Thread: Let's play a round of name that rash

Default Let's play a round of name that rash

Olivia has always had eczema patches but this seems to be more raised and is very red. These particular spots have been there for a while but seem to be progressively getting worse. It doesn't seem to bother her at all but it is looking pretty awful lately. We haven't changed any laundry detergents and she hasn't been exposed to anything new other than I started using aveeno unscented sensitive skin products on her (that was after it started getting bad as well). She has her 15 month well child next Thursday and I am questioning if I should take her in to get this looked at sooner than that. Any and all advice welcome!

Blog Entries

I think that it could still be eczema. My experience with eczema is the longer the longer I have a patch the worse it gets and looks. I also recommend that you find a lotion that lasts through a wash (and in my experience nothing that Aveeno makes last through a wash). You should be able to feel the lotion finally come off the next time that you bathe her.

I'm really on a kick to recommend that everyone ditch fabric softener. The more people I talk to it seems that all sorts of issues ended when they stopped using fabric softener. You could always give that a shot, too.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

That looks like eczema my DS has on his bottom. In his case, dairy is a major contributor and (I think) processed sugar as well. I have really not found a good lotion to take care of it. We stopped using Rx steroid cream and use only coconut oil and lanolin. As far as I can tell, they do moisturize the skin but really do not do much for the eczema.

We don't do fabric softener at all and haven't for years.

Blog Entries

Good!

The lotions that I use are actually for very dry skin and made by Avon. Both the hand cream (my eczema is primarily on my hands) and the body lotion last through a wash.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

That looks like eczema. If you haven't tried CeraVe, try it. In the lotion section of any drug store. It fixes about 75% of the eczema I see without changing anything else...

Blog Entries

I switched to CeraVe stuff for my face and am having major issues with it...I switched because I heard nothing but good things about it.

Eczema it seems like it. That has to be uncomfortable for her.

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    That looks like eczema. If you haven't tried CeraVe, try it. In the lotion section of any drug store. It fixes about 75% of the eczema I see without changing anything else...
    Thank you! I will give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    Eczema it seems like it. That has to be uncomfortable for her.
    She doesn't really act like it bothers her but it looks so bad. I have it all over my hand and both my girls have patches all over but this is by far the worst we've had.

I agree that it sure could be eczema. I think you just need to try different ones until you find something that works. For Carson, when he gets patches that bad, the only thing that will actually clear it up is the Eucerine/steroid prescription cream. Otherwise, for little flare ups, we have used Auqaphor, Eucerine otc cream, CeraVe, and Mustella. They all help, I just can't decide what works better. We use Auqaphor and Eucerine most for everyday red areas.
    ~Andrea~

Our dermatologist and allergy doc both recently recommended the Vanicream Free & Clear brand of products for my DD's eczema. I love everything about it- no parabens, formaldehyde, masking fragrance, etc.. And it works! We use the cream that comes in a tub twice a day.

http://www.psico.com/products/products.cfm

I have eczema and looks like your DD. I now only use coconut oil on mine when it shows up
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)