Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Maybe a silly question

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default Maybe a silly question

    but for those of you who struggled to BF your first (supply issues, latch issues, etc) did you find that it was easier the second go round?

    I had major supply issues with Nolan and while I like to believe it was mostly circumstantial, it doesn't keep me from worrying, and wondering if I should start stocking up on supplements now....

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  2. #2

    Default

    I've never had this issue, but my understanding is that it depends on what caused it the first time and if that has changed. Some issues are just from stress due to inexperience or lack of knowledge. That is usually better the second time around because you've done this before. If it was something physical with you like a medical issue or an actual inability to produce milk then it might be more difficult to overcome. Every bfing relationship, just like every pregnancy, is different and comes with different challenges. Do you remember specifically what caused the low supply or what you did to counter it? With that information you could get some more specific answers from others that have BTDT before. Good luck.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colee View Post
    I've never had this issue, but my understanding is that it depends on what caused it the first time and if that has changed. Some issues are just from stress due to inexperience or lack of knowledge. That is usually better the second time around because you've done this before. If it was something physical with you like a medical issue or an actual inability to produce milk then it might be more difficult to overcome. Every bfing relationship, just like every pregnancy, is different and comes with different challenges. Do you remember specifically what caused the low supply or what you did to counter it? With that information you could get some more specific answers from others that have BTDT before. Good luck.
    Like I said, pretty sure it was circumstantial, since we had so many issues from the get go.

    He was born majorly sleepy, ended up jaundiced.
    Jaundice got worse, more sleepy, bili lights, etc.... '
    Doctors claimed he was "failure to thrive" and had me measuring intake (pumping/bottle feeding)
    He had horrible reflux and a harsh tongue tie that was not corrected until he was almost 8 weeks old
    By the time I returned to work (was about half pumping/half nursing) I was struggling to pump enough

    Took every supplement under the sun + domperidone to pump JUST enough until he was a year old.

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  4. #4

    Default

    Stalking. For me I think it will be 736251517 times easier with my next child. The problems we had was bc I wasn't doing it right and now that I know how to bf properly I think it will be infinately easier.

  5. #5

    Default

    I had 2 that were jaundice. It can make a huge difference in the beginning. Hope you can avoid that this time. I don't know much about tongue tie but I imagine that can have a significant affect on supply. Just the stress of having to deal with all that can be enough to make your supply tank. In my unprofessional opinion you should have better luck this time if there are less issues. I don't know much about the supplements though. Hopefully someone else can give you some advice on if/which ones to stock up on just in case.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    Stalking. For me I think it will be 736251517 times easier with my next child. The problems we had was bc I wasn't doing it right and now that I know how to bf properly I think it will be infinately easier.
    I definitely think so mama! I am hoping that experience helps both of us

    Quote Originally Posted by Colee View Post
    I had 2 that were jaundice. It can make a huge difference in the beginning. Hope you can avoid that this time. I don't know much about tongue tie but I imagine that can have a significant affect on supply. Just the stress of having to deal with all that can be enough to make your supply tank. In my unprofessional opinion you should have better luck this time if there are less issues. I don't know much about the supplements though. Hopefully someone else can give you some advice on if/which ones to stock up on just in case.
    The jaundice really made things more difficult and his latch was awful until we got his tongue clipped. So I am hopeful. And I know supplements, boy do I know my supplements I have a bunch of domperidone leftover, so thats good.

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  7. #7

    Default

    yes...It was so much easier second time around. But my milk came in within 24 hours of giving birth with my second and i had midwives that were very pro BF. And i learned what I did wrong with my first. With my first my milk didn't come in until day 3. So the docs wanted me to suppliment and nurse. Which caused me to get off to a rocky start. Then I had an infection after the c section and 2 rounds of antibiotics which killed my supply. I did make it 6 months with 90% Bf and 8 months with 60% bf and 1 year with 20% of the feedings done at year were breastmilk. I relied too heavily on my pump with the first and didn't just let it flow naturally. I learned a lot of lessons. With my second he EBF for the first 15 months. Then it was milk and bm until he self weaned. Never took formula and actually never took a bottle he went straight to a sippy early.

    Brenda

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    yes...It was so much easier second time around. But my milk came in within 24 hours of giving birth with my second and i had midwives that were very pro BF. And i learned what I did wrong with my first. With my first my milk didn't come in until day 3. So the docs wanted me to suppliment and nurse. Which caused me to get off to a rocky start. Then I had an infection after the c section and 2 rounds of antibiotics which killed my supply. I did make it 6 months with 90% Bf and 8 months with 60% bf and 1 year with 20% of the feedings done at year were breastmilk. I relied too heavily on my pump with the first and didn't just let it flow naturally. I learned a lot of lessons. With my second he EBF for the first 15 months. Then it was milk and bm until he self weaned. Never took formula and actually never took a bottle he went straight to a sippy early.
    That's great! It took almost 5 days for my milk to completely came in. It started coming in on day 4. Which I believe is why his jaundice got as bad as it did! We ended up nursing exclusively (almost, I supplemented here and there) but I pumped 3-4 EXTRA times a day until he was a year. We went until 19mths though, which was awesome after a horrible start!

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31,485

    Default

    It was definitely easier for me the second time around. With Hayden, I supplemented a bit at the beginning with formula and never really stopped. Starting so early with a bottle got him very used to it and then he started preferring the speed of that. He went through many nursing strikes and it was tough. We made it to a year, thankfully. With Ava, she wouldn't even take a bottle/paci so it was a no brainer. Carter takes a bottle like a pro but has no issue nursing.
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •