Thread: non candy items in easter eggs

Default non candy items in easter eggs

We are going to an Easter Egg Hunt through my MOMS group. I am pretty involved in the group, and know most moms. The instructions were to bring 10 eggs per child with non-candy items the day before.

I went to Target and found nothing to put in them. I thought stickers, and could not find any. I ended up buying 2 boxes of Annie's bunny crackers. But now I am thinking some parents might not like that because the crackers would just be loose in there. Would that bother you? I'd let my kids have them since these are moms who have given my kids food before and we know them, so it's not like a random egg hunt. Or should I go out and look for something else?

I wouldn't think anything of it myself but, my husband would be upset if there was loose food in there. If you all know each other I hope they wouldn't fuss about it kwim? If you are unsure though it might sound lame in a way my mom's apartments last year did money in eggs using cents. I don't know how people would feel about that either. The other thing is I know Annie's has gummies snacks wrapped but, I don't know if that would be too close to candy?

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    I wouldn't think anything of it myself but, my husband would be upset if there was loose food in there. If you all know each other I hope they wouldn't fuss about it kwim? If you are unsure though it might sound lame in a way my mom's apartments last year did money in eggs using cents. I don't know how people would feel about that either. The other thing is I know Annie's has gummies snacks wrapped but, I don't know if that would be too close to candy?
    I was looking for some small packakged gummy bears like that, but I do think they might be too much like candy. I got some at Valentine's to give out at DS's bday, but I didn't see any this time anyway. I went last week, and they were already almost cleared out in the Easter section.

We'll be doing an Egg Hunt for my 2 boys using coins, but most of the kids will be 3 and under, so I am afraid of doing that.

I actually do like that there is no candy since I limits the boys' candy consumption, but I have no idea what to put in!
    Last edited by i.<3.cheesysmiles; 03-23-2013 at 12:39 PM.

We had the same stipulations for my MOPS group egg hunt. I put a couple of those Silly Bandz in each egg. I know they are not all that popular anymore, but my little guys still think they are cool.

I would not be upset by the crackers but I am kind of laid back about small treats like that. We do cheerios, raisins, goldfish, the bunny crackers you mentioned, change (dimes, quarters, etc.), tattoos, stickers...we also do marshmallows but that probably wouldn't fly in that group.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I wouldn't let my kids eat loose food. I think anything you give other kids should be wrapped/packaged.

If it were a small group, I'd be ok with it, but for a large group where not everyone knows each other personally, I wouldn't love it. Hard to find appropriate small items for kids that little, though. My girl loves those small plastic animals that come in Toobs (or loose for about 10c each at a local toy store). You could buy a couple of toobs -- farm animals, jungle animals -- if you think most of them would fit into an egg. We also do stickers, tattoos, and those little capsules you put in water that grow into sponge animals. Do you have a party supply store near you? They usually have lots of stuff in bins for goody bags and pinatas that would be appropriate -- little whistles, jelly bracelets, bouncy balls (although I'd probably hesitate on the small balls for kids that young).
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    I wouldn't let my kids eat loose food. I think anything you give other kids should be wrapped/packaged.
    If you go to a party or a playgroup, and there is a bowl of pretzels, popcorn, crackers, etc. do you let them eat the food? I compare it to that because when I host playgroup, and when I have gone to ones hosted by other moms, there is often a bowl of loose food for the kids to snack on. This is the same group of moms and kids. I never thought twice about allowing my kids to have it (unless it had ingredients DS1 can't have). So, I guess my thinking was along the same lines with this group of kids.

We had the same rules with Halloween, but it was a lot easier since there was no size restrictions...it's hard to find something packaged that is no candy and can fit inside an egg.

