Thread: Navigating through this gmo mess

Default Navigating through this gmo mess

Just wondering if anyone has any info on research done giving names of companies that do use them or pledge not to? There are a few snack foods we eat that show wholesome ingredients but aren't organic so now I'm just worried about everything. I was relieved to find that bob's red mill is against gmo's since I use some of their gluten free flours. I see a lot of stuff floating around facebook but who knows how valid that info is! Thanks if advance!

I meant to post this in NFL.

Moved it for you.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Trader Joes, earth's best; ANY certified organic (All certified organic products are produced without the use of GMOs in accordance with the USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP). The NOP prohibits the intentional use of genetically modified organisms in organic products)
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Thanks Gwenn!

I know that certified organic has to be but surely that can't mean everything else is gmo?

Does that mean any brand at Trader Joe's is non GMO?
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Bridget, www.nongmoproject.org has good info and little guide on what to look for. I think that www.westonaprice.org has info too but I cannot pull up the website. I think I have a good article in my email too, I will go look for it and post it if I find it.

Here is a list based on the companies that donated $$ to defeat prop 37 in CA. I got this from Feingold Association newsletter:

Donors contributing to the defeat of the GMO labeling initiative included giant corporations that own organic and natural food companies.
    (Source: Organic Consumers Association)
    PepsiCo - Naked Juice, Tostito's Organic, Tropicana Organic, Flat Earth Snacks, Simple Harvest, True North Snacks
    Kraft - Boca Burgers, Back to Nature
    Safeway - "O" Organics
    Coca-Cola - Honest Tea, Odwalla
    General Mills - Muir Glen, Cascadian Farm, Nature Valley, Larabar
    Con-Agra - Orville Redenbacher's Organic, Hunt's Organic, Lightlife, Alexia, Healthy Choice, Smart Dogs
    Kellogg's - Kashi, Bear Naked, Morningstar Farms, Gardenburger, Stretch Island
    Smuckers - R.W. Knudsen, Santa Cruz Organic
    Unilever - Ben & Jerry's, Ragu Organic
    Last edited by impatient; 03-17-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Well that sucks.

ETA: Thanks so much for sharing this info!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Check out this post by pepperlru:

http://americanpregnancy.org/forums/...g-corporations

lobbying against the defeat of a labeling law doesn't mean that a company uses GMO ingredients. It just means that a firm doesn't want to incur the high costs or lawsuits that come with one state's regulations/laws that aren't required by the other 49 or in the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    lobbying against the defeat of a labeling law doesn't mean that a company uses GMO ingredients. It just means that a firm doesn't want to incur the high costs or lawsuits that come with one state's regulations/laws that aren't required by the other 49 or in the rest of the world.
    I beg to differ. Soy and corn are in virtually every processed food. If 90% of all soy and 80% of corn grown in the US is GMO, they are using it whether they are intentionally buying GMO or not. Nearly every can of soda is made with high fructose corn syrup and the ones made with sugar (like Coke that is available at Passover time) just say "sugar", not "cane sugar" ... Odds are they use GMO beet sugar to some extent.

And on a separate note, more states are considering labeling. The law is now being reviewed by Florida legislature. All the large companies have worldwide markets and already either label or do not use GMO in the EU.

Raspberry: TJ has a guarantee that every brand it sells is GMO free. It is on their website too. That is why we buy all of our treats from there. We have a big Tj around the corner of house. I think so does whole foods but i am not 100% sure. Plus WF, sprouts and other health stores are farther from here but I buy mostly supplements from there.

Bridget: unfortunately organic and brands sold at stores that have made a promise/commitment to their customers is the sure way. As impatient explained, GMo modified corn and soy are pretty much everywhere.

impatient: thanks for the list
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

*Sigh. Pirate Booty! They cannot do this to me. It's my go to for car rides. Motherfudger.
    I assued, I guess, that if the natural food co-op was carrying it that it was all good.

So if you email a company and they say,
    We do not actively source ingredients that contain GMOs but we cannot claim GMO free. We work with our vendors to adhere to the same philosophy.
    Not good, right?

Not perfect. I wish they said "although we cannot guarantee gmo free, we actively seek gmo free ingredients."
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Which company was that?
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

This is such a tough one huh? About 4 years ago when I started learning about GMO's and corn and soy, I was honestly so grossed out and freaked out. That feeling has of course tamed down a bit with time (why does that always happen to me?)...but I do try REALLY hard to buy only organic or specifically non-GMO when there is corn or soy (which is EVERYTHING of course).

I had never heard that statement about Trader Joes! Wow, pretty impressive, and at the risk of sound like a skeptic...hard to believe (no offense AT ALL to you Tanyachap). I love me some TJ!

This thread got me thinking and I double checked the TJ as well WF webiste. So they both guarantee that their brands are GMO free but cannot guarantee for the others due to lack of regulation. I was wrong that all brands at TJ are guaranteed to be GMO free - wishful thinking I guess....
    Last edited by tanyachap; 03-22-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I asked my co-op when I was shopping this week and she said, "We promote organic. Otherwise we can't guarantee. We've been specifically told to say that we promote organic and leave it at that." Then she went on to tell me that some of the major share holders are involved with the gmo companies and adamant that they won't pull gmo producst off the shelves. She also said that if I don't like it she urges me to voice my opinion to the board.

I really don't even know the specifics about gmos to be honest and really need to learn more. I have a cousin (who likes to mention his degrees in the field of science during most conversations) who tells me that I'm just the fear mongers override my logical thinking. Is there some literature you all could link me to that would give me good info? I have been reading from a website I subscribe to but I admit they are sensationlist and really into conspiracy theories and such so I often don't know how much to believe in what they say. But I love their info on herbal remedies so I still read. I'd appreciate some more objective info if anyone has. Thanks!

Go to Green Peace website. They have all companies that us GMO listed there. Lipton and Mars included.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook