Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My random clomid questions that I can't find the answers to

Default My random clomid questions that I can't find the answers to

I will be starting clomid soon and wanted to see what y'all's opinions were one some questions I have.

The only issue I can find about bfing while on clomid is that it may effect your supply. I'm not worried about it effecting my supply (maybe it'll help the weaning process dd only nurses twice a day) but I am wondering if it would harm my nursing toddler.

I O on my own so wouldn't taking clomid increase my chances that much more for multiples? I REALLY hope so!!! We will be doing timed intercourse, no iui or anything like that.

Then I have my ultrasound around CD 12 to check for follicles....if there are many, say 6, mature follies does that mean I could get 6 babies? All 6 wouldn't probably make it though right, but wouldn't it still increase my chances for twins? If there are 6 follies, does that mean all of them will come out to be met with sperm?

I have a super strong feeling that I will get pregnant with twins!!! Which is totally awesome since I've always wanted twins.

I don't have any advice... Just wanted to say good luck Twins would be amazing!

!! So happy for you! Praying you get your babies on your first cycle !!!

Clomid definitely increases your chances of multiples. Ideally, you will get 2-3 mature follicles for your timed intercourse. Good luck to you!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

Clomid does increase your chance of multiples, but it is still not a great chance. Something like 20% chance?

Plus, I've had 6 follies, and got no babies. I had 5 when I got my one. So, as my RE explained it to me, just because you have so many follicles does not mean you will ovulate with them all.

Still, it does increase your chances. Good luck!

If your dr prescribed it knowing you're still bfing I would think it's fine .

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    If your dr prescribed it knowing you're still bfing I would think it's fine .
    You would think so, right! At least I hope so!! But I'm not convinced lol.

5-10% chance of multiples with Clomid according to my RE. There is also a new blood test that can detect a hormone or something to see if you are prone to overstimulaing your ovaries via Clomid. I didn't have the test three years ago when TTCing DS but my RE ran it this time. She said it was fairly new.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Ooh I'll have to looks into that test!

Another question....what is a trigger?

Clomid grows the follies and the trigger (HCG) shot makes you ovulate. You can O on your own without a trigger using just Clomid. My cycles are fully monitored meaning I go in for an u/s follie check, and if they are big enough, I get the trigger shot in the RE's office. That way we can perfectly time DTD or IUI.

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Oh! I see.

I will be getting an ultrasound on cd4 to check for cysts and then another ultrasound on cd 12-14 to check follie growth. And then they will tell me when to start doing the opk tests....and then I'm supposed to DTD the day of my first positive opk and the next 2 days.

GL!

My RE has me start OPK testing at CD11. If no positive by CD14, then I go in on CD15 for a follie check. Last time I went on CD15, I think my follie was 24mm.

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Does clomid change the day you O?

I think I would start opk on cd 11 or 12 but if I don't even go in for an ultrasound till cd 12-14 what if I miss my O?

Clomid blocks estrogen receptors tricking the body into producing more follicle stimulating hormone. When you stop it the body responds (hopefully) by ovulating within 6-7days. So I think it over-rides what the body would do naturally...from my understanding that's the purpose of a med/monitored cycle, to control variables and tweak if needed to optimize for the best outcome possible

But zero practical experience, lol, I was wondering the same thing which is why I read up on it . I naturally have always had a 35 day cycle and O ~cd22 so I'm curious how that would affect someone with a cycle like mine...does it really not matter or would it completely confuse the body and make things worse?

Since you O regularly, did your dr say why clomid would help? I only ask because I O regularly too but have rpl and I know it's prescribed for that sometimes. I'm curious what your dr said...my re appt is on Thurs and I'm wondering if clomid/femara will be mentioned. I'm not going to think about how I feel about it unless I have to, lol, just hoping I don't have to .

I would think too that If you were worried you could just test with opks sooner and call if you get a positive?? Definitely something to ask the dr!

I haven't asked why clomid would be a good idea since I do O on my own. I think that RE's just just to clomid ASAP whenever they can since it helps getting pregnant lol. I'm ok with trying clomid bc I do want twins and it increases my chances. I am a little annoyed that my RE doesn't try to figure out what exactly is wrong with me and why I can't stay pregnant....unless it really is my thyroid and progesterone issues. But if those are my issues then why am I doing clomid but I'm ok with clomid so I'll do it. We will also be checking my progesterone level 7 days after I O so if its low I can supplement if nessesary.

Since I as a little crazy lol I think I will start opk's on cd 11 just so I don't miss my O.

kellymom says clomid is compatible with BF

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/r...c-while-bf.pdf

When I was trying to get PG with #2, my RE said she won't do any drugs or any attempts before I wean 100%. I think my age (36 at the time) could have been a factor. Breastfeeding reduces the chances of getting PG in some women and my RE said that with a BF mom at this age, she won't do anything before I wean. She wanted me to reschedule 6 months out. I did and, of course, I got pregnant the very next week LOL
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    I haven't asked why clomid would be a good idea since I do O on my own. I think that RE's just just to clomid ASAP whenever they can since it helps getting pregnant lol. I'm ok with trying clomid bc I do want twins and it increases my chances. I am a little annoyed that my RE doesn't try to figure out what exactly is wrong with me and why I can't stay pregnant....unless it really is my thyroid and progesterone issues. But if those are my issues then why am I doing clomid but I'm ok with clomid so I'll do it. We will also be checking my progesterone level 7 days after I O so if its low I can supplement if nessesary.

