Thread: First Time Stripper

Question First Time Stripper

I think we have ammonia, or build-up... DD has what I suspect is an ammonia burn, but not for sure since it looks exactly like what she gets when she eats citrus... That being said, I have determined I will strip the diapers. Do I strip the pockets in addition to the liners/soakers? Also, we just started doing CD in January full time and went strait to FT CD, and not all diapers are even a month old. Do I strip what I think I shoud strip and leave the new ones out? Does stripping do anything to the outer PUL/fabrics?

The diapers we use all the time are Thirsties, BumGenius (FT and 4.0), RaR and Kawaii GNHW for nights. We have a few others we tried but are not in my regular rotation.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by pumpkinseed2011; 03-04-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

Blog Entries

I would go ahead and strip everything (and anything that touches your baby's skin). It won't hurt any of your diapers/PUL to do so. I strip with RLR.

Oh, and I had to strip about every four weeks when I was using synthetic materials (due to smell and/or my DS would get red anywhere the diapers touched). Before I switched my detergent washing was just awful (had to wash each load at least twice through and still had to strip about every two weeks). Switching to all natural fabrics eliminated all the stripping. I've only stripped once in the last 18 months (and simply because I thought why not?).

So, you may find that you need to change or alter the amount of detergent you are using.
    Last edited by JJorn; 03-04-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Ok, first I must say LOL!!! I saw the title of the thread and thought it was something else entirely

Ok, stripping is pretty easy. I usually put all the dipes in (I use mostly pockets with microfiber, bamboo and also have several RnR AI2's) I do a quick rinse with cold water, then put in a bit of Dawn, just the plain blue Dawn, about a tablespoon. Put it on a heavy wash cycle, I run that twice, and then rinse rinse rinse!

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

[QUOTE=Scarlett;1058765448]Ok, first I must say LOL!!! I saw the title of the thread and thought it was something else entirely

Had contemplated the subject being "Virgin Stripper" but thought better of it....

Thanks for the help. Does detergent build up cause the ammonia burn?

Blog Entries

Detergent build up can cause stink and rashes. Presumably an ammonia burn is caused by not getting the diapers fully clean. I'm not sure how you would be able to tell that a rash was caused specifically by ammonia.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I just did this on Saturday for the same reason. I used Blue Dawn, like Scarlett, as thats what BG recommends. DS had a bad rash that I think was some kind of ammonia burn, as it was only on his front, upper diaper area, which would be the most pee saturated on a boy. I also noticed the ammonia smell on the diapers was worse than usual when they were wet. We use mostly BG 4.0s, and a few FB and I stripped them all just in case. In the meantime, I used disposables for a couple of days so I could use a good ointment. He's all cleared up now.
    Jennifer

If I went the dawn route do you put it in the drum or the liquid detergent dispenser?

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Also, I don't use much detergent. I'm using the tide powder and only use like a quarter scoop. Maybe I need more? Her dipes seem to be stinky but not an ammonia smell....just musty.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Babidol View Post
    Also, I don't use much detergent. I'm using the tide powder and only use like a quarter scoop. Maybe I need more? Her dipes seem to be stinky but not an ammonia smell....just musty.
    I was told to use the appropriate amount of detergent for the load size. But I'm new so I'm not 100% reliable.

It was not an ammonia burn at all. She is so sensitive to her own output that even a minute in her poo gives her a rash. I feel so bad for her. I guess we need to see what is causing her output to be so acidic. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Babidol View Post
    If I went the dawn route do you put it in the drum or the liquid detergent dispenser?
    I have a top loader washer that doesn't have a dispenser, so I just put it in the drum. I think I'd put it in the dispenser if I had one though.

Normally I use Rockin' Green powder detergent. The bag says to use 2-3 tablespoons for a regular load in a non-HE machine, but I usually use 1 1/2 tablespoons for 12 diapers and inserts, and then do an extra rinse cycle at the end.
    Jennifer