Thread: garlic oil for ears

Hybrid View

Default garlic oil for ears

I think someone from this group a while back said they use garlic oil for ear infections. I have used some that I got at the health food store, but it's old. How can I make some at home? My kids have colds, and I want to give them something to prevent any ear infections.

I always just cook the garlic in the oil and then use the oil in the ears. I think my last batch was 1/4 cup olive oil and one clove garlic. I don't like to make large amounts because it really only stays good for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I always just cook the garlic in the oil and then use the oil in the ears. I think my last batch was 1/4 cup olive oil and one clove garlic. I don't like to make large amounts because it really only stays good for a few days.
    thanks. I think the last time, I just put some cloves in oil, but the cooking seems better. I totally forgot last night to come back and check and make some, but i will tonight!

I do this but I also keep some on hand from the health foods store. Its perfect after swimming when you get irritated ears easily. (I do)

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)My Blog

I think if you just leave the cloves in without cooking you have to leave it for 5 days, right?
    Has anyone ever heard of vinegar in the ears after swimming? The mom of one of the kids I care for does that for her kids after they swim.

Has anyone ever heard of vinegar in the ears after swimming? The mom of one of the kids I care for does that for her kids after they swim.
    I had a horrible ear infection last year (swimmer's ear gone bad) and one of the Rx ear drops the ENT gave me was vinegar with steroid. Since it cleared up, I use a 50:50 mix of vinegar and rubbing alcohol when my ears start itching. It works really well. The Dr suggested doing it after swimming but I did not really have the need to do it every time.

I used just olive oil in LO's ears and she said her ear felt better in just a few mins.
    The garlic does sound like a good idea, if there's infection.
    I would have LO eat fresh garlic tho.

Hi cheesysmiles. Anyway, instead of extracting garlic oil from garlic, why don't you just try to make your kids consume bits of garlic. It may sound gross (due to the unpleasant taste and smell) but trust me, it will work best than the oil extract.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyd675 View Post
    Hi cheesysmiles. Anyway, instead of extracting garlic oil from garlic, why don't you just try to make your kids consume bits of garlic. It may sound gross (due to the unpleasant taste and smell) but trust me, it will work best than the oil extract.
    Thanks! I use a lot of garlic in cooking, and when I am sick, or if others around me are sick, I do eat it raw. But, one vomited a coule years ago when I gave it to him and he was sick, and my younger one, just now, wasnt eating anything, so I didn't want to attempt it.

For the ears I do think the oil is immediately soothing and gets right to the infection.