Thread: ABCmouse.com

Default ABCmouse.com

Anybody subscribe to this? Thinking of buying it...
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

no. but i am curious too..

I let Cody play on some of their free games. He liked it but, we didn't buy it because he started Pre-K soon after.

omg I love it so much!!!! I subscribe for cam and he loves going to "school" on the computer!!!! he's through the first level of the pre-k program and a third of the way through the second level already.

My dad bought this for Paige last year.... I'm not that into letting her play computer games and I know you always hear that kids don't really learn well in that setting.... But she did learn a whole bunch on it. Before playing she knew only her upper case letters and had no interest in learning her lower case letters.. She learned with ease on this game... also she wasn't into counting above 10 before playing and she learned to count very high with the game. The only thing is it is pretty addicting and we really had to be strict about time limits on it. We don't have it anymore and I don't think we will get it again. As awesome it is for learning letter recognition and numbers as well as bunch of animal facts... I also feel that imaginative play is more important at this age and I don't like that it was causing arguments between us since she didn't ever want to stop playing.

We have 2 in school-Kinder and Pre K. I really feel that DS (PreK) could use a little extra help. My kindergardener is excelling, but I think she would really enjoy the extra time on the computer. I've heard a lot of good about ABCmouse.com. But I agree, it would need to be limited.

We subscribed to it a few weeks ago. My DD likes it; I like it (not LOVE). We do alot of pre academic skills while playing but it is nice to put her on laptop for a few minutes while I am cooking dinner. It is pretty comprehensive (reading, math, coloring, facts on animals, different habitats, etc.

You can try it out for free for 30 days.

since I plan to incorporate computer lessons with a home school curriculum this is perfect to get him used to being at the computer to learn. as long as the computer is in a common area and he is supervised I see no issue with letting him go for the most part.

sometimes I have to walk in circles with my high needs infant....I'm passing him every few minutes and he's doing lessons, playing games, listening to songs, reading books and watching videos. all of which I can hear and see from my couch should I get the opportunity to sit for a little bit. since computer proficiency is only going to get to be more and more of a necessity I also see no reason why my child can't learn from an early age. we also run through workbooks, read together, go to the park, he rides his bike.....so it's not like I just ignore him on the computer for hours on end.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't understand why everyone is so reluctant to let their kids play on a computer. if your child wants to have fun and learn from games, sings and videos....let them. play learning is how children learn quite a bit.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I just looked at the site and it looks pretty neat. I would probably investigate further, but I already have an annual subscription to More Starfall and I tend to limit screen time as well, even though it is learning and they are having fun. One of the things I noticed about it that is different is that it has graduated levels.

Generally, I think my kids have learned a ton of math and reading from the program on our computer, and they are very proficient with the mouse and with being able to select Starfall by double-clicking on the desktop icon. I do think there is a big difference between limiting screen time and being reluctant to let kids play on a computer. Especially since my twins started kindergarten, they spend a lot more time sitting in class and not playing and having free time, so I don't want them to be sitting down at home when homework is done. Also, 2/3 of my children would happily spend hours in front of the TV or computer and only budge to get a snack or a drink or go to the bathroom, mouth slightly open, eyes, slightly glazed, and would yell at me if I tried to dislodge them. I need to set limits because they're not setting limits themselves.

30 day trial! Didn't know that. I think I'm going to give it a try.