Thread: Bath toys that don't mold/mildew?

Default Bath toys that don't mold/mildew?

I am looking for some fun stuff for the kids to play with in the bath. I get so picky and grossed out by anything that has holes or squirts for the mildew issue. Also, DS has a problem with wanting to drink the water out of anything that holds water...

...so, nothing that squirts, pours, bubbles or holds water. Sheesh, sounds like a blast huh?

Any ideas?

Maybe the drinking the bath water thing will be over soon, and they can have some containers, spoons, etc again?

We have a different set of letters and numbers that were given to us as a gift, but I love these and have given them as a gift to a lot of people: http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Eric...arle+bath+toys

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I have never seen mold on my foam letters. We use cups and buckets...and DS2 likes to try to drink sometimes, so I just have to really watch. We have a bunch of pitchers, and they love to pour and pour. We also have some plastic boats that are meant for outside. I have never tried them, but there are crayons you can use in the tub too.

I agree with those foam bath letters / numbers / play scapes. Boats, bath paints / crayons, spoons, bowls, cups, a turkey baster (yup, Maiya LOVES ours, and it is completely washable, inside and out!), or any solid plastic toys. Maiya has a set that is completely solid and work great in the bath, something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Safari-LTD-Big...ref=pd_sim_t_6 Not this exact set, though, so not positive that these don't have holes or something. Also, I notice your baby is younger, so of course they might not work if they're too small...
    Last edited by Krystal5; 03-05-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    I agree with those foam bath letters / numbers / play scapes. Boats, bath paints / crayons, spoons, bowls, cups, a turkey baster (yup, Maiya LOVES ours, and it is completely washable, inside and out!), or any solid plastic toys. Maiya has a set that is completely solid and work great in the bath, something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Safari-LTD-Big...ref=pd_sim_t_6 Not this exact set, though, so not positive that these don't have holes or something. Also, I notice your baby is younger, so of course they might not work if they're too small...
    both my boys LOVE toobs! Never thought to take them into the tub

I wouldn't have, either! Leave it to my water and animal loving two year old to find every single baby in the house that can go in the bath with her... But they are GREAT!

Thanks ladies! We do have two sets of foam (letters, and pictures), but that's it for now. I will look into toobs!

we've given up on them and let the kids have their cups and wash clothes...I choose cups because I can dishwasher them and they are good to go again. I've had WAY WAY WAY too many squeezy toys with mold and mildew and it grosses me out completely.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

We have the Munchkin letters/numbers/animals, too. No problems. And the munchkin sealife squirters; no problem there either over 3+ years but maybe that's b/c we're careful to empty them after every bath.

This was a hit for a while: http://www.amazon.com/Winnie-The-Poo...pooh+bath+toys Each cup has a different bottom so the water flows through in different ways. They stack and no mold problems.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie4415 View Post
    we've given up on them and let the kids have their cups and wash clothes...I choose cups because I can dishwasher them and they are good to go again. I've had WAY WAY WAY too many squeezy toys with mold and mildew and it grosses me out completely.
    I never thought of putting the cups in the dishwasher,that's a great idea! I just fill the tub a little with water and add beach and wash all the toys when they start to get gross or I feel it's been a while.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

anything plastic that is all plastic I always put on the top rack and have never had anything but great luck doing it saves me time and energy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangie View Post
    I never thought of putting the cups in the dishwasher,that's a great idea! I just fill the tub a little with water and add beach and wash all the toys when they start to get gross or I feel it's been a while.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

DS loves music so we got him a bath xylophone and bath flutes (the flutes do fill with water so you can make different pitches but we empty them completely every night). Other faves are the bath crayons, and he has a Thomas the train with a little track that suction cups to the side of the tub. We have a couple of toys shaped like big Weebles that look like a penguin and a whale, they float and wobble around and do not have an opening to fill with water.
    Katie (33) DH (32). DS1 Derek (2), DS2 Adam (newbie)

You can put some hot glue over the holes and that will help with keeping water out. Normally we just throw them away after a while. Right now we actually just have a cup and some bath crayons. I threw all the others away when we moved and have yet to replace any of them.

The other ladies have given some great options. I just wanted to add that my girls LOVE baths with glow sticks or light up stuff. We have this starfish that floats, lights up and blinks, and creates a fountain out of its nose. http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Star-.../dp/B002A9JCY4
    We also have several of those bouncy balls that light up and flash when they bounce. Some of them are more sensitive than others, but we have a few that my 12 month old can light up just by hitting it against her other hand. And of course glow sticks are great. I get them at the dollar store. If you store them in the freezer after you are done you can get a couple more uses from them. We don't do a glow bath every night, but my kids have a blast when we do. Its a great sensory experience for them.

This is DD1 when she was younger with glow sticks

This is a short video of her yesterday with the starfish and flashy ball.

I have given up on bath toys. My kids play with cups, hot wheels and mega blocks in the tub.I love the glow sticks! Thank you for sharing.

Target has some musical instruments for the tub!
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

Lots of great ideas, I will need to glue our squirty toys but right now DD loves them and we empty them out every night.
    Mother to seven flying, called home too soon.

I forgot about the glow sticks! We do those sometimes here also. I stocked up on them after Halloween a couple years ago and paid so very little for them. We actually use them a ton for other things as well. I plan on taking them with us on our drive to CA this summer because some of it will be dark while we drive.

Thanks for all the great ideas!