Thread: Worried

Blog Entries

Unhappy Worried

As many of you know, I recently determined that I am allergic to fabric softener and generally have issues to other laundry products, too. Once we moved out of our condo (which reeked of laundry when others did it) and used our own washer and dryer I improved immediately. It is likely that at least two of my three miscarriages in a row were caused by this allergic reaction I was having.

That's the background.

Last night I was serving in children's ministry and noticed that a dryer in the room was running. I didn't notice any smell and really didn't think much of it. Well, after about 30 minutes of being there I got itchy. But, sometimes being around other people makes me itchy or gives me a sore throat, especially little kids since they tend to be thisclose to you if not in your lap. So, I didn't really think much of it. In the middle of the night I woke up with very stuffy sinuses. I woke up several more times because I was dizzy - it is quite bizarre to be dizzy when all you did was turn over in bed. After I got up, I did my sinus rinse and that plus being upright diminished the sinus pressure and the dizziness. Now I am also having pain in my joints and a definite fibromyalgia flare up. I took two benadryl and make have to take some tylenol soon.

Do I need to be worried about the baby? I'm about 24 weeks pregnant. I know that inflammation can diminish progesterone but since most of that is made by the placenta right now that shouldn't matter, right?

Ugh. I just hate bothering my OB for no reason but perhaps I should just call.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I would think that you would be far enough along that everything would be OK with the baby, but a phone call to your OB definitely couldn't hurt

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I would absolutely call. Feel better!!

I would call your OB but I would not worry too much since you are far along and the placenta makes the progesterone. But let your doc know. I am also allergic to a lot of chemicals and during my second PG various things worsened my allergies but DS2 is perfectly fine. I am slightly allergic to regular fabric softener but fine with 7th generation and wanna throw up every time I smell it outside people's houses coming from their dryers. The smell is so strong; it is beyond me why anyone wants to use something that smells like that on their or their kids' clothes....
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Blog Entries

I will call tomorrow if things are still not going well (my DH wanted me to wait a day). I've still felt the baby moving today and he even had some hiccups. I am so wiped from the benadryl and the general energy your body requires to freak out.

I really do think that a lot of people have issues due to all the nasty scents and chemicals we routinely put on our clothes on on our bodies. My unexplained chronic fatigue was caused by fabric softener - even though I personally only used the "free and clear" dryer sheets. The fatigue started shortly after I went away to college and used shared laundry facilities and it took me 11 years to figure out the cause. Once I stopped using dryer sheets and used my own laundry machines, the fatigue disappeared instantly. I'm continuing to learn more and more just how sensitive I am to that stuff to the point that I can't even be present when someone else is doing laundry. Sharing laundry facilities makes me horribly ill nearly to the point of hospitalization now.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I would think that you would be far enough along that everything would be OK with the baby, but a phone call to your OB definitely couldn't hurt
    EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!