Thread: A Market for Breast Milk

Default A Market for Breast Milk

I am a student at the University of Notre Dame writing a paper about the possibility of creating a market for breast milk. This would be an opportunity for mothers who are unable to produce enough milk for their child to purchase milk from another mother. I am interested in what mothers would think about a market for breast milk being created. Would you be in favor of it? What would be your concerns?
    I am also interested in comparing it to the donor markets that are already available. If you have experience in the donor market what has your experience been like? Would you like a way to compensate the person donating to you? I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback anyone could offer me. I can assure you that your feedback will be kept anonymous in my paper.

Absolutely not. Breastmilk is free to produce and should be available to all babies, not profited from. The cost of whole healthy foods is already barely attainable for many families. The last thing we need is to make breastmilk harder to afford for the families that need it most. I also think that enough mothers are passionate enough about free donation that a for profit market will never be able to compete.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane View Post
    Absolutely not. Breastmilk is free to produce and should be available to all babies, not profited from. The cost of whole healthy foods is already barely attainable for many families. The last thing we need is to make breastmilk harder to afford for the families that need it most. I also think that enough mothers are passionate enough about free donation that a for profit market will never be able to compete.
    completely agree. i compare donating milk to donating blood. it should be free.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane View Post
    I agree as well. Charging for milk only opens up the opportunity for someone to tamper with it or dilute it to make more money. I've donated and did not want or expect anything in return.
    AKA Lisa724

I'm adopting and don't plan on taking drugs to try to get my own milk flowing. I would not use donated milk....the idea kind of grosses me out unless I knew the woman personally and knew for sure that she didn't drink, take drugs, have diseases that could be passed through milk. I would rather and plan to use formula.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My biggest concern in our money hungry society would be women having babies just to lactate so they can sell the milk then giving their own baby free formula from Wic, up for adoption or worse. I know that's a worse case scenario but I also know women who would do it and men that would demand it of them. We live in very sad times right now.