Thread: Medicaid worries

Default Medicaid worries

My wife and I have been matched with a Birth mom from Louisiana who is on Medicaid. She wants to come to Michigan (where we are located) to deliver. We are worried that Louisiana medicaid won't cover her birth expenses if she gives the baby up for adoption. Common opinion says that if it was an emergency delivery medicaid would pay, but since this is a planned trip we are worried that we would have to pay out of pocket for the birth. Does anyone have any experience with this? She won't be in Michigan long enough to apply for medicaid here. How worried should we be?

Honestly I would have her deliver in her home state. I think most of us in this room doing domestic adoption are staying within state.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Congratulations on your match !!!

Not sure but I would think they'd be able to answer your question at the Louisiana medicaid office . I would also ask the MI hospital that she would deliver at...I would think they'd want to see her as a patient first if possible or at least have her prenatal records transferred. You'll want to ask if they will accept out-of-state medicaid. If perchance it's not covered and it's very important to you to have her deliver in MI then you could work out a payment plan...the monthly payments are usually pretty reasonable. Overall though it'd probably be far less expensive for you to fly down there and stay at a hotel .

Hoping for the best for you! How exciting...when is bmom due? Kup!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Medicaid only covers out of state care of any kind in an emergency so records have to indicate such for it to be covered. Our family friends had bmom come live with them and her medicaid stopped and they had to pay for visits and delivery for the month she was with them. If you don't want to pay for it, she needs to deliver in Lousianna.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you!

ETA: I was on Medicaid with my last pregnancy and unless it was considerably pre-term, because I was already a high-risk pregnancy, medicaid would not cover an emergency delivery out of state in that case either. I got lucky that they stayed put as long as they did and my one trip I made across state lines I was right across the river so I could have been back in my state if I needed to but I don't even want to think of what the bill would have been. I ended up having to pay for my first c-section and half my care despite private insurance through my dh and it was over 27K. L&D charges were 11K+ on their own.
    Last edited by As Is; 04-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah 9/10 - 3/11
    FFS "Baby C" 4/23 - 5/26 Sibs Q,Z,J & K

When I had my first child years ago, I had Alabama medicaid, but I lived close to the state line. My doctor and the hospital where I delivered were in Georgia. It was still covered. I am not sure how it worked, but the best thing is to contact the medicaid office in your state and ask them about it. Is she getting prenatal care in LA and then just going to your state for delivery? That might not be the same.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

The hospital she delivers at has to be registered with the state carrying her Medicaid case. Hospitals close to state lines are often registered with all of them. For example, the hospital in Yankton, South Dakota was close enough to Nebraska and Iowa that they were registered with and accepted Medicaid from all 3 states. Sometimes specialty hospitals will also be registered with several states. The children's hospital in Omaha Nebraska accepts Missouri Medicaid

The hospital financial department should be able to tell you. She could also call her Medicaid office for a list of hospitals on their registration list - this may take several calls as it has been my experience that these offices are over booked and under organized. Yeah, we've moved around some and dealt with Medicaid in several different states. Not a subject I ever wanted to be an expert in but you walk the path at your feet and help who you can along the way. Good luck with your adoption.

Sorry this ended up as multiple posts. My phone is having issues. > Hope it all made sense. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Just a thought...I'm in Mi...wondering if U of M would do it. I would guess they do births frequently for out-of-staters. Not sure where you live but if it's close I'd recommend calling them and explaining your situation. They're really good about working things out for people . They happen to be the health care system I use (I live about 45mins west of Ann Arbor in Jackson).
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels