Thread: Chickenpox during 17th week of pregnancy

Default Chickenpox during 17th week of pregnancy

Hi,

I have been affected with chicken pox during 17th week (last monday) from my elder daughter. I am taking acyclovir 800 mg 5 times daily.

If i get chicken pox during 17 weeks of pregnancy should it be very risky to terminate the pregnancy? can we know all the abnormalities if something happens during anomaly scan or any other possible way to detect all abnormalities?

I have been told by many people that moms who got chickenpox during pregnancy had problems with their new borns. Please suggest me as I am going through a critical condition now.

Thanks,
    sns

I had chicken pox when I was pregnant with my first DD. I was also in my second trimester. My OB told me that if you are going to get chicken pox while pregnant that is the "best" time to get it. All the organs are formed and you are not near delivery. He was more concerned for my health. Adults can develop a lot of side effects (pneumonia, encephalopathy) from the virus. I was given an injection of IgG and was followed closely by a perinatologist for the rest of my pregnancy. Today my daughter is 11 years old and is perfectly healthy. I suggest you see your OB and follow her advice. Good luck!
    Becky

Thank you so much Becky...you have relieved me to some extend...Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by red2005 View Post
    I had chicken pox when I was pregnant with my first DD. I was also in my second trimester. My OB told me that if you are going to get chicken pox while pregnant that is the "best" time to get it. All the organs are formed and you are not near delivery. He was more concerned for my health. Adults can develop a lot of side effects (pneumonia, encephalopathy) from the virus. I was given an injection of IgG and was followed closely by a perinatologist for the rest of my pregnancy. Today my daughter is 11 years old and is perfectly healthy. I suggest you see your OB and follow her advice. Good luck!