Thread: Disney cruise vs Disneyland and more questions...

Default Disney cruise vs Disneyland and more questions...

I'm trying to plan a Disney vacay. Not sure if we are going to go this year or next, but I'm a huge planner and I like to know what, when, where, why, and who months in advance so I'm not hit with any unexpected expenses.

So for those who have done one or the other, or both, please share your experiences. And if you could be specific about the cruiseline (not sure if the Disney cruise line is just one ship or if there are several). Also, besides "Disney", how was the accommodations, food, activities, good for kids and adults, etc.

If we go this year, we were thinking around October/November. Kids will be 6, 4, and 1.5.

For those who stayed in Disneyland (California), what hotel did you go to? I know we could save a substantial amount of $$ if we stay in the neighboring hotels, but I think I'd like to stay in the Disney hotels. What's the difference between the three? What did you like/hate? Was the food package worth it?

Also, what ages were your children and what park did they enjoy most (Disneypark, or California Adventures, etc). I haven't been to Disneyland in YEARS so I have no idea what the new additions are and what they have. But we'd like to stay for at least a week.

Any other comments, advice, etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks, all!!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I don't have any experience with Disneyland, but I have been on a Disney cruise (just last spring), and to Walt Disney World multiple times. DH and I absolutely loved the cruise. We were without kids (our first is due in just a few weeks!), but I understand the kids programs are excellent. Your kids will be very happy in the kids clubs, so you can have some adult time with DH if you want. DCL (Disney Cruise Line) currently has 4 ships: Wonder, Magic, Dream, and Fantasy. The Wonder and Magic are the two oldest ships, and the Dream and Fantasy are larger and newer. We were on the Dream, which does 3 and 4-night cruises (ours was 4 nights). It was our first ever cruise, and we loved it so much we booked on board for another cruise this spring. We had to cancel due to the little one on the way, but we're okay with that

Nobody does customer service and magical experience like Disney, and we felt like they always went out of their way to keep all the guests happy (and well-fed). The entertainment was excellent as well. They do a big stage show each night in the main theater, which were all very enjoyable and well-done. They have plenty of family and kid-centered activities available, but also a good variety of adult-only options when you want to do that. Besides the ship itself (which is beautiful), the private island Castaway Cay is really paradise. Not only is it a beautiful tropical island and beach, all the Disney characters from the ship are hanging out there as well and there are activities you can do on the island as well as on the ship.
    Me-Katie(34) & DH-Tim(42). Married 10/2003. TTC since 6/2008. MC 5/2010 (8 weeks). MC 1/2011 (8 weeks). BFP 7/20/2012.

you'd have to pay me to take any sort of cruise ship anywhere...i've heard far too many horror stories.

only been to disneyworld and with little kids I would stay on the park grounds for easy to and from the hotel for breaks/naps when needed...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I haven't been to either (I went to Disney World as a kid), but we just booked a Disney cruise for late July. We chose the cruise over going to Disney World because we figured there would be less walking, fewer lines, the ability to get back to the room quick if we got tired, and just less time getting from here to there and more time actually having fun. We are taking the Dream for 4 nights. We also like that there is so much for the kids to do.As for the cruise horror stories, I've heard of maybe 2 (at least high profile ones) happening every year. Now think about how many cruises go without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I haven't been to either (I went to Disney World as a kid), but we just booked a Disney cruise for late July. We chose the cruise over going to Disney World because we figured there would be less walking, fewer lines, the ability to get back to the room quick if we got tired, and just less time getting from here to there and more time actually having fun. We are taking the Dream for 4 nights. We also like that there is so much for the kids to do.As for the cruise horror stories, I've heard of maybe 2 (at least high profile ones) happening every year. Now think about how many cruises go without a hitch.
    I was thinking about this, too. Especially because we would be traveling with younger kids. You'll have to let me know how it goes!! Exciting!!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

If u have Facebook find Disney Dana! She is awesome & a pro when it comes to planning disney. Tell her DeeDee sent ya ;)

We have taken 3 cruises since my eldest (6) was born.... And long ones (2 weeks). They are really kid friendly, actually. They loved the kids club, the swimming and all the rest of the activities.

We enjoyed some adult time (my parents were over from Australia with us) and we did a lot of fun family things in all the ports.

However after one of the 2 week cruises we spent a week at Disney world. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. It's definitely not relaxing, but the kids had a blast as did dh and I.

If I had to choose, I think I would go with the cruise. More relaxing.

We went on a cruise last year, but it wasn't a Disney one. I have a friend who did do a Disney cruise and they loved it. It was around the Med. We went to the Canary Islands. The kids absolutely loved it. The older ones who could go to the kids' clubs had a blast; the only thing I could complain about was that there wasn't much to do for the younger kids. We didn't get great weather and even went through a massive storm (my MIL was convinced that we were all going to die), so that kind of colored my opinion of cruises. I don't think I'd go on one again, but I like walking around on land too much, I think!