Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equal Rights

I have a really hard time understanding what there is to be afraid of. I just really don't get it. Another couple getting married has NOTHING to do with your own personal relationship. It just kind of follows like race....my bff is married to a different race and I didn't....but neither of our marriages has anything to do with the other.

I am really lucky that most people i know personally and well enough to know their thoughts....are mostly liberal or socially liberal republicans. It's just a select few that are not...one of which is my DH's cousin.

My mom's brother was gay (my favorite uncle) and so is her sister. So my grade school cousins have two mommies. So I have kind of always known that in my life. And it wasn't like a huge shocker to the family when my sister said she was gay.....only thing my parents worried about was her being open on FB because they worried about work. Thank god Wisconsin is a state where that it is illegal to fire someone for being gay. I was shocked that there are 29 states where she wouldn't be protected.

I can see saying, yeah I don't really get it and it's not something I am interested in. It is absolutely NOT ok to stomp on someone's civil rights and discriminate....and even more disgusting to be proud of it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post
    I had no idea there was actually a name for it!!! He's been condescending all along, admitted he knew we were going to go around on this but posted it anyway, and then accused me of taking it too far for saying it was disgusting (hysterical female.... anyone?). He's a homophobic, sexist pig. Oh, yeah, let's not forget racist. I've heard that from him too. Discriminate against everyone!!!

He's an equal opportunity bigot, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    Do you care what the wife thinks or are you just curious? I can't imagine being able to be friends with the wife knowing the way the husband is and knowing she is willingly committed to him.

Glad at least you and DH are on the same page about dropping the friendship!
    This is where I am. You add the racism and sexism to the homophobia, and I move beyond just not wanting to be friends to actively disliking a person.

I guess I'm curious what her reaction is because they are newly married- they just celebrated their 1 yr anniversary- and I have to wonder if she even knew this stuff about him. Ryan has known him since middle school and didn't know, maybe she didn't either? I know what my reaction would be if Ryan suddenly started spewing his sh!t, so I want to see what she'll do. But I realize I may never get to see what her reaction is if she chooses not to post in our group.

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post
    I guess I'm curious what her reaction is because they are newly married- they just celebrated their 1 yr anniversary- and I have to wonder if she even knew this stuff about him. Ryan has known him since middle school and didn't know, maybe she didn't either? I know what my reaction would be if Ryan suddenly started spewing his sh!t, so I want to see what she'll do. But I realize I may never get to see what her reaction is if she chooses not to post in our group.
    Wow! I didn't realize he knew him for that long! That is so odd that he suddenly came out as such a jerk (no pun intended lol). I can't imagine. I would totally want to see/know the wife's reaction if they have only been married for a year! But yeah I wonder if you are likely to see it. I mean, she has got to be mortified on some level.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Yeah, they are longtime friends. I am proud that Ryan didn't even hesitate, he called it as soon as he saw the picture and he hadn't even seen the crap attached to it!

I called Todd out on the cultural liberalism and UDHR thing. Some of the notable quotes were:
    They [cultural liberalists] believe that the structure of one's family and the nature of marriage should be left up to individual decision, and they argue that, as long as one does no harm, no lifestyle is inherently better than any other.

And Article 1 of the UDHR states:
    All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

He never did respond as to how those things give him the right to be a bigot. Oh, right! Because they don't. Kinda made an even bigger ass of himself with that one.

Todd's wife responded in our group. She made it clear she is also conservative (honestly I knew that about them- I was born and raised for the last 37 years in AZ. I've come across more than my share of conservatives ). But she was very respectful and---- sane, unlike her husband has been. I responded and let her know I appreciated and respected her for explaining where she was at in her journey, especially when this wasn't her argument to begin with.

I let her know I do not surround myself with people who think those kinds of things (what Todd posted) about an entire group of people that I love. That I can't say "let's agree to disagree" because that would be like saying "you have a legitimate point of view, I just don't share it", and that's simply not the case.

Then Todd posted again and is trying to back-track. He's saying he posted it in haste and didn't read everything, but that he kept it intact because to alter it would be plagiarism How about not posting it? And then he defended it! I specifically asked him if he read it last night.

They both want to talk and salvage the friendship.
    Last edited by MomOfAnOnly; 03-28-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Sounds like his wife told him he was being an ass so he's back tracking....

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Sounds like his wife told him he was being an ass so he's back tracking....

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're right. I haven't responded to them again.

I am happy I stepped in this room . As far as the friendship thing goes in my opinion I made a hard decisions to end a 4 year friendship with someone who made a hateful statement about those of the Jewish faith and tried to make it out like her 5 year old said which he could have but, kids more times than not learn from their parents. learn from parents. For me its not worth the heartache of being angry with people so I can block and delete them if they get incredibly obnoxious. I hope that makes sense. For people that are hating just to hate is not okay with and the "lets just agree to disagree" doesn't always apply and sometimes though its hard I personally have to move on from them.