Thread: Need some advice

Default Need some advice

I hope I can explain this without getting everything all confused. The past 4-5 months, my dr has me go in on CD 21 to get a blood draw and see where my progesterone is and if I've ovulated. It's always negative, progesterone super low. This is of course assuming that I ovulate on CD 14. Last time I went and had one done it was even lower than the one before so she said maybe we are missing your O, you could be oing later. But then she didn't change the date of my blood draw, still said go in on CD 21. Well this month I started using OPK's and got what I think was a positive on CD 17. This is obviously after CD 14, so my question is should I go in on CD 24 or 25 to get the blood work done? I called yesterday and spoke to a nurse and she said if the OPK was positive then there's no need for a blood draw. I'm not totally convinced I ovulated just 'cause I never have before so I'm still wanting the blood draw. I called today to speak directly to my dr and she's out sick and tomorrow is her day off. So should I just go in and have the draw done on CD 24-25? The lab won't know it's not CD 21 so they'll do what they always do and check my progesterone levels. I'm just obsessing over it a little bit because I googled (worst thing ever to do I know) and Clomid, which I took CD 5-9 and PCOS, which I have can make for a false positive. I just hate to waste another month of doing nothing when I should be either bumping up the Clomid another 50 mg or getting in to see an RE which was my next step. Props if you made it through this whole post.
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

I've been diagnosed with PCOS even though I have zero symptoms for it (hormonal or otherwise). I don't rely on OPKs. My RE makes me do them, but I've never gotten a positive before CD 15 on Clomid, and the one time I got a false positive turned out to be on a cycle that my body didn't respond to Clomid at all. My cycles are completely monitored. I go into the RE on CD 15 if no positive OPK before then. We usually know exactly when I ovulate because I am triggered. I've had my progesterone checked a couple of times post-O, but it usually isn't the norm. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Do the blood draw. OPKs do not confirm that ovulation took place.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I would also recommend charting. You can have false positives on OPKs and EWCM with PCOS and still not ovulate. Been there.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Thanks for the advice ladies!
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

I would still get the blood draw. When I was at my RE and I was on Femara, I didn't O until CD 19. I called and talked to my nurse and they still had me come in on CD21 even though I just O'd. They will still be able to confirm whether you O or not. Mine at CD21 was only 3 but they did say that I O'd and to just wait and see at the point.
    So even though you got a + at CD 17, it would still tell you if you O'd at CD21, just might not be as high as it would have you O'd on CD 14.
    *Sara-28**Lee-28* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

**TTC since 08/01/14. 1500mg of Metformin and 2.5mg Femara**

I would also still get the blood draw, and adjust the date to be 8 days after you get the +OPK. A positive OPK doesn't indicate ovulation, it just announces your body's LH surge to induce ovulation. I have always had +OPKs, but usually have low progesterone due to poor ovulation. Your RE should be able to work with you to make sure that your progesterone levels accurately reflect what is going on. Good luck to you!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!