Thread: Pots and pans

Default Pots and pans

What type do you use? I have all stainless steel but I am getting SO tired of things sticking if I don't use insane amounts of fat/oil or a non-stick spray (which I don't like). I would love a non-stick but they freak me out.Any of you use them? What types of surfaces do you have on yours?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

We very much prefer stainless steel. All of the nonsticks have eventually had the coating come off - they say it is because the heat is too high but you can't cook everything on low heat. We just use a stainless steel scrub to get any residue off. We haven't really had tons of issues with food sticking super badly.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I use cast iron and when seasoned properly, they are as good as non-stick. Mine are perfect now and I can even make over easy eggs in them which is no small feat for me! Plus did you know cooking in cast iron actually allows the food to absorb iron so you have added iron in your diet as well!

I also use cast iron or stainless steel, but I use my cast iron skillet for just about everything. I want a full set of cast iron cookware. Not only does it work as well as nonstick as long as it's properly seasoned, but it adds iron to your food, it's safer than coated cookware, and it's much cheaper than most other cookware. The downside is that you have to wash it by hand, but you don't use soap on it. If something sticks to mine, I use salt to scrub it out. The other downside is that it's heavy. I sometime have to get dh to help me dump things out of the pan. You can also get enamel coated cast iron which I believe can be washed.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

I had a cast iron which I liked but I didn't know how to season it properly and it was SO heavy. Then it rusted! I didn't realize if I seasoned it well it would be non-stick-like. Maybe I will start using the other one I have. The one that rusted had raised grills so it was very hard to clean.

I did know about the iron which I thought was cool! So how do you season it correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I had a cast iron which I liked but I didn't know how to season it properly and it was SO heavy. Then it rusted! I didn't realize if I seasoned it well it would be non-stick-like. Maybe I will start using the other one I have. The one that rusted had raised grills so it was very hard to clean.

I did know about the iron which I thought was cool! So how do you season it correctly?
    Even if they rust you can usually salvage them.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

She also has a post on stripping derusting.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries

Thanks for that link. I'd love to have a cast iron pan/skillet/pot.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane View Post
    Even if they rust you can usually salvage them.http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/She also has a post on stripping derusting.
    Thanks. I will read this when I get a chance. I threw out the rusted pan

You coat it in oil and bake it. I coat the inside of mine with oil after each use and it took awile to get it perfect. Mine were actually rusted once too when my brother stayed at my house and ran them in the dishwasher where they then sat for days. I can't even remember exactly how I got the rust out, it was years ago but they're all good now. I have used soap in mine when I've let food sit.

I have tried nonstick and they do stuck and eventually come off. I use stainless steel OR my anolon hard anodized nonstick. I do not cook on more than medium high with those and they heat up wonderfully. No metal utensils and them and hand wash. They clean so easily with just a swipe of the wash rag. The nonstick coating is much better than anything i have used before and after a year of heavy use, it still looks brand new. I like cast iron in theory but they are just too heavy for me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I love my cast iron skillet, and have just recently purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far I REALLY like it! My cast iron is good, but not a perfect non-stick surface (which I haven't used in years), and boy is it a nice feeling to not have to use as much oil!

I have never used this brand but it has high reviews on amazon and a LOT of them. http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Textured...stick+cookware

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have been planning to get cast iron forever and this thread is totally inspiring me.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I have stainless steel Vapo-Seal cookwear and some Cast Iron. Dh has a few nonstick pans he uses for his eggs.

Today's Livingsocial has cast iron cookware- per-seasoned, I believe. Thought I'd pass that along.

i only use stainless steel. do you all cook eggs on your cast irons? I keep a small nonstick around just for scrambled eggs. Would a cast iron work instead?

Well seasoned cast iron is supposed to work just like non-stick. I used some ancient cast iron cookware when we went to a friend's ancestral home, and it was amazing to cook with. Really heavy, though.

I cook eggs in my cast iron.

Fleet farm(not sure if you have one) sells an all natural non-stick pan...the trick with stainless steel is to cook much lower temps than you normally would with non-stick pans. Try knocking it down a few knotches and see if it changes anything for you?

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

this was it...https://www.orgreenicsale.com/ so they sell them lots of places

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I have stainless steal, cast iron (my preference), and non-stick cookware. I LOVE LOVE my castiron and use it daily for everything. I use stainless steal to pretty much quickly brown something or to make large pots of gravy (tomato sauce) and large pots of soups/broths/chili. I have some non stick I do use on occasion for one reason or another.

Brenda

Stainless steel for our pots, cast iron for most of our pans.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog