Thread: vaccination question?

Default vaccination question?

Ds is starting preschool in August, so right now I'm in the middle of trying to get him registered but the school and the dr's office both noticed an issue with his shot record. He received his 4th Dtap shot 3 months earlier than what he should have according to what the state of Hawaii shot schedule says. We lived in Las Vegas at the time so I'm assuming their shot schedule is different. I've asked the nurse and ma at the pediatrician office if 3 months really makes a difference and they both said yes but couldn't tell me why and that they wont let him in school unless he retakes the shot. I went to the school nurse and asked her the same thing and once again got the same answer but also couldn't tell me why, and the only way around it was to claim religious reasons. If I were to do that than his whole shot record wouldn't matter, but if there were to be an outbreak of anything at the school he wouldn't be allowed to attend.

Honestly, I find it incredibly ridiculous that 3 months makes a difference and I REALLY don't want to have to give him an extra shot that he's already had. Should I just claim the religious reasons and take the risk that nothing will break out? My other question is, if I claim religious reasons in Hawaii and we move to back to Las Vegas, where his shot schedule is on time, would I have any trouble with the new school because of it?

Dbf thinks I should have him get the shot and just be done with it, but I'm really bothered by it! Especially since I haven't any got any answers other than the stupid schedule says so. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Blog Entries

The problem is that only the shots given as per the schedule have been studied. So, they really have no idea if you don't get them within the standard time frame if they work as they are supposed to do so. It is more likely that there was an oops in Las Vegas as the standard schedule is federally mandated.

Now, I know that plenty of people deviate from the schedule and don't have problems getting their children into school. You may be able to argue for a titre to demonstrate that he has responded appropriately to the vaccines. But that is a blood draw. As you aren't against shots, him having another shot will just increase his immunity.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

CDC recommendation for the 4th DTaP is 15 - 18 months. When did he get his?

Also, according to this: http://hawaii.gov/health/Immunizatio...eq-daycare.pdf The requirement is for certain shots BY a certain age, not AT a certain age, so maybe they're misinterpreting the requirements.
    Last edited by Suja; 03-15-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Oh thanks for looking that up Suja, that is different than the schedule I received! He got his 4th when he was 10 months old, but as I look at the date and their schedule, he got it before he was 12 months and not six months, only 3, after he received the 3rd. So yeah he got his 4th dtap way too early, ugh, now I'm irked that I didn't pay closer to attention to this.

At the bottom of the schedule it says "These are the minimum intervals between vaccine doses acceptable for school attendance and may not correspond with the optimal recommended agesand intervals for vaccination." Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    The problem is that only the shots given as per the schedule have been studied. So, they really have no idea if you don't get them within the standard time frame if they work as they are supposed to do so. It is more likely that there was an oops in Las Vegas as the standard schedule is federally mandated.

Now, I know that plenty of people deviate from the schedule and don't have problems getting their children into school. You may be able to argue for a titre to demonstrate that he has responded appropriately to the vaccines. But that is a blood draw. As you aren't against shots, him having another shot will just increase his immunity.
    How do they go about getting them into school without problems? I can only imagine what they would want to do if it was more than one shot that was off.

My kids are vaccinated on an alternative schedule and the preschool only cared if they had all doses of all required shots. No one ever questioned when they received them. In our case, they got them later rather than early though. I would fight it with the school. I would not give my child an extra vax just because some kind of a bureaucrat says so. I would ask your pedi - maybe they cay write a note to the school that he is sufficiently protected. I am sorry they te giving you hard time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hayleybot View Post
    How do they go about getting them into school without problems? I can only imagine what they would want to do if it was more than one shot that was off.
    They most likely are getting them late rather than early...I don't know why that should matter, though, since as I mentioned before they have only studied the shots as per the normal schedule. So, getting them late or early is different from the schedule and should cause the same problems that you are experiencing.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Claiming a religious exemption in HI will not have any impact on enrolling him in school in NV-but if a mistake was made with when he got one of the doses you will likely run into the same thing in NV.

We claim exemption. In OR we can claim it for individual shots, it's not an all or nothing thing like many states. And if there is an outbreak I can either prove we actually have had shots (I claim exemption for all of them and will go the route of showing they actually have them if needed) or can have a titer drawn to allow them in school. I don't really anticipate anything coming up that would cause that, though.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Remember the interval is the MINIMUM and like PPs have said, most are delaying, not getting early. I don't know anything about it providing more immunity so I would probably speak to an infectious disease MD to see their opinion, IMO.
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

getting an "extra" vaccine will not give better immunity.......just more toxins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GA1977 View Post
    getting an "extra" vaccine will not give better immunity.......just more toxins.
    Not true. This isn't a vaccine debate either. OP is clearly ok with vaccines so why bring this up this opinion? Every time your body is exposed to the same virus it reacts. Regular exposure helps your body to keep the immunity and increase the number of cells that will recognize the virus.

thanks everyone for your input! we have an appointment with the pedi at the end of the month so i'm just going to talk to him and see if he can write us a note or help us with some way around this. i can't be the only on the island that has dealt with this. thanks again!

not going into the whole vax debate.....I'm curious as to why no-one can give you an answer as to the original problem momma. I would demand an actual answer before I go any further with my Dr.

The purpose of vax is to make sure your child is immune. The current schedule is based on decades of studies on how to best optimize immunity...it's not perfect but it works for most people .

If you get the vax too soon then it's likely he has not built up proper immunity. I think you should get it done again...not so he can get into preschool but so you can be more certain he's immune...which I assume is the reason you chose to vax in the first place .

(((HUGS)))...honestly, the Nevada office should have known better ...it's a bummer, it really is.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Isn't the next DTaP booster at age 4? Personally, I would claim exemption or get titters done...