Thread: Mood Stabilizers and Pregnancy

Hybrid View

Default Mood Stabilizers and Pregnancy

Hey all,

I had a couple of questions for everyone in here, just looking for a little but of input. I was recently diagnosed with a mild form of a rapid cycling bipolar disorder. For the longest time, they thought that it was depression. I wanted to know if any of you have had personal experience with taking a mood stabilizer and what you did around the time that you decided that you wanted to conceive. I don't want to get pregnant while on this medication, so I know that I will need to stop it when DH and I are TTC. Which mood stabilizer were you on, side effects, etc? Any advice would be great. Thanks! Feel free to PM me, if this is too personal of a subject to post about.

- Sierra
    DH:29 Me:25 TTC: #1 ;) M/C: 07/2012 <3

Good things come in small packages...

I've only been on Prestiq while pregnant it helps depression and I did not have many side effects except for vivid dreams I have not be diagnosed with bi-polar and I don't think is to treat bi-polar disorder the gyn diagnosed me with a "mood disorder". I would suggest speaking to your doctor about it more when you are ready to TTC.

I have bipolar and I am 31 weeks pregnant. I take 200 mg of Lamictal each day. This is the gold standard treatment in pregnant patients according to my psych doctor. The chance of birth defect is only .2% higher than the national average. It is fairly safe but carries an increased risk for cleft lip/palette. I have no symptoms other than I have to take it in the morning because it kind of wakes me up. A healthy mom = a happy baby. Family doctor told me I had to go off right away when I got pregnant but my ob, high-risk ob and psych doctor all agreed it is better for me to be on the medication and keeping myself healthy.

I was on Zoloft when I got a BFP. I was on it mostly for anxiety. My dr. Told me too stop taking it and I did. Talk about a train wrek. I still kind of am.
    I started to see a councilor, she was no help. She just told me what I already knew.
    My OB wants me too wait a few more weeks before getting back on anything.
    I think I'm going because I'm always on the warpath.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobot84 View Post
    I was on Zoloft when I got a BFP. I was on it mostly for anxiety. My dr. Told me too stop taking it and I did. Talk about a train wrek. I still kind of am.
    I started to see a councilor, she was no help. She just told me what I already knew.
    My OB wants me too wait a few more weeks before getting back on anything.
    I think I'm going because I'm always on the warpath.
    My friend was taken off of Xanax before her bfp and put on Zoloft while she was pregnant with her daughter. The baby is now the same age as Sophia my daughter only 6 days younger and is healthy and happy. I know medication is not always the first choice but, I am surprised they don't try something if you are feeling anxious. My family doctor told me Vesteril sp? is safe for pregnancy and it helps relieve anxiety. I took it before becoming pregnant with Sophia and I was unaware of the safety of it so I quit to later find out it was safe.

Thanks ladies! I am on Prozac and lamictal now. Just started the lamictal today. Using condoms for birth control, since the pill's effectiveness is lowered with lamictal, so I decided not to start taking it again. Will be temping and charting to track cycles too. Thank you!