Thread: Only 93 pounds!

Default Only 93 pounds!

Erin went to the doctor today because she's been feeling ill since Sunday with body aches, chills, headaches, and ears that feel "stuffy." They did some blood work and gave her antibiotics -- she has fluid in her ears and they're hoping the antibiotics will clear it. The scary thing is that she only weighs 93 pounds! They said the body aches is because her body is starving and is starting to feed on her muscles. She said it's a combination of not taking time to eat and also that she has no appetite. They gave her something to stimulate her appetite, so I hope it helps.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Gosh that has to be hard for her! Is she on medication for ADD? That could cause a lack of appetite.

How tall is she? Has she had weight issues in the past.

She is not on medication for ADD. She has, yes, Suja. She was under 100 pounds in high school. They ran all kinds of tests and couldn't find anything wrong and that's when she was diagnosed with depression. About six years ago, though, she was diagnosed with hypoactive thyroid and her weight went a little high -- nothing TOO bad, but bigger than normal for her. She is 5' tall.

She claims she is just too busy to eat. She does work strange hours and is often not home at mealtimes. When she is home for dinner, she seems to eat well as far as I can see. And it's not that she's anorexic or TRYING to lose weight. She says she just isn't hungry.

She is about my height, and I was 92lbs. When I was in high school. Nothing wrong, just a little reedy. Back then, I could get away with eating a dozen bananas in one sitting. Can you encourage her to eat or drink higher calorie foods? For instance, adding avocado to the diet, using whole milk, full fat yogurt, etc.?

Yes, now that I am aware of the problem, I will definitely pay more attention and encourage her to eat better.

Is her thyroid med dose too high? I rapidly drop 5-10lbs below my normal when my meds need adjusting. I have *no* appetite when my thyroid is off in either direction. If it is meds then the thinner she gets the more over-medicated she'll be since body weight makes a difference.

Is she thin naturally? Has she ever struggled with an eating disorder...could she be in denial or hiding it? Did they give her Reglan (metaclopromide) by any chance? Is she struggling with or on meds for depression?

Maybe suggest to her that she should start drinking one or two ensure shakes daily?

(((Hugs))) thinking of you momma and praying for Erin!

Eta...just read where you said she doesn't struggle with anorexia . Also, she and I have the same bmi and my dr isn't concerned. She's on the thin side but maybe once winter/sick season is over she'll regain her appetite. Did they check her vitD, iron, and b12 levels by any chance? Low levels can wreak havoc...probably worth checking out if she hasn't had them done.
    Last edited by kellyowens; 04-04-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Is her thyroid med dose too high? I rapidly drop 5-10lbs below my normal when my meds need adjusting. I have *no* appetite when my thyroid is off in either direction. If it is meds then the thinner she gets the more over-medicated she'll be since body weight makes a difference.

Is she thin naturally? Has she ever struggled with an eating disorder...could she be in denial or hiding it? Did they give her Reglan (metaclopromide) by any chance? Is she struggling with or on meds for depression?

Maybe suggest to her that she should start drinking one or two ensure shakes daily?

(((Hugs))) thinking of you momma and praying for Erin!
    Thanks, Kelly. Quite honestly, she probably hasn't even been taking her medication. She tends to forget and goes off her meds more often than not. She is naturally thin, always has been, and I honestly don't believe she has an eating disorder. I supposed it's possible that her depression is involved if she's not taking her meds for that. Although she's had it pretty well under control, she has been under more stress lately with work and with Nathan's dad.

I was going to ask all the same things as kelly

My daughter is around 5'1' and weighs about 85lbs, but I guess as a teen she shouldn't way as much as an adult. I wouldn't even call her "skinny" just slender. But that depends a lot on build.

It also depends on the build and even though she is short there is still small boned, medium boned , and large boned. For one person being 93 lbs for 5' is normal for another they might appear to be too thin. I would look anorexic if I were 93 lbs and I'm 5'1''. If she has always been thin I think I'd ask another doctor. When I am stressed and busy I don't always want to stop and eat. Also, here a great website us ladies can put in our weight and height and it shows others the same size. http://www.mybodygallery.com/search....to=Large&new=1
    Last edited by hotpinkmomma0811; 04-05-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBabe View Post
    Thanks, Kelly. Quite honestly, she probably hasn't even been taking her medication. She tends to forget and goes off her meds more often than not. She is naturally thin, always has been, and I honestly don't believe she has an eating disorder. I supposed it's possible that her depression is involved if she's not taking her meds for that. Although she's had it pretty well under control, she has been under more stress lately with work and with Nathan's dad.
    Wow, she should have her thyroid levels checked then...inconsistency with thyroid meds can eventually become life-threatening. I have lost weight when I'm undermedicated because of the lack of appetite and muscle wastage (no activity due to extreme fatigue).

Does she have a pill case so she can remember to take her meds? Also, if she is inconsistent or suddenly stops her depression meds it can cause worsening of symptoms...she needs to be on them consistently and gradually weaned off which should be determined by her dr after an evaluation.

It's hard to stand back and let her make her own decisions I'm sure (((hugs))). Keep doing what you do, encourage, support, and tough love when needed
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

The did blood work and one of the things they're checking is her thyroid levels. Ideally, if she keeps her meds on the kitchen counter, she's more apt to remember to take them, but DH complains about things being on the counter, so she quit keeping them there. I'll sit down and talk with her this weekend and see what we can come up with.