Thread: wide-width shoes

Blog Entries

Default wide-width shoes

I struggle to find shoes that Ali will actually wear and not complain about. Right now she has rain boots and knock-off Crocs that she'll wear...and that's it. She will need sneakers for playground stuff this spring/summer, but every time I have her try on a pair she says they are too tight. I think she may just have wide feet so regular sizes aren't comfortable for her. But I very rarely see wide-width shoes for kiddos. If you have to buy wider shoes for your kids, what brands do you buy and where do you find them? I would prefer to actually have her try them on before buying, so ordering online isn't my first choice.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Payless Shoes often has wide widths. We also have had good luck with New Balance. Scharae's issue is more the thickness of her foot causing her to need more room than the actual width but she describes it the same as I would expect her to if her foot itself was wide.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Blog Entries

New Balance would be good...in fact, in one of the towns DH teaches in there is a NB store. We may have to tag along one day and visit! Payless has disappointed me more often than not. Their selection per size is limited, and every time I've bought shoes with velcro it wears out before the life of the shoes. NB shoes fit me really well and hold up great, so I may check that option out. Thx for the tips!

I've had hit and miss luck with Payless. But now that I think about it my hit is with Keira who is easier to fit and easier on her shoes and my misses are on Scharae. Scharae usually lives in mud boots and some nicer boots. If it's not PE days at school she refuses to wear regular shoes. The boots just are more comfortable for her feet...and boots on the wrong feet are even better (however at age 7 it's not really that adorable anymore!)

I'm also a NB fan. That and Adidas. We've tried some Adidas for her and had luck but the selection is much more limited than NB. Good luck!

New balance, asics and stride rite offer wide sizes for kids. Most shoes in stride rite stores come in wide widths. I've been buying Jayden tsukihoshi shoes. They do not come in actual wide sizes but they run wide. They are hard to find and expensive but they fit him so well that I don't mine. Nordstrom sells them as well as amazon. Good luck, I know it's frustrating to buy shoes for wide width kids :/
    Jenny 32, Jason 34, 1 cat, 12/09

I'd go to a small, independently owned store or a stride rite in your local mall (Nordtsrom is agood idea, too, if you have one) and get a current measurement. Once you have that, just jump on zappos.com and buy to the size. They have tons of choices.

I was going to suggest NB and stride rite too.

I used to work with kid shoes and stride rite has wide and extra wide with shoes. I definitely recommend them.

Ugh. My kid is the same. She hates anything touching her feet. Crocs, rain boots, and Lands End stuff is her total repertoire. We shop at Nordstroms now because their return policy is so great...and our return rate is about 80%!

My 3yr old's favorite shoes are skidders (we call them sock shoes). She's worn them since she started walking . She has wider feet and these are very roomy in the toes without slipping off her heel (wide shoes slip off of her feet because they're fine for her toes but to wide for her heel). Not sure if they're a viable option for what you need them for though. Dd wears them everywhere and only wears something else if it's rainy (waterboots). I love that she can put them on and take them off herself!

Eta...http://skidders.com/index.aspx
    Last edited by kellyowens; 04-06-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I'd also recommend stride rite. In the past, I would just buy shoes wherever, but someone gave DS2 a gift card to stride rite. He wasn't really wearing shows before we got it, and we got his foot measured properly, and the man helped us find the right size. He also has wide and thick feet.

Definitely hit a kids' shoe store to get a proper measurement!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

Blog Entries

I guess that's what I need to do, find a store where they really know how to measure kiddos' feet. We used to have a Stride-Rite in town but they closed. Not sure where else to go around here, except the NB store a few towns over.

Do you have a Nordstrom? Like Tapir said-they're pretty great with shoes and fititng them for kids. We have a running store that only carries running shoes but they have a really great sizing system and will adpat it for kids to tell you a good size as well as what kind of shoes-not just running ones even though that's their specialty-are going to be best for their feet.

Blog Entries

No Nordstrom...we have a VonMaur which is a high-end clothing store and I believe they may carry Stride Rite shoes. I don't know how adept their staff is at fitting kids...we don't shop there. But it would be worth a trip in to at least try a fitting.

DD1 has a high instep, i have been buying wides because of this. i agree payless stinks with wide widths. next 40.00 will be going to stride rite! walmart shoes garanimals are great, but DD1 (age 4) has been wearing them out every 3 months, ugh.
    + = welcome Summer Alannah!! 9-8-10