Thread: What kind of food storage containers do you use? And how about kid plates?

Default What kind of food storage containers do you use? And how about kid plates?

I have some mason jars but I still u a lot of plastic ones. I wanna gradually ditch them. What kind of storage containers do you use and where do you get them if not plastic?

I also want to avoid plastic plates for the kids but we spend too much time in the yard so I cannot use porcelain dishes. I want to avoid papar plates and was thinking of some wooden plates.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I use glasslock that I got at costco. They have plastic lids but I just make sure to always wash them by hand. I also use canning jars a lot for things like soup and pancake batter and just make sure not to fill to the lid since those lids have bpa as well.

We use all glass dishes. I buy them at goodwill/St. Vincent's so that if and when they break I don't have to stress about it. We've had surprisingly little breakage even with all my daycare kids and some of those have been my because I am clumsy and will drop one when washing it in the sink or something. I also use paper when we have guests, thanks to my dad because he is always on the guest list and always brings paper plates. He buys the "green" ones that I guess are made from recycled paper or something and he is truly trying to save me work so I don't argue. I just have everyone throw them in a paper bag so we can burn them in our fire pit instead of throwing them in the landfill.

For awhile I had some small wooden cutting boards that we were using for plates but as it turned out they were treated with something (I can't remember what) that I wasn't cool with once they started to get scratched up so went in the fire pit too. But if you could get some natural boards and just treat them with mineral oil, that would work nicely I think. I think they are officially called german breakfast boards or something. I saw them on waldorf board I belong to and then dbf ordered (the wrong ones) online after I told him about it.

Ugh I am awful with this. I am so ashamed. We use tons of plastic and some paper plates. I have a few glass bowls so I am not all bad lol.

The kids have a few character plastic plates which I hate. We do have a set of correlle (not sure if that is spelled correctly) dishes from my grandparents which we use a lot. Supposedly they don't break? Ours have not broken yet! The paper plates we use are made of recycled paper so I at least feel better about that lol. And I try to reuse the same plate if there were only dry things on it.

It's really the storage of the food that I am bad at. It's mostly plastic - and even worse the type you would get at the chinese take out! I just think they are the perfect size and they all have the same lids so I find them so easy. I have been thinking about scrapping the entire stash and going to all glass or aluminum but it hasn't happened yet....
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I mostly use plastic too.. but I have some of those pyrex storage containers and I really like those and am trying to build up a bigger collection... They still have the plastic tops though. I don't know what you could use that wouldn't... sometimes I will put a bowl of something in the fridge with a plate over it.. does that count? lol!

Oh I have some stainless steel little containers too that are awesome for snacks in the car.

See I won't even use dishes made in china and can't afford to buy a whole set of dishes that aren't made in china so we are mismatched mess.

I do highly recommend the Glasslock containers though. They are good price and have these tabs on the side that lock down. Plus they are are square and rectangle so they store nicely in both the cabinet and the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I use glasslock that I got at costco. They have plastic lids but I just make sure to always wash them by hand. I also use canning jars a lot for things like soup and pancake batter and just make sure not to fill to the lid since those lids have bpa as well.

We use all glass dishes. I buy them at goodwill/St. Vincent's so that if and when they break I don't have to stress about it. We've had surprisingly little breakage even with all my daycare kids and some of those have been my because I am clumsy and will drop one when washing it in the sink or something. I also use paper when we have guests, thanks to my dad because he is always on the guest list and always brings paper plates. He buys the "green" ones that I guess are made from recycled paper or something and he is truly trying to save me work so I don't argue. I just have everyone throw them in a paper bag so we can burn them in our fire pit instead of throwing them in the landfill.

For awhile I had some small wooden cutting boards that we were using for plates but as it turned out they were treated with something (I can't remember what) that I wasn't cool with once they started to get scratched up so went in the fire pit too. But if you could get some natural boards and just treat them with mineral oil, that would work nicely I think. I think they are officially called german breakfast boards or something. I saw them on waldorf board I belong to and then dbf ordered (the wrong ones) online after I told him about it.
    Is this what you have Bridget?

http://www.amazon.com/New-Snapware-G...ords=glasslock

This set is $37 on amazon...was it cheaper in costco? I may grab a set and get started. I really want to get rid of my stupid plastic ones. I also have a bunch of mason jars that I use. I forgot about those

Not to hijack because it's somewhat related but what do your kids use for cups? That is a huge issue here. I got DD1 a stainless steel bottle which is ok but it was like $15 and we go through a lot of cups with different drinks....they are still too clumsy for open cups so I prefer something with a straw or top.

