Thread: She's eating her bed!?

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Default She's eating her bed!?

The dog has a habit of chewing on pencils and leaving bits of chewed wood on the floor. Scharae takes pencils to bed with her to underline words in her books she's not sure about and sometimes they fall under the bed where the dog often sleeps. The past week or two there has been a lot of chewed up wood on the floor of their room every morning and I've been blaming it on the dog, vacuuming, and reminding the girls pencils can't be on the floor.

Tonight I discovered it's Scharae. Eating her bunk bed. She is doing it awake a little, like her and Keira will do their few minutes of nighttime chatting after lights out and while K is talking Scharae rests her chin on the rail of the bed and eventually is scraping her teeth on it (she's VERY orally stimulated still, at almost 7). But the bulk of this is happening while she's asleep. She sleeps really heavy, but restlessly. I've put fabric around the rails in the past (she used to scrape her teeth on the bed when she was around 3/4) and she is such a tosser and turner she just ends up getting it off and chewing during the night anyhow I guess. I'd been redoing the fabric every morning without really thinking about the wood connection. I don't think she's swallowing it...much anyhow. But seriously...the bed looks horrid and I don't know how I missed it!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Does she have PICA? Or is it really just the oral stimulation she's after?

I'm pretty sure it's just oral stimulation. If she actually swallows the stuff she's got in her mouth it's generally unintentional. Mostly she chews or sucks on stuff. A friend of mine suggested asking the dentist for a night guard. I guess that's worth at try.

We have a very oral 5.5 yr old who chews on everything...he's not even paying attention, just gnawing. Maybe this sounds ridiculous but because I can't supervise him while he sleeps to make sure he's only chewing on things that are safe/acceptable I gave him a dog toy to chew on (made sure it's chemically safe!!). I feel silly admitting it but it works! I gave it to him during the day at first and when I saw him mouthing things I'd remind him to use his chewy (used a paci clip to clip it to him). Eventually it reduced night time chewing on other things. He doesn't have it now...got lost but he's starting to chew holes in his bedding again so I'm considering getting him another one (he tells me he misses his "chewy"). 5yrs is a lot different than 7yrs so maybe it's not something she'd even consider but I wanted to throw it out there (I just hope I don't get slammed for giving my child a dog toy but really, he didn't know it was for dogs...just thought it was his special thing)
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

No slamming at all! She's had dog toys also. Right now her chewy is a baby teething thing that I took apart and put the beads on a rope that was big enough to be a necklace for her. But I can't have her wearing it to bed-she moves around too much and it's big enough that it could choke her. She takes a blankie to bed with her and in the past has sucked on it when she quit sucking her thumb. I think what's happening is she's rolling around in bed, asleep, bumps up against the edge of the bed and just starts chewing. That's how she is in th day-kind of a juggernaut who bumps into things and will keep bumping in because it feels good/weird/different or will just absently pick something up and put it in her mouth just to see how it feels.

We had a "chewy blanket" too for a while but he ended up chewing anything that felt similar at night. It's a tough one for sure because like you said it's totally unintentional...he's sad when he ruins things and we have to get rid of them.

(((Hugs)))...it is frustrating ! Dh built bunkbeds and asked if I wanted them stained/painted...I just laughed and he said yeah, you're right . I feel you though !

If she'd keep a mouth guard in maybe that's a good solution...as long as she doesn't take it out, fall asleep chewing it, and not putting it back in right. That would be an issue with ds (but he's a bit younger)...he's also a mouth-breather.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I have seen things like these, which seem like they could be helpful in terms of offering an alternative. Or could you put one of the baby covers on it? Unfortunately, a nice soft wood is really satsifying to put your teeth into. Just reading this made me want to go bite a pencil!

http://www.amazon.com/CHEWY-TUBES-SU...rapy+toys+chew

http://www.amazon.com/THE-GRABBER-OR..._bxgy_ba_img_z
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)