Thread: placenta previa experience?

Blog Entries

Default placenta previa experience?

I know this has come up in the forums over the many years I've been around here, but other than the name and a brief description of what it is, I couldn't have told you anything else about it. Fast forward to today, when I received a call from my doctor's office telling me that they reviewed my u/s from last week and baby looks great (yay!) but I have a bit of placenta previa going on (boo!). It's not covering the cervix but is very close, so they'll do a follow-up u/s at 28 weeks.

So of course I google this. I learned that if the placenta doesn't move on its own--which in many cases I guess it actually does and everything is a-ok--a c-section is necessary. And this terrifies me. The idea of surgery terrifies me. And recovery. And most of all, not being able to deliver my baby vaginally.

I guess my question is to those who have had this: did the placenta move to a better position? If it didn't what kinds of things did you need to do?

I probably shouldn't worry about it yet since things may resolve on their own, but I can't help it!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I wouldn't worry too much about it yet, there is still plenty if time. But maybe try to check out spinningbabies.com they might have some suggestions.

Yeah, I don't think I'd worry about it quite yet. They told me the same thing during an ultrasound with Erin, but even though she was born prematurely, it had moved before then and was not an issue.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

I think it is too early to worry. The fact that it isn't completely covering the cervix means it will likely move enough not to need a c/s.

They told me the same with T at 20 weeks (not a full cover, just very close) and I was freaked out. At a follow up I asked the u/s technician who said she wished the nurses would stop scaring mom's about it. She said in these cases it usually moves and sure enough it did with no issues. Hopefully it'll be fine and I wouldn't allow stress about it into your life until it's necessary if I was you.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I had some bleeding at 17 weeks and was diagnosed with a partial previa. By my 20 week ultrasound it had moved up and was not an issue at all! In those three weeks google freaked me out completely. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, you have lots of time left!

6w3d132 / 9w5d180 / 13w3d155

With DD, mine was partially covering the cervix at the 20 week u/s but by 30 weeks it was moved out of the way & everything was fine. I wouldn't worry just yet. I did & I got really freaked out for nothing.
    Joanie (33), DH (33), Thomas (13), Angel Baby 9/9/10, Katherine (2), Angel Baby 8/28/12, Daniel (born 6/23/13 at 35 weeks)

Blog Entries

Thanks ladies. I will try not to worry too much. Sounds like the chances of it moving on its own are pretty good, so I'll just think positive thoughts.

If it's not covering the cervix now, then it won't. It moves away as the uterus expands, so I wouldn't worry. Sometimes a previa will cause bleeding, but that's usually only if it's a partial or complete previa and if your's isn't even over the cervix it's not even considered a previa.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

I was one of the unlucky ones who had a partial previa that did not resolve itself. In. Y research (five years ago) I found that 85% of the time the previa resolves on its own. Like the pp said, the placenta just moves with your growing uterus. Mine was never covering the cervix and was measuring at 28 weeks around 1 cm (not at all sure on this measurment) away from the opening. If you would like the whole story, let me know. But the condensed version is...
    bed rest for about 3 weeks
    Walked around for 10 days then had a big bleed
    bed rest till the end
    c section at 36 weeks

But like I said earlier, the odds are totally in your favor for it moving!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

My placenta was completely covering the cervix at 19 weeks and had moved by 24 weeks. I hope your does the same! But I'm told it usually moves on its own.
    DD 05/14/2013

This was exactly the case with my current pregnancy. I got good news...the placenta did move up as my uterus expanded. Although the placenta is still close, they wanted it 2 cm from my cervix. It was 2.2. Whew! Just made it. They said it shouldn't/won't affect labor and delivery. So hopefully the same will happen for you!!! KUP!!!!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I had placenta previa early on with Natalie but my placenta moved on its own by the time they did another u/s. I hope it resolves itself for you

Blog Entries

Update: I had my u/s today and apparently the placenta has not moved. I am now awaiting my next OB appt (in 2 weeks) to find out what my doctor says. Again, the placenta isn't covering the cervix but is very close...they didn't give me a measurement, though. I was told to abstain from sex (no problem...not interested right now!) but other than that I can resume all other activity.

Trying not to worry but like I said before, I really, really want to deliver this baby naturally!