Thread: Chest/back pain

Default Chest/back pain

Lately I've been noticing after eating (doesn't seem to matter what it is) I get chest pain that goes into my shoulder blade. It's fairly painful and annoying really. I see my Dr in May but I don't know if I should call and mention it sooner. I am on the paranoid side of things and I always feel dumb when I have certain issues.

Blog Entries

Since it is after eating my first guess would be heartburn. That pain can manifest itself in many ways and be quite painful. Try an antacid and see if it helps.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

I am almost positive it is your gallbladder. I had those very same symptoms (and treated it like heartburn for months) until I had an extremely painful attack that landed me in the ER. It probably won't hurt to wait until your appointment in May but I would definitely make sure to ask for an ultrasound of your gallbladder and common bile duct. Meanwhile it is a good idea to avoid fatty foods because they can cause the pain to flare up.

I was going to suggest gallbladder as well. I would make an appt and have it checked out. They can check your gallbladder with an ultrasound. I would not wait ... I did and having 2 surgeries while on vacation, hospitalized for 3 days with a nursing 1 yo was not fun.

Like SarahBeth said, ask the to check it specifically. My primary Dr was treating it as indigestion and heartburn, I went to see a GI dr on my own.

ETA: It was almost a year after I started having trouble that I ended up in the hospital. So it was not an immediate thing.
    Last edited by impatient; 04-04-2013 at 08:15 PM.

I would call and ask to be sure. May is still a bit far away.

I know almost nothing about gallbladder issues EXCEPT that it can cause pain in the chest and shoulder after eating, especially fried or fattening foods. I would call and make an appointment for as soon as they can see you. I don't know what the connection is, but every time I hear of someone having gallbladder issues, it's always within a few months of them having a baby.

It is not dumb to call your doctor about chest pain. It is dumb not to call!! Just call.

Also check for Pancreatitis. That can also cause chest and left arm pain after eating.

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post
    I don't know what the connection is, but every time I hear of someone having gallbladder issues, it's always within a few months of them having a baby.
    I do not know why either but when I was in the hospital, the nurses told me that most of their gallbladder patients were moms who just had a baby, more so right after the 2nd one.

Just got back from Dr. She thinks that it's muscular. Said to try Zantac to see if it helps after eating but doesn't think it'srelated.. says if it was the right side it would be different.

Good. I am glad you had it checked out.