I'm trying to plan a Disney vacay. Not sure if we are going to go this year or next, but I'm a huge planner and I like to know what, when, where, why, and who months in advance so I'm not hit with any unexpected expenses.

So for those who have done one or the other, or both, please share your experiences. And if you could be specific about the cruiseline (not sure if the Disney cruise line is just one ship or if there are several). Also, besides "Disney", how was the accommodations, food, activities, good for kids and adults, etc.

If we go this year, we were thinking around October/November. Kids will be 6, 4, and 1.5.

For those who stayed in Disneyland (California), what hotel did you go to? I know we could save a substantial amount of $$ if we stay in the neighboring hotels, but I think I'd like to stay in the Disney hotels. What's the difference between the three? What did you like/hate? Was the food package worth it?

Also, what ages were your children and what park did they enjoy most (Disneypark, or California Adventures, etc). I haven't been to Disneyland in YEARS so I have no idea what the new additions are and what they have. But we'd like to stay for at least a week.

Any other comments, advice, etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks, all!!