Thread: America becoming less religious

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I feel like going 'YAY!' but that'd probably offend (too late, huh?).

Aw, makes me proud that we are starting to grow up!

Hout and Fischer are authors of the General Social Survey study that in 2002 first identified a rise in the number of "unchurched." They are careful to distinguish the survey category of "no religion," which means individuals who are not part of an organized religion, from "atheists," who do not believe in God and made up just 3 percent of those interviewed last year.
    I like that term, "unchurched". It has an old world feel to it.

I do have to wonder where they got their subjects from, and if it was a representative sample of all of the U.S. I'm guessing so because of the finding that "residents of the Midwestern and Southern states were least likely to claim "no religion" compared to respondents in the Western, Mountain and Northeastern states. But Midwesterners and Southerners are catching up..." Would love to get my hands on the raw data.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I like that term, "unchurched". It has an old world feel to it.

I do have to wonder where they got their subjects from, and if it was a representative sample of all of the U.S. I'm guessing so because of the finding that "residents of the Midwestern and Southern states were least likely to claim "no religion" compared to respondents in the Western, Mountain and Northeastern states. But Midwesterners and Southerners are catching up..." Would love to get my hands on the raw data.
    Yeah, my Southern USA Facebook friends' statuses (stati?) would not agree with that.

I like the term unchurched too.