Thread: First IUI. I have a few questions and would love some advice please!

Default First IUI. I have a few questions and would love some advice please!

I just had a visit with my RE. My ultrasound revealed that I have two follies one at 16 and one at 18 both on my left ovary, I guess the rt decided to go on vacation. My lining is measuring 10.5. I asked the doc if my lining had a triple layer and he said yeah everything looks good. So, he told me to do another shot of Bravelle today, trigger tomorrow between 4-5 pm, and IUI will be Wednesday. I am very nervous and excited. I was wondering if my measurements seem good to you ladies? Would you suggest I take the day off for my IUI? I work as an RN. Should I abstain prior to IUI? I'm really nervous that I only have two follies at this point. Any advice about what may help with implantation? Thanks!

Two follies is great. Most of the time I only ever get one. I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that 90% of the time, you ovulate from the same side. Of all the medicated and/or monitored cycles I've done (a lot), I've had a follie on the left once. My right ovary does all the work. My RE doesn't trigger until 18mm, so you already have one ready to go. I've never triggered on my own (always done in the RE's office). I try to take the day off of the IUI, but the one time I got my BFP, I was a little less relaxed that day, getting up and doing stuff, etc.

My RE prefers to abstain for 3 days prior to IUI solely for the purpose of getting the best swimmers. However, it depends on your hubby. My DH has great swimmers (and a lot of them) and we were able to abstain for two days prior and still got 123 million post-wash.

Also, I'm a believer in pineapple core. Take the core of the pineapple and cut into 5 equal pieces. Eat one piece each day at the same time for 5 days beginning the day of the IUI. It helps with implantation. I've done the pineapple thing three times, and gotten a BFP twice. This last time I got a BFN but I got the stomach flu right around when implantation normally occurs for me, so who knows if that affected things. Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

That sounds perfect! I always had 2-3 follies with my IUIs. Definitely should abstain 48-72 hours before the IUI/collection. The will probably have you DTD the night of the IUI too. Good luck!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

Thank you so much for your replies ladies, it really put me at ease! I took my trigger shot at 4pm today and IUI will be at 8:30am Wednesday. I just calculated and my tww will be over on my birthday. I really hope I have something to celebrate! Good luck to you as we'll ladies!

Just wanted to give update in case anyone was reading and doing IUI for the first time. I had my IUI done this morning. DH count was 130 million post wash with 75% motility. Before insemination this morning I ate some eggs and had a little grape juice. I plan on starting the pineapple core tonight. The whole process went smoothly. I had U/S afterwards and my RE stated that I had definitely ovulated from one follie probably last night and the other follie this morning sometime. Right now I am having some cramping but nothing worse than when I have AF. I also found out my RE performed the first ever IUI in this country right in the office I was in! I had no clue he was one of the pioneers in infertility treatments! So now I start my TWW! Hopefully I will get the best bday present ever!

Glad your IUI went well! Definitely continue the pineapple core for 5 days. Hopefully you got the day off and you can relax and have a good day. Hoping for a birthday BFP for you!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

So glad it went well! I hope t

Woops! I meant to say I hope you get a wonderful birthday present!

Good luck!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12