Since I as a little crazy lol I think I will start opk's on cd 11 just so I don't miss my O.
    How long have you been TTC now? I didn't know you started seeing an RE!!

For me, when I started O'ing on my own, my O date was about the same as when I was on Clomid. I didn't O prior to when we did Clomid to get pregnant with Nolan though, so I don't know how reliable my experience is.
    From what I understand when I was looking into it Clomid isn't a recommended drug while nursing, but that is mostly talking if you are nursing full time. With as little as she is nursing you should be OK!

Your progesterone leve at 7dpo just shows if you O'd (I could be wrong I suppose, but this is my understanding), I don't think it is linked to low progesterone. My levels at 7dpo were barely above 'ovulating level' but I never needed to supplement progesterone after I was pregnant.

Tons of mama!
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 03-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.

I've had my prolactin level tested and my RE said that bfing was not hindering my pregnancy issues. Dd nurses so little that I doubt she's even getting an ounce a day!

We've been trying for a while now but I didn't get my period back until sept or oct after taking provera. That correct about 7dpo and progesterone...I forgot. Maybe I'll ask my RE if I should supplement anyway since I have had low progesterone levels before.

I've had my prolactin level tested and my RE said that bfing was not hindering my pregnancy issues. Dd nurses so little that I doubt she's even getting an ounce a day!

We've been trying for a while now but I didn't get my period back until sept or oct after taking provera. That correct about 7dpo and progesterone...I forgot. Maybe I'll ask my RE if I should supplement anyway since I have had low progesterone levels before.
    I'd imagine BFing as little as she does that it's not affecting your fertility any. Your body may just be taking its time gearing up again!

A low dose of Clomid probably won't affect your cycles much, though later ovulation and longer LP can both be side effects I've heard other mamas say (never experienced either personally). Also, I suggest getting some Pre-Seed. Clomid can dry up your cervical mucous so its nice to have just in case it has that effect on you!

I would ask for a progesterone check as soon as you get a BFP. Or make it clear to him that you want a progesterone check ASAP so you know if you need to supplement. Never hurts to be cautious!

Oh good idea on the pre seed!!! Thanks!

Christina how many follies did you have when you got pregnant with Nolan?

Oh good idea on the pre seed!!! Thanks!

Christina how many follies did you have when you got pregnant with Nolan?
    Preseed is ah-mazing

We did unmonitored when we were TTC. We were pretty adament we wanted to remain as intervention-free as possible. My progesterone levels at 7dpo floated between 10-12 though which is really, really low (they prefer 15 for medicated, but anything over 10 indicates ovulation). Plus I was on 200mg just to get me to ovulate. I can't imagine there were too many follies

Your already ovulating though, the Clomid will provide a good boost for you

Can I hijack your thread for a minute Amber? LOL, I want to pick Christina's brain too .

Christina...you took clomid but opted out of the u/s monitoring? I'm hoping to avoid a medicated cycle but if we had to go that route we want as little intervention as possible also (we like to climb the intervention ladder super slow, lol). I wasn't sure if I was being unrealistic

Eta...thanks Amber
    Last edited by kellyowens; 03-26-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Can I hijack your thread for a minute Amber? LOL, I want to pick Christina's brain too .

Christina...you took clomid but opted out of the u/s monitoring? I'm hoping to avoid a medicated cycle but if we had to go that route we want as little intervention as possible also (we like to climb the intervention ladder super slow, lol). I wasn't sure if I was being unrealistic

Eta...thanks Amber

Hyperstimulation is the main reason for U/S (speaking from a 'what could go wrong' medical stand point) and since I wasn't ovulating at all, we weren't too concerned about that. It is really going to depend on who you see and how comfortable they are with that (admittedly at 200mg he was not as comfortable )

I don't think it is unrealistic at all, especially with low doses of Clomid, but hyperstimulation is dangerous and it can occur even if small Clomid dosages. My doctor had a very "as long as you know the risks" type of attitude about things
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 03-26-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post

Hyperstimulation is the main reason for U/S (speaking from a 'what could go wrong' medical stand point) and since I wasn't ovulating at all, we weren't too concerned about that. It is really going to depend on who you see and how comfortable they are with that (admittedly at 200mg he was not as comfortable )

I don't think it is unrealistic at all, especially with low doses of Clomid, but hyperstimulation is dangerous and it can occur even if small Clomid dosages. My doctor had a very "as long as you know the risks" type of attitude about things
    Thank you for the info! I'm hoping a med cycle won't be necessary to achieve a successful pg but if it comes to that we'd like to start small. Praying the RE will be flexible .

Clomid should be monitored IMHO. You can take Clomid and not ovulate (I've had it happen twice). Because I was monitored, we saw on the u/s that the Clomid didn't work (no follies) and I was able to end the cycle and move on.

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Which cds did you have u/s done Jen?
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGRITS View Post
    Clomid should be monitored IMHO. You can take Clomid and not ovulate (I've had it happen twice). Because I was monitored, we saw on the u/s that the Clomid didn't work (no follies) and I was able to end the cycle and move on.
    My Dr has never even mentioned doing an ultrasound, so I have no idea if the Clomid ever worked or not. I'm so irritated with her at this point. Definitely moving on to an RE ASAP.
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGRITS View Post
    Yes that is true, I didn't ovulate on 50mg or 100mg, but we chose to monitor our cycles by charting and bloodwork instead of U/S.

Candice... (((hugs)))!!! I sure hope you find an re soon to help you on your way to a bfp !

Christina...what bloodwork did you have done? That's great you were able to use charting to monitor! Did you also use opks? I just started charting last month...so far so good .