content, kind, capable adults.

MY answer might be very different from other people's answers. Probably a lot less of an academic answer, and that's ok. I believe encouraging a love for learning is more important than the education itself.

Do I think kids in public school are taught all those things? I think there are some very well educated wonderful kids that come out of public schools. There are some great teachers in public schools... and then there are the others. But the specific combination that I want for my children does not exist there. I want the freedom and flexibility to focus on my children, who I know better than anyone else, and create a learning environment that is best for them. And honestly, homeschooling is not right for everyone, and that's ok. The good news is, if you try it and decide its not right for you, then they go back to public school and no harm done. Don't feel afraid of commitment. You are allowed to change your mind, change your method, change whatever you want later down the road.

The fantastic thing about homeschooling is that there are infinite ways to do it. Here is a link that briefly explains several different methods. And of course you can change as you go, or mix ideas to get your own perfect fit. I know many homeschooling families and they all do things their own way, and they are all happy in what they are doing.

As far as teaching multiple ages, I haven't been there yet, so I don't know. But my homeschooling friends make it work. And say that the younger kids are motivated to learn by watching their older siblings. Its definitely possible!

Quote Originally Posted by KC's wifey View Post
    What does "the best education they could possibly have" mean to you? Everyone will have a different answer to that.

For me, it means I want to infuse my kids with curiosity. A curious child will be self-motivated to continue learning, and will enjoy it, and that will spill over into their adult lives. I want my children to have an inner confidence of who they are and how to make decisions for themselves. I want to allow them to THINK, not just be taught to a test. I want my children to have lots of opportunities to get out and explore. Explore nature, explore museums, explore national landmarks, do experiments, etc. I want lots of opportunities to work on building their character, values and pursue passions. I want them to have lots of time to play! I want to teach them real life skills like how to maintain a home, a budget, a garden, a car, etc. I want to teach them how to be successful, content, kind, capable adults.

MY answer might be very different from other people's answers. Probably a lot less of an academic answer, and that's ok. I believe encouraging a love for learning is more important than the education itself.

Do I think kids in public school are taught all those things? I think there are some very well educated wonderful kids that come out of public schools. There are some great teachers in public schools... and then there are the others. But the specific combination that I want for my children does not exist there. I want the freedom and flexibility to focus on my children, who I know better than anyone else, and create a learning environment that is best for them. And honestly, homeschooling is not right for everyone, and that's ok. The good news is, if you try it and decide its not right for you, then they go back to public school and no harm done. Don't feel afraid of commitment. You are allowed to change your mind, change your method, change whatever you want later down the road.

The fantastic thing about homeschooling is that there are infinite ways to do it. Here is a link that briefly explains several different methods. And of course you can change as you go, or mix ideas to get your own perfect fit. I know many homeschooling families and they all do things their own way, and they are all happy in what they are doing.

As far as teaching multiple ages, I haven't been there yet, so I don't know. But my homeschooling friends make it work. And say that the younger kids are motivated to learn by watching their older siblings. Its definitely possible!

Thank you for this amazing answer. I feel the same way as you and reading this response makes me want to homeschool without a doubt. I guess I'm just worried about them absorbing the info from me vs a teacher in school. I'm worried about the authority issue that maybe they'll see me as "mom" and only "mom". Not mom and "teacher" I also have an almost one year old and not sure how I'd make it work while tailoring to her schedule and needs.

I'm concerned about making it work with two different children with two different personalities and different ages.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Quote Originally Posted by wannabmomof3 View Post
    Thank you for this amazing answer. I feel the same way as you and reading this response makes me want to homeschool without a doubt. I guess I'm just worried about them absorbing the info from me vs a teacher in school. I'm worried about the authority issue that maybe they'll see me as "mom" and only "mom". Not mom and "teacher" I also have an almost one year old and not sure how I'd make it work while tailoring to her schedule and needs.

I'm concerned about making it work with two different children with two different personalities and different ages.
    They already see you as a teacher. You are their mom, you teach them stuff every single day. And as their mom you are already their authority figure. A mother is already both of those things. Becoming a homeschooling mother is just an extension of who you already are and what you are already doing.

For your one year old, I would say just have a bunch of activities geared toward her age that she can do while the older one is doing school. There are tons of ideas on Pinterest. You can get magnetic letters/numbers and put them on a cookie sheet for her to sort and play with, you can make sensory bins, you can put a big towel on the ground with a storage tub with shallow water in it and let her splash and stomp in it (mix it up with bubbles, toys, etc.), put her in her highchair and let her finger paint, etc.

Some wonderful answers!

Quote Originally Posted by annejensen190 View Post
    I know I'd rather have my kids out making friends rather than homeschooling them, but I guess that's an individual choice
    Right, because 1) homeschooling means keeping your kids locked in the basement so they can't have friends, and 2) education really is about making friends.

Quote Originally Posted by annejensen190 View Post
    I know I'd rather have my kids out making friends rather than homeschooling them, but I guess that's an individual choice
    Troll?? Otherwise, why would someone make their first post inflammatory? Let's agree to ignore this and not respond!! This person is *trying* to stir up strife...don't take the bait. They're not here to learn or they would have asked something rather than make such an uninformed comment !!

Just my 2cents
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Troll?? Otherwise, why would someone make their first post inflammatory? Let's agree to ignore this and not respond!! This person is *trying* to stir up strife...don't take the bait. They're not here to learn or they would have asked something rather than make such an uninformed comment !!

Just my 2cents