Oh I have some stainless steel little containers too that are awesome for snacks in the car.

See I won't even use dishes made in china and can't afford to buy a whole set of dishes that aren't made in china so we are mismatched mess.

I do highly recommend the Glasslock containers though. They are good price and have these tabs on the side that lock down. Plus they are are square and rectangle so they store nicely in both the cabinet and the fridge.
    Are you referring to Correlle being made in China? Are they? I didn't think they were but I admit I never really thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    Is this what you have Bridget?

http://www.amazon.com/New-Snapware-G...ords=glasslock

This set is $37 on amazon...was it cheaper in costco? I may grab a set and get started. I really want to get rid of my stupid plastic ones. I also have a bunch of mason jars that I use. I forgot about those

Not to hijack because it's somewhat related but what do your kids use for cups? That is a huge issue here. I got DD1 a stainless steel bottle which is ok but it was like $15 and we go through a lot of cups with different drinks....they are still too clumsy for open cups so I prefer something with a straw or top.
    Great find at amazon. I might order it as i truly hate the plastic containers and i use them all.the.time. We have the same problem with the cups, i have stainless steel ones but they are pricey.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Our stainless steel ones got funky after awhile and I can't get down in there to clean them well enough. Savana has hyper-senses (seriously, she can smell my chapstick when I put it on while driving and she is in the way back of the van) she refuses to drink out of the stainless steel. So we do have bpa free (although I know there is other bad stuff in plastic) water bottles for when we are out and about. But at home we use glasses or mugs. Even Sawyer. It's like the ONE thing I pushed on all my kids early, to drink out of a regular cup because I freaking HATE washing sippy cups! lol

Mine know how to drink out of regular cups but they are just clumsy as hell! Although it's probably because the cups we have tip quite easily. I bet if I gave them mugs they would be ok. If they had 1 stainless each for their water we could probably pull it off. Just the closet space alone for them is annoying. DD1 has a klean kanteen which I like but the spout is plastic

World Market has tons of glass storage jars, with glass/ceramic/steel tops. I'm slowly starting to replace plastic storage stuff, since Mira is now getting to be old enough I don't have to worry overly much.

I use plastic quite a bit too. I do not know why, I have tons of mason jars for canning but I never think to use them when I need to put up leftovers.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Bridget, do the glasslock containers do well for taking stuff like soup for lunches? Leaking is my big deal.

I mostly use mason jars-I have itty bitty jam sized ones on up to 1/2 gallon that I store my soup in.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

BTW my Corelle says "made in USA" on the bottom of the plates but the cups/mugs say made in China! How annoying. I don't know which is worse now. I haven't been using the mugs. I just took them out today and I really like them! They are sturdy but not heavy and I think my girls can handle them. I hate the plastic ones and they end up with 3 each of them for different drinks. I think I'm gonna try to get them used to these mugs and wean away from the plastic sippy stuff until I find another mug I like. I like the fact that they will only have ONE drink at a time (besides their water in the stainless bottle). I rinsed DD1's out from breakfast this morning and she will use it again after school. Usually the dishwasher is full of their cups and there is no room for anything else lol....

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

^^My mom had a rule when we were growing up. Each morning we each got ONE cup. If that cup had milk in it and we wanted juice we had to have finished our milk because we got ONE cup. She was sick of the counter being piled with cups, the dishwasher rack being so full of cups she couldn't fit anything else, etc. I've used the same tactic since the kids were young. They have water bottles which they have unlimited access to and then we have glass "juice cups" (they're like 6-8oz sized so nice for little hands) and they get one in the morning with milk in it for breakfast. They're responsible for rinsing it and putting it in "their spot" on the counter for use later. Works great!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Yeah, my corelle was the same! "Luckily" all of my mugs have been broken!
    We only drink water so multiple cups is not too much of an issue except for Savana who always feels her glass is dirty so we just wash it multiple time a day.

