Thread: Period and pregnancy question

Question Period and pregnancy question

Hello. I've got a question that I need an answer to. Last Saturday my husband and I had intercourse, then the next day (Sunday) I started my period. I read on this site that I can still get pregnant during my period because of the sperm being able to live for 3-5 days inside my body. So my question is could i still get pregnant while still bleeding at the same time? Or would the sperm "hide" while i was bleeding then i would get pregnant immediately after my period stops? I'm just confused as to whether I would continue to bleed to the end of my "normal" cycle if I got pregnant during my period, or if the bleeding would stop if i were to get pregnant. Any info helps. Thanks

Usually (all women are different) a woman has a 28 day cycle and will ovulate around day 14. If sperm can live 3-5 days, then sex between days 9-11 might result in pregnancy. If your cycle is shorter than 28 days it's possible you O earlier than day 14 - but I just can not imagine any scenario where your cycle was so short that sperm from before the cycle began lived long enough to fertilize an egg. If you have sex toward the end of your period and you have a short cycle, it's possible to get pregnant but in this case I just can't imagine any way it would be possible.

And bleeding is shedding of the uterine lining that allows an egg to implant, so if you bleed the entire contents of your lining, the pregnancy would be over anyway. Pregnancy does not occur when the sperm enter the uterus - it occurs when an egg is fertilized and implants in the lining. Once a period begins, it doesn't stop.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-28-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

You can only get pregnant if you ovulate (release an egg). With the typical 28 day cycle that usually happens around the 14th day after the first day of your last period. So if you started your period Sunday you most likely will not ovulate until the 7th of April or later (have intercourse every other day the first two weeks of April if you're hoping to be pg ). Even if you have extremely short cycles it's very very unlikely you would ovulate during your period...takes a completely different combination of hormones to have a period than to ovulate.

Sperm can live up to 3-5days but it's unlikely they can navigate through your menstrual flow.

Hope that helps!! Kup!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Gwenn...posted at the same time...sorry for the echo
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Gwenn...posted at the same time...sorry for the echo
    Oh, no ... great minds think alike!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

My cycle is weird it varies in length, and so does my period. Some months it'll last only 3 days and some it'll last 5 or 6. But thanks ladies, this helped a lot. I wasn't too sure.

I add this: My husbands family is mostly doctors, and it dose happen where women get pregnant while on their periods, but it is rare. But they have seen cases where the woman was surprised to be as she only has sex on her period to be safe. But it's not likely.