Thread: Milk producers petitioning FDA to allow aspartame in milk without labeling

Hybrid View

Default Milk producers petitioning FDA to allow aspartame in milk without labeling

I do not know if anyone has already posted this but this is outright scary. Here is a summary article with links to the full petition and where consumers can submit their comments to the FDA.

A few days ago, we sent out a Milk Alert to let you know that the milk industry has asked the government to allow artificial sweeteners to be added to flavored milks without any notice on the front of the carton. Specifically, they claim that schools trying to limit sugar intake have been dropping the flavored milks, and this would be a way to let them continue to serve the strawberry and chocolate milks but without the sugar - and without telling the children. They would be allowed to add aspartame, neotame, sucralose, or any other sweetener they want, and still say only "chocolate milk" or "strawberry milk" on the label. Once they have that permission, of course, milk products in supermarkets - including 17 other dairy products included in their petition - will all come under the same rule.
    https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...dairy-products

I agree it is outright scary and glad we have stopped drinking milk at all.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I was talking to an organic dairy farmer the other day, and she was telling me that she is horrified by a couple of potential trends, and she mentioned that. The other thing that she is keeping an out for is the soda industry talking about adding protein to soft drinks. I hadn't heard of that, and just went looking for a link. I found this: http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/04/16...n-soft-drinks/

Hoo boy! I commented.

Quote Originally Posted by mla View Post
    Hoo boy! I commented.
    Thank you!

I left a comment too. It says it takes up to weeks for the comment to appear. I hope this petition does not go through
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)