Tif, I've never had them leak. They have a rubber seal.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    ^^My mom had a rule when we were growing up. Each morning we each got ONE cup. If that cup had milk in it and we wanted juice we had to have finished our milk because we got ONE cup. She was sick of the counter being piled with cups, the dishwasher rack being so full of cups she couldn't fit anything else, etc. I've used the same tactic since the kids were young. They have water bottles which they have unlimited access to and then we have glass "juice cups" (they're like 6-8oz sized so nice for little hands) and they get one in the morning with milk in it for breakfast. They're responsible for rinsing it and putting it in "their spot" on the counter for use later. Works great!
    Yes I think I will be starting that rule! DD2 only drinks water and milk for the most part. Every now and then she will ask for OJ. DD1 too for that matter so I don't know why we end up with 86 cups by the end of the day. DD2 has a bit of a problem with naughtiness and water so I am a bit worried but we'll see how she does. She likes to pour her drinks into other cups and plates and all sorts of annoying stuff. Maybe she'll feel like a big girl with her big girl mug and act responsibly....

Good point Bridget...I wont feel badly when the mugs break lol.

I already rinsed their plates from breakfast so maybe we'll be using less plates too.

This will all make so much room in the cabinet too! I am sick of their cups and plates taking up so much space! And when you go to grab one they all come falling out - it drives me batty!

If I go for the glassware it would be a much simpler storage system also. Right now we have a whole cabinet devoted to tupperware type storage bowls. It gets disorganized and messy as well....mostly because DH refuses to follow the system of putting certain bowls together and stacking them properly.

I have finally converted all my storage to glass. I prefer ones that are airtight because I store all my cereals and grains out of boxes and in airtight containers. I have some glass lock that I use for those. And, I found a random glass canister set at a local department store for 3.99 for 4 containers with stainless steel lids, and they are airtight. I also use pyrex for storing stuff in the fridge. I also reuse jars for soups and sauces. The plastic lids do not bother me too much since I rarely fill them to the top anyway.

I think I am gonna order the stuff from amazon in the end of the month. Plus some stainless steel lunch boxes for the kids' preschool. Now I have to find more mugs.

I told DH that my plan is to gradually get rid of all plastic containers by the end of the year if not sooner, and he was on board.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I also use glasslock. I got rid of all plastic food storage a couple years ago...except for the containers I send DH's lunch in. Grr...no budging there. He walks/runs to work, so there is no way he will take the glass. I LOVE the glasslock. I also have two large glass ziplock brand which are great for big batches of soups, washed greens etc.

I use all regular dishes with the kids, and I too rarely have breaks. I also have the most adorable stainless steal divided trays/plates that I find myself using for the kids at almost every meal.

We use small jelly jars for kids cups, or I also bought some stainless steal cups too - but I prefer the mason/jelly jars.

Ty the "Lifewithoutplastic" website
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

Go to reuseit.com and search Made In USA. I have a lot of glassware from hand-me-downs, antique shops and thrift stores. Stainless steel is an easy clean up, just sprinkle Arm & Hammer in and let it set. Or vinegar/water mixed 50/50 and let it set.

I've gotten better at this with using some glass some plastic. However my DH wants allll of his lunches I make for work for him in plastic containers.
    I just put back onto glass plates to reheat in the micro. I don't reheat in the plastic. I have organic paper plates that we use on occasion. But we all use glass plates to eat all of our meals on.

Spin off question..what do you use to store homemade stocks and sauces in the freezer in?? I do use plastic for that. and i just transfer to a pan to reheat.

Brenda

I use canning jars for that. I leave about an inch of space so they don't touch the lid since the bpa and such. I store them in the freezer that way too.

I have used those QT containers you get from the chinese take out place but I know I shouldn't and plan to use QT mason jars when I can buy more....

I use canning jars for that. I leave about an inch of space so they don't touch the lid since the bpa and such. I store them in the freezer that way too.
    The canning jars wont crack in the freezer? I have had glass crack before in the freezer so I have been cautious about that.

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    The canning jars wont crack in the freezer? I have had glass crack before in the freezer so I have been cautious about that.
    Some of them are freezer safe. The ones I bought said they could be frozen.

ETA: I have also frozen my stock in ice cube trays and once frozen empty into a freezer ziptop bag - like you would do with homemade baby food. It's nice because I can take out a few cubes to thin out a sauce or something or just use 1 cup of stock for a recipe.
    Last edited by macksmom; 05-20-2013 at 03:42 PM.