Thread: Ballet hair?

Default Ballet hair?

Noe has been taking a ballet class this spring and has her first recital tomorrow. She's excited! She loves her class and her teacher. But I'm dreading trying to figure out her hair. She has very fine straight hair cut into a short bob with bangs. Her ballet teacher handed out a sheet at the last class with some "ideas" for how to do their hair for the recital -- basically she would like them all to have the typical ballet hair with everything slicked back into a bun or ponytail, and they have a flower to pin to it. She said for Noe's maybe I could slick it all back with "lots of gel" and use clips to hold it back behind her ears. We don't even have gel, and with her very fine hair, I'm afraid it's going to look weird. The other little girls in her class all have long hair with no bangs that they already wear back in a pony or bun, so for them this is a no-brainer, but I really have no idea what to do.
    Has anyone else had a girl with short, fine, straight hair that needed to be put back in a ballet style? Any tips you could share? We have a dress rehearsal this afternoon so I'm going to try it out, but I'm not confident at all that it's not going to look stupid. Noe also hates having her hair messed with and cries when it's brushed or pulled into a pony or clips, so I'm not looking forward to that either. Help?
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I think it would look strange slicking it all back too, like she was done kind of greaser lol. Personally, as long as it wouldn't be in her face and bothering her, I'd just leave it down. If the instructor doesn't like it, tough luck.

Are you able to pull the sides back and up with an elastic, and then wrap into a tiny bun? I know when my hair was in a bob, I could still pull the sides back. Maybe half up would work?

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Can you use a headband to give the appearance of it being pulled back like it's in a bun, and then just have a flower attached the headband and not even worry about what the hair looks like beyond the headband? That's what I would do and I'd tell the instructor to take a hike if she tried to pick on it. They're 2/3 year olds. Not professionals. At her age it's supposed to be fun and honing in on the hair, especially if the instructor dares to point out how her hair is different or wrong, does the opposite.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

One of the kids in Mira's class has hair like Noe (no bangs), and looked beautiful for her ballet recital. Her hair was slicked back and held with little jewel pins, and what could be put up in the back was a little bun. Honestly, it looked better than traditional ballet hair.

Could you do a test run tonight? I would think it would only take a little bit of gel to slick it back and maybe a bit of hairspray?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I think I would just pull the sides back and attach the flower. If the teacher didn't like it, tough.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

We have a test run this afternoon with the dress rehearsal. I think I'll dampen her hair and put a little stuff in it to help it hold, and then try pulling up the sides into a clip. I might try twisting the bangs back and pinning them -- I used to do that with dd1's when she was little, but she had a lot more hair. The flower has to be on the left side, so whatever I do has to go with that. I think it might look funny to have a ponytail on top with her bands and sides pulled in, and then the flower next to it on the side. I don't know. ugh. This is why I have her hair cut into a bob - so I don't have to deal with fussy hairdos!
    I would use a headband, but in the past she hasn't been willing to keep them in. Says they pinch. I'll post a pic after I try it this afternoon...

How about a cloth stretchy head band? That is what I did for Savana's hair when she took ballet. Wearing a pony or plastic headband would have been torture for her.

I am stalking ... I would like to get DD to a dance class because she would love it but I have been reluctant to sign her up because all of them require hair slicked back. He hair is super fine and not long/thick enough for a pony tail. To meet the described requirements, I think I would have shave her head. She has never even had a haircut .... I will be looking forward to your picture. And stalking for ideas.

Do the classes themselves ask for pulled back hair? In ours the only requirement is for the recital. For class every week her regular hair is fine. We sometimes put a clip or bow in it just for fun, but her teacher has never asked us to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Do the classes themselves ask for pulled back hair? In ours the only requirement is for the recital. For class every week her regular hair is fine. We sometimes put a clip or bow in it just for fun, but her teacher has never asked us to do anything.
    Every class ... And I keep looking for something less formal.

I remember being in ballet when I was four and a girl had glasses. The instructor told the parents for her not to wear glasses for the recital. Our class was on video and she was standing alone without glasses. I think something are so ridiculous and I also think bobs are so adorable and if the instructor doesn't like she can get over it. If your daughter will tolerate a really pretty bow I'd do that if it my daughter.

Finally updated with photo!
    The first day I tried twisting the little sections of hair into clips. It looked okay but didn't stay in so well. This is the second time I tried it, for her actual recital. There are clips holding the hair back and then a little ponytail in the back. It was cute. This pic is from after the performance, so some of it had slipped a little. But it worked pretty well, all told.

Last edited by pepperlru; 06-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Adorable!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Gosh she is cute! I think that worked perfectly!
    AKA Lisa724

Very cute! Glad it worked out in the end.

It looked great!