Thread: How do you wash cast iron?

Default How do you wash cast iron?

I used to have one and I am pretty sure I used soap on it. It rusted pretty quickly. What do you use on yours?
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Never use soap on cast iron! Rinse with warm water and let it dry. That's how it becomes non stick too, it absorbs the oils from the things I cook on it.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

I saw recently (on Pinterest?) that you can use salt to scrub cast iron if necessary.

When I had cast iron (I need to get some), I'd just rinse with water, wipe down with paper towel, and once dry, wipe with some oil. I think that one can use steel wool to scrub anything that sticks, and re-season, but I never had to.

Thanks for the responses. My DH decided to be helpful and saw that you could use some cleaners for stainless steel, which made my eyes popped... LOL. So I thought I ask here
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I have an unhealthy attachment to my cast iron pots. LOL..I cook in them daily. Hot water and a brush made for cast iron. That's it! Never ever soap unless you want to ruin the non-stick (which I did do early on before I knew better and it took me years to get the non-stick back). Never let it air dry. Immediately dry with a towel. Then I rub a light oil over the pan and soak the excess oil with a paper towel. To store mine I put a paper towel in each to help with any moisture. I re-season once in a while if it needs.

Brenda

I use soap in mine and they are still non stick. Perhaps I will stop though after reading this!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I use soap in mine and they are still non stick. Perhaps I will stop though after reading this!

I use the old school traditional cast iron where they are not pre seasoned. My mom has a newer cast iron that is pre-seasoned..But basically once its seasoned it's the same thing.. I have the Lodge cast iron cookware and they say this "TO soap or not to soap, That's the question??--
    If no soap is too scary, wash with mild soapy water and dry and oil immediately. However, consider that cookware is 400F in 4 minutes on medium heat and is sterile at 212 F, so soap isn’t always necessary.Dishwashers, strong detergents and metal scouring pads are not recommended, as they remove seasoning."

But they also say that after soap you need to reseason the cookware.

"While maintaining the seasoning should keep your Cast Iron and Carbon Steel in good condition, at some point you may need to re-season your cookware. If food sticks to the surface, or you notice a dull, gray color, repeat the seasoning process:

* Wash the cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. (It is okay to use soap this time because you are preparing to re-season the cookware). "

Here is the website to the cookware I use and their care/instructions
    http://www.lodgemfg.com/useandcare/seasoned-cast-iron

Brenda

Thanks for the info Brenda. When you are drying yours, we say you use a towel but do you know if it OK to put it on the stove and let the fire dry out?
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Thanks for the info Brenda. When you are drying yours, we say you use a towel but do you know if it OK to put it on the stove and let the fire dry out?
    I had to open my Lodge Cooking book and look at the care instruction just to make sure before I answered. They say "never place cookware on an already heated burner;rather, allow the utensil to heat as the burner does. And do not overheat or leave empty cookware on a hot burner." So basically wash and dry immediatly. Never put a wet empty cookware back onto a hot burner. Dry with a towel is ideal. Then lightly oil.

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    I had to open my Lodge Cooking book and look at the care instruction just to make sure before I answered. They say "never place cookware on an already heated burner;rather, allow the utensil to heat as the burner does. And do not overheat or leave empty cookware on a hot burner." So basically wash and dry immediatly. Never put a wet empty cookware back onto a hot burner. Dry with a towel is ideal. Then lightly oil.
    Thanks! That just tells me I have to sit down and read carefully the instructions before I do anything stupid
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

We use soap, when we need too, and either pat to dry or throw it in the oven on warm if were being extra lazy.
    You can always re-season if needed. My hubby takes care of the cast iron, so honestly, no idea how to do that

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

No soap. Just rinse with water, dry, and put on a light layer of oil. If something sticks and it needs to be scrubbed I pour salt into it and a little warm water and scrub with the salt. Then rinse and dry and oil.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss

I don't know if I could not use soap....I think that is why I never got any cast iron. It just seems unsafe to not use soap?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

What kind of oil are yall using?

I too feel stressed about the no soap...especially with chicken or something...

Blog Entries

Bacteria/Viruses (all life on this planet) are water based. Water turns to vapor at 212F, thus killing whatever living is on your cooking surfaces. So as long as you are heating your cast iron above 212F - which you always are - anything that is on the surface is 100% dead. And, since you have just cooked all the food above 212 there is nothing living left on your cooking surface when you are done either. It is sterile but just might not be clean in that you have sterile debris left on the surface. Hence rinsing that debris off is just fine or using the salt, as others have noted, as a very minor abrasive makes your cooking surface also clean (but really no longer sterile since water is not sterile).
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I just got a pan last week. The directions said to add hot water and bring it to a boil to clean it, and add a thin layer of oil. I did that before using it, and I had to use it when I baked something in it as stuff did stick.

Any food you cook goes into the pan raw so what are you worried about not washing off the pan with just water? I posted a link higher up about seasoning with flaxseed oil. It explains the chemistry a little behind seasoning cast iron. I always reseason pans even if they're labelled pre-seasoned.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss

No soap here. And we always wipe dry to prevent rusting.

I forgot to update....I ended up finding a very old cast iron pan that was my grandmother's! I was so happy to find it! So I have been using it and taking good care of it and loving it! It doesn't keep the nonstick unless I oil it after every rinsing though. Is that normal? I am a bit afraid to cook anything extreme in it for fear it will get too dirty or absorb the odor of what I cook - like fish or beef. I use it mostly for grilled cheese and eggs right now.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I forgot to update....I ended up finding a very old cast iron pan that was my grandmother's! I was so happy to find it! So I have been using it and taking good care of it and loving it! It doesn't keep the nonstick unless I oil it after every rinsing though. Is that normal? I am a bit afraid to cook anything extreme in it for fear it will get too dirty or absorb the odor of what I cook - like fish or beef. I use it mostly for grilled cheese and eggs right now.
    yes that's normal. You must oil after every wash. You can use a mild soap for things like fish or beef. just be careful on the scrubbing. I use mine to balance out iron in my diet. Actually a lot of vegetarians and vegans are suggested to use cast iron to boost iron in your diet. Like Jessica posted, if you heat your cast iron higher then 210 (which you will) then you'll burn off any bacteria/viruses.

Brenda