Thread: I am finally making my way over here...

Default I am finally making my way over here...

Hi! I am finally making the move over here from the TTC board. I was thinking about it for the past 4 months, but never quite got up the courage.

Me (32) and DH (33) have been actively TTC since May 2012. I have very, very irregular cycles, and they suspect I have mild PCOS, but no official Dx yet. It seems like the Dr's aren't really pursuing it as I am normal weight so they say the treatment is the same whether I have it or not. I have been charting since July and doing acupuncture since December. I tried vitex, fertilitea, red rasberry leaf, OPKs, etc unsuccessfully. DH had a normal SA.

I had an early m/c at 5 wks almost 2 months ago, tight before I was supposed to get my hysteroscopy, u/s, and SIS and start medicated cycles, but they pushed that all back by 2 months bc of the m/c. I am on day 4/10 of provera, so hopefully AF comes soon once I finish it and we can get this show on the road!

I will be getting a new job in a few months so it will be so much easier if I can get pg before then, bc I am not sure when I will be able to go through treatments again after that. Plus, the m/c was really hard on me and DH, we got so excited, now really, really want to get back to that place again soon.

I am thinking about asking my RE if we can skip the medicated cycles and go straight to IUI (if the hysteroscopy is normal), but I am not sure if they will let me do this, they seem kind of conservative. How have your experiences been with requesting infertility treatment? Also, can you do IUI cycles back to back? Heck, I would go straight to IVF if they would let me
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13

I'm sorry you are here but welcome!

I did back to back IUI cycles. The second one gave us DS. This current one is my first IUI since DS and since the miscarriage. We conceived that one on our own without the RE.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Welcome!

For me, back to back cycles would not work because the clomid was too hard on my lining. If your lining stays healthy, there is no reason you can't. Unless the first cycle works!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

"Welcome", sort of! Wish you didn't have to join, though, of course.

My experience has been excellent, but I have a pretty awesome RE. Basically, anything I want, she gives me. The only time they didn't work with me was over the most recent Christmas / New Year's holidays, because they just weren't in and couldn't fit me in, so I had to skip that cycle. Boo. But, suffice it to say, it doesn't hurt to ask! Hopefully they'll be pretty awesome for you.

Yes, you can do back to back IUIs, and as Gwyn said, back to back Clomid, as long as you don't have negative effects. I'm on Letrozole and Menopur now, though, and that can not be done back to back, so stick with Clomid while you can!

And as for IVF... If your insurance doesn't cover it, and you'll be paying for it, you probably can do that ASAP, if that's what you really want. I know mine works that way. For insurance to cover it (though mine doesn't), you have to prove the need for it (at least, some are this way, maybe not all), which means failed IUIs.

Though, of course, I hope it does not come to that for you, and that your first works!!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the info!

I will be on femara- my request as I heard the side effects were less and my acupuncturist recommended it, and RE agreed bc she likes it better too (though it seemed like she we going to start clomid until I asked). Is it the femara that is bad for back to back cycles or the menopur? I just want to prep myself for what the range of possibilities are.

It really depends on your body and how it responds to the medications. As you go down this road you will learn a lot about your body.

Welcome, hope your stay is super short!! Best of luck
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

Welcome, I hope your stay in STC is short and sweet! I have a friend that has PCOS, they tried naturally for a very long time, and she is now on her 2nd healthy natural pregnancy. Everyone is different, hopefully this process will be short and fruitful for you!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

Thanks for all of your welcomes!

AF finally came today!!!!!!! So I am now on CD1!

After getting everything pushed back 2+ months because of the miscarriage, I finally have the rest of my work up scheduled for this Thursday! It is an U/S, SIS, and hysteroscopy.

If everything looks good, we will start femara right away! And I am going to ask if we can do IUI too.
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13

Yay!

CD1 for me today, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Yay!

CD1 for me today, too.
    I am so sorry AF came but I am happy to be here with you for a December baby. Gatorgrits is on cd2 too. Maybe ttc on the same cycle will bring us strength and !
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13

Thanks! Good luck!

I had my appointment and my uterus looks normal and my tubes are open! I did have a lot of resting follicles, but she said not quite severe enough to make it a firm diagnosis of PCOS, she thinks it's some kind of ovulatory disfunction.

And she agreed that IUI with a trigger is a good idea

So I am starting 5mg of femara today, CD4, and then we will have an u/s to check my follies on CD12! I have no idea how my body will respond, but I am hoping for the best.
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13

Good luck!

Welcome to the IUI club! Hope it's your one and only! Out of curiousity, why femara and not Clomid? My RE has never mentioned femara as an option even though I don't respond well to Clomid. I know she isn't a fan because the long-term effects are unknown, but so many APA ladies seem to have luck with it. Just curious...
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Thanks Gwenn and Jen!

About the femara, my acupuncturist recommended it because of clomid being associated with side effects like thin lining and vaginal dryness. So I asked my re and she said that she likes it, she just doesnt always recommend it 1st thing because some women are a little more hesitant to take it bc some people think it is associated with increased birth defects, but she thinks that is from advanced maternal age and other causes of infertility, and explained how it leaves your body even faster than clomid. I read up on it and found the same info. And it seems like they are pretty equivalent in helping women get pg Have you asked your re if you could try femara? I heard it was more $ but when I filled it today it was less than $7 at Costco!
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13

Just popping in to say good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JessieBee1027 View Post
    Just popping in to say good luck!
    Thanks Jessie!

popping in to say good luck too!

Thanks Kara!

I have my CD12 u/s tomorrow morning and I am so nervous! What if the femara didn't work? Aaah, I can't wait for it to be tomorrow am!!!
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13