I'll probably just go with stickers even though some moms might consider those choking hazards. I'm thinking now that the eggs might fall apart anyway as the kids get them.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    If it were a small group, I'd be ok with it, but for a large group where not everyone knows each other personally, I wouldn't love it. Hard to find appropriate small items for kids that little, though. My girl loves those small plastic animals that come in Toobs (or loose for about 10c each at a local toy store). You could buy a couple of toobs -- farm animals, jungle animals -- if you think most of them would fit into an egg. We also do stickers, tattoos, and those little capsules you put in water that grow into sponge animals. Do you have a party supply store near you? They usually have lots of stuff in bins for goody bags and pinatas that would be appropriate -- little whistles, jelly bracelets, bouncy balls (although I'd probably hesitate on the small balls for kids that young).
    I never thought of a party store! We don't have one nearby, though, and I don't have time to get to one before the party. I am doing small animals for my kids, but I know some moms who don't let their 2-year olds play with them, like I do mine. I'll have to remember that for next year though!

Personally, the only thing I like as egg fillers are stickers. I do not let my kids have any candy or food due to our food sensitivities, so we just empty them out and any edible items go straight to trash. I hate throwing out food. All the other non-food junk - silly bands, erasers, rings - that is all chocking hazards and we toss them too. If temporary tatoos are acceptable, I have also seen those as egg fillers. We do not put that kind of stuff on our skin, but if that is not a concern, I do not think anything wrong with it - it's not food and it's not a choking hazard.

Can you provide just real eggs? We do our own easter egg hunt in our own back yard with hardboiled eggs. My kids have a blast. We use onion peels to dye them and they are gone in no time.

*anything* that is non food and fits in an easter egg is not appropriate for a child under 3. Someone should have thought that through a little better :roll: Stickers might be more acceptable, but even those a toddler will eat.

At this point I would probably go with coins, since everything that size is a chocking hazard anyway.

I wouldn't worry about loose food though. Like you said, I would eat, and let my kids eat food in a bowl at a party.

I think the fun is finding the eggs anyway, when my kids were little (and when I was little) it was about finding eggs, not about getting whatever is in the egg. Maybe suggest next year having bigger prizes or something given seperate from the eggs, rather than junk in the eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    Personally, the only thing I like as egg fillers are stickers. I do not let my kids have any candy or food due to our food sensitivities, so we just empty them out and any edible items go straight to trash. I hate throwing out food. All the other non-food junk - silly bands, erasers, rings - that is all chocking hazards and we toss them too. If temporary tatoos are acceptable, I have also seen those as egg fillers. We do not put that kind of stuff on our skin, but if that is not a concern, I do not think anything wrong with it - it's not food and it's not a choking hazard.

Can you provide just real eggs? We do our own easter egg hunt in our own back yard with hardboiled eggs. My kids have a blast. We use onion peels to dye them and they are gone in no time.
    I do not like tattoos at all. lol. I didn't think of food allergies...I think we are actually the most restrictive of the bunch, but DH eats what we don't so it doesn't go to waste.

The thing with real eggs, is that I don't like to waste those.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    *anything* that is non food and fits in an easter egg is not appropriate for a child under 3. Someone should have thought that through a little better :roll: Stickers might be more acceptable, but even those a toddler will eat.

At this point I would probably go with coins, since everything that size is a chocking hazard anyway.

I wouldn't worry about loose food though. Like you said, I would eat, and let my kids eat food in a bowl at a party.

I think the fun is finding the eggs anyway, when my kids were little (and when I was little) it was about finding eggs, not about getting whatever is in the egg. Maybe suggest next year having bigger prizes or something given seperate from the eggs, rather than junk in the eggs.
    You are right that the fun will be finding the eggs. Maybe next year we could do something a little different. I'm gonna go stuff 20 eggs, though, with stickers now. I should hope that the parents are watching the kids pretty closely! My 2-year old would attempt to put small objects, like coins, etc in his mouth, but never a sticker. So, I feel a little safer doing that. I have to drop them off way early so that's another reason I don't want to do food. I don't want her dog getting into them!

I'm really eager to see what else everyone puts in their eggs. This is the first year we are able to go to the annual egg hunt!

I wouldn't let my kids eat loose food in a plastic egg but really for different reasons. All of the plastic eggs you will find are imported from China made of likely non food grade plastic and I've read they should really be rinsed or cleansed if you are planning on putting food in them. But again, I'm weird that way and it might not bother most people.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

We're going shopping for eggs and egg fillers for my son's preschool egg hunt today. Thinking stickers if I can find them, if not I'll likely do Annies bunny crackers. Little toy bugs maybe?
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Quote Originally Posted by suze001 View Post
    I wouldn't let my kids eat loose food in a plastic egg but really for different reasons. All of the plastic eggs you will find are imported from China made of likely non food grade plastic and I've read they should really be rinsed or cleansed if you are planning on putting food in them. But again, I'm weird that way and it might not bother most people.
    I was actually thinking about that, too, but knowing my group, I would be the only one who would worry about that. I was planning on washing them if I were to do food. I found some safer ones at whole foods. I forget the name of them. I'm sving them to use for ourselves though since I already stuck stickers in.

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    I was actually thinking about that, too, but knowing my group, I would be the only one who would worry about that. I was planning on washing them if I were to do food. I found some safer ones at whole foods. I forget the name of them. I'm sving them to use for ourselves though since I already stuck stickers in.
    Cool, Whole Foods has better plastic eggs? I may go there right now. Just another reason for my family members to roll their eyes at me. Most of my friends do care about this kind of thing either. I'm also the one cringing at my friends' houses when they assume my 2 and 4 year olds need to eat off of melamine unbreakable plates.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

I really don't like food in Easter eggs, crackers and jelly beans or whatever. Indeed, a lot of small things are choking hazard but all of the toddlers I know have older siblings and are around choking hazards all hours of the day. DS2 just turned 3 and we have had choking hazards around him since birth, we just watched him closely and removed those that we considered really dangerous. All the moms around me with babies and toddlers allow those as well because older children have toys and items that are considered dangerous around toddlers. So I would rather have stickers, erasers, tats, etc. than any food items. It is not that loose food is a problem, it is that my DS1 is on dietary restrictions and bunny crackers are on the "no list".
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Actually, my moms groups has "no food in the eggs" policy, maybe there are a lot of children with dietary restrictions in the area, not sure why. But I have to say that it is a relief to me
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by suze001 View Post
    Cool, Whole Foods has better plastic eggs? I may go there right now. Just another reason for my family members to roll their eyes at me. Most of my friends do care about this kind of thing either. I'm also the one cringing at my friends' houses when they assume my 2 and 4 year olds need to eat off of melamine unbreakable plates.
    Yes, they are Eco or Ecos Eggs. I forget the exact name. I don't know if they are graded for food, but they are better for the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    I really don't like food in Easter eggs, crackers and jelly beans or whatever. Indeed, a lot of small things are choking hazard but all of the toddlers I know have older siblings and are around choking hazards all hours of the day. DS2 just turned 3 and we have had choking hazards around him since birth, we just watched him closely and removed those that we considered really dangerous. All the moms around me with babies and toddlers allow those as well because older children have toys and items that are considered dangerous around toddlers. So I would rather have stickers, erasers, tats, etc. than any food items. It is not that loose food is a problem, it is that my DS1 is on dietary restrictions and bunny crackers are on the "no list".
    That's true. I have a lot of chokables around DS2 since DS1 is older and has toys that have small pieces, so I have learned to watch him. When I only had DS1, I didn't though. I was more concerned about that type of stuff.

It's nice that your group has a "no food" policy. Like I said, we actually have the most restrictive diet of any family we have met in the group so far. Many times, I have to bring an alternative for DS1.

It sounds like you will be fine. They know you and it looks like no kids are on dietary restrictions. I personally would not have a problem if the food is loose if I know the mom bought crackers that are in my ok list.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I wouldn't let mine eat loose food items in an egg. I plan to put single serving water bottle flavoring packs in each egg to avoid the candy rush!

What about the individual bags of annies bunny crackers? I'm not sure if those would squish small enough to fit in an egg.
    AKA Lisa724

Okay so we did the egg-shopping today for DH's preschool and got these squishy frogs and squishy dinosaurs to put in the eggs.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Katie (34) DH (33). DS1 Derek (3), DS2 Adam (1)