Thread: Shock Announcement

Default Shock Announcement

My 19 year old sister told my parents this morning (and me and DH because we were at their house) that she's pregnant. I almost dropped down with the shock. Her and her boyfriend have only been together since New Year, so I don't think it was planned. She thinks she's between 5 and 7 weeks along. I wanted to cry when she told us, and not happy tears. Me and DH have been trying since last January for our baby and now we finally have it it's like she comes along and just messes things up. Am I just being selfish? I personally don't think she's ready for a baby, she still lives with our parents and as I said, has only just met this guy. As a family, we barely even know him.

Our six week ultrasound was on Friday and although Pip (what we've decided to name the baby for now) looked perfectly fine, we're waiting until our 12 week u/s before telling people. Literally nobody knows except you ladies on here and the medical staff. Now though, I kind of don't even want to tell them.

This is all such a mess, I really don't know what to do why is this happening now?
    Me (25) DH (28) Pregnant With Baby #1 Lost An Angel 5/2/13

Oh hun I am sorry and that does suck. I understand what you mean by it feels like she is stealing your thunder. I hope that all is going well with Pip and when you tell your family that they defiantly take it with lots of excitement. I also think that she will realize what you are going though when you share the news but also she wont understand at the same time. I hope someone else has better advice but I am good for hugs

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)My Blog

Thank you, and I need all the hugs I can get rn! DH is being very supportive, saying things like it doesn't matter because as long as Pip is ok, we'll be fine. My mom is already baby crazy, looking at things to buy already. I wish they'd all calm down a bit tbh, because although its nice to be excited, anything could happen. Hoping and hoping it doesn't, but it might.

God I feel so awful

That is normal... I know i was that way especially with this one. I think its finally sinking in that I will be finally completing my family. Everyone is going nuts for me and my cousin that is expecting her 2nd at 19 is not getting as much because they realize how hard we worked for this. It is normal and fine to feel this way when you have struggled.

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)My Blog

Huge hugs! I can totally see why that would make it seem like she was stealing all the thunder. It is SO SO SO hard to see someone get pregnant like that when you've had negative after negative, followed by lots of heartache.
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

Hugs to you. I can understand why you are upset. After I had my losses, my niece (yes, NIECE!) who was 17 announced that she was having a baby. She told everyone right away (meanwhile I am relegated to telling no one for fear of having another loss) and went on to have a perfectly healthy baby. I had to fight my feelings of anger and jealously. I could not (and never will - thus my acceptance of the universe as it is because asking why is a recipe for disaster) understand how a kid without a clue, a dime or a proper father for her child could have a baby when my SO and I are grown, with good jobs, a loving relationship and a desire to have a family.
    Now, I see the paths that my niece and I have traveled down. Her road is a lot harder than mine. She may have had a child, but she struggles. Meanwhile, SO and I took time to grieve, grow and really prepare for the prospect of a little one. 5 years later, we are pregnant and hoping for the best - just as you are for your Pip!
    Her situation will not detract from yours. You and your DH are starting your own family - so while it is great to have the extended family support you, you are about to be a family all on your own. Your DH loves you and will support you and Pip - that is a blessing enough. I hope things work out for your sister, but your situations are so very different.
    I hope you are able to celebrate your good news with your family without any tension. Keep in mind, your sister is not trying to do anything to you. The timing just stinks. However, on the plus side, your baby is going to have a cousin right around the same age, which would be pretty cool (coming from someone who has only one cousin who is 20 years younger than me!).
    Lily

Thank you everyone. I know our situations are different and how lucky I am to have DH. My sisters going to the docs tomorrow to find out her due date and book am u/s and everything, I'm actually starting to get quite excited, kinda. It will be nice for Pip to have a cousin close to him or her in age. I guess it's a race to see who gives our parents their first grandchild first!!

A similar thing happened to us. . . In fact, it was the second unplanned pregnancy in a row for my BiL and his partner, and both had happened while we were TTC! Their due date was 4th May, and mine was 4th of May and was pushed back to 5th of May. Man I was peeved! In fact, I may or may not have run around the house squawking that "b*tch stole my due date!" So I feel your pain!

Its actually really awesome now, and DS gets on so well with both his cousins, and its neat the he has a cousin just five days different in age .

Ali, DH, Søren (4/2011) and a little one due in September.

Thanks Ourou. I got a text from my sister this morning and she's due the same day as me!!! 27th of November. Do I laugh or cry? I really don't want to tell my parents now argh this is so hard

What your feeling is totally normal With the way my husbands family pops out babies I have no chance (with Nolan or this baby) of being the only pregnant lady. It makes it really hard when you tried so hard for people to just randomly pop up pregnant.

Though, on the up side, how many people get to be pregnant side by side with their sister? Even if the circumstances aren't the best, your still going to be an Auntie AND a Mama!!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    What your feeling is totally normal With the way my husbands family pops out babies I have no chance (with Nolan or this baby) of being the only pregnant lady. It makes it really hard when you tried so hard for people to just randomly pop up pregnant.

Though, on the up side, how many people get to be pregnant side by side with their sister? Even if the circumstances aren't the best, your still going to be an Auntie AND a Mama!!
    Thank you I am excited, I really am, it's just taking a while to sink in

Oh crazycookie ...I'm so sorry !! My heart goes out to you for sure !!! I'm just now seeing this...thinking of you!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Thanks Kelly, and you can call me Claire haha. It's still all sinking in tbh. Thank you for your kind words, they're very much appreciated