Thread: Who has been exposed to Roseola during pregnancy? Experience, please!

Default Who has been exposed to Roseola during pregnancy? Experience, please!

Hi mamas! It's been a while! We are doing well and oh my, time flies - DD2 is nearly 9 months!!!
    My friend is 6 months pregnant and she works at the hospital where I took DD2 on Tuesday with 105F. She was with us and we were told it is a cold. But what do to you know- Thursday rash broke out, so it was Roseola after all!
    My question is how my friend should go about it? I told her as soon as rash started showing and asked her to report to her OB. She doesn't know if she had it as a child as her mom doesn't remember. I read that it rarely affects adults but pregnant women should be cautious nevertheless.

Anyone here was exposed to Roseola during pregnancy? Please share your experience! Thank you!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Blog Entries

I was exposed, but my DD started with the fever about two days before I gave birth to my DS. I think that it would be quite odd if your friend had not had roseola growing up.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I was exposed all the time at work. My OB told me not to worry about it; she has never seen anyone have a problem. 2nd trimester is a good time anyhow!

My friend was exposed during the second or third trimester. Her OB gave her lab orders to get checked for antibodies. I thought there was a specific protocol and if she in fact has the infection that she may need monitoring with US, but I really don't recall without going to google. I was checked for antibodies when I was pregnant I found out that I have never been infected with either parvovirus B19 or CMV. I made sure that I did not see patients who were admitted with either infection (mostly transplant patients). It's not like I grew up in a bubble, and I've worked in hospitals for 15 years, go figure.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

Also, to be clear, roseola doesn't cause issues during pregnancy. It's HHV6 or HHV7. Erythema infectiosum (parvo) and CMV could, in theory, but my above answer is the same for those. I didn't worry about them, nor did my OB. And I was exposed all.the.time. No clue whether I was immune, titer-wise, because I was going to be exposed either way.
    All that to say, for the OP, it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    Also, to be clear, roseola doesn't cause issues during pregnancy. It's HHV6 or HHV7. Erythema infectiosum (parvo) and CMV could, in theory, but my above answer is the same for those. I didn't worry about them, nor did my OB. And I was exposed all.the.time. No clue whether I was immune, titer-wise, because I was going to be exposed either way.
    All that to say, for the OP, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Oh yeah, you're right. It was "slapped cheeks" and not parvo that my friend had during pregnancy.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10