Thread: Inner lip caught between teeth

Default Inner lip caught between teeth

DD, after chewing some food, caught her frenulum (mucosal part by upper lip) between the gap of her upper front teeth. It is stuck, I've tried, our pediatrician has tried, our dentist was going to try but DD was too upset. Dentist referred us to an oral surgeon and says they will need to cut out part of the frenulum to make it smaller. She said it will happen again and again otherwise, which I don't really believe, since it's never happened before. Anyway, I don't want surgery for her...anyone have experience with getting this type of thing unstuck? TIA!

I have no experience, but didn't want to read and not respond. I hope that others can offer suggestions! Sounds painful. Poor DD

DD2 has this. It's never gotten caught between her teeth, but she has a gap between her two front teeth and they correct that by cutting her frenulum. It's a form of tongue tie. Not looking forward to that when she is older.

ETA... sorry no advice to unstick it. I don't blame her for being upset. HUGS!
    Last edited by ljs318; 03-08-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

never heard of this! Sounds awful I suppose it's not too different from what they do to tongue tied babies though?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

Ouch! I wish I had advice...I'm sure that hurts.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I just googled "frenulum stuck in teeth" and apparently this happens more than I would have guessed! I'm sure you have googled it too, but I bet you could find some posts about ideas to try! I'd try ice thinking that if it's inflamed from being stuck that it may be swolen and a better chance getting it out if the swelling goes down? I'd never heard of this happening. I sure hope you find a way!
    ~Andrea~

That sounds horrible! I hope she gets some relief soon! Poor thing.

I have a frenulum in between my teeth as well since my whole life and I do have a gap in between my teeth but, its not a major gap. I've had it my whole life and the dentist wanted to remove by via surgery when I was younger for cosmetic reasons. My mom said no so it wasn't done. It has not bothered me at all. If you don't want to do surgery then I wouldn't worry about it unless it causes problems.

Blog Entries

Would it really be a surgery or just something done in the office? I personally would just have it shortened, especially since she seems to be freaking out about it being stuck. But, that is just my opinion - I've never dealt with this myself of with my children although I do have extra tissue in my gums that I almost had to have removed as it was between my two front teeth. There was concern that it would get pinched as my braces got rid of the gap between them. The tissue just moved back but I wish that it had been removed. It gets burned by food all the time even though the rest of my mouth and gums are fine with the food temperature.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart