Thread: Processed foods

Default Processed foods

Ok so I do like to cook and have been trying to get away from HFCS and MSG....both that has been pretty successful. Not 100% but close.
    So now I am tackling canned foods. BPA scares me. I grew up eating a number of canned foods and drinking from bottles which in 1979 I'm sure that BPA. And now I have infertility that is unexplained, a screwy metabolism (I had a gastric bypass and at my lowest was still 200 lbs....and there is NO WAY at that point I was eating enough calories to support that), and I have thyroid disease.
    I don't use canned stock anymore, no canned fruits, no canned veggies. I am going to try making homemade cream of chicken instead of canned and I think that should work ok. But how the heck do I get away from canned tomatoes? I would like to make my own spagetti sauce but don't...at least that is glass jars. But I still use tomato sauce and diced tomatoes....and they are always canned. I don't have access to a trader joes or whole foods. And we LOVE tomatoes. Chili, spaghetti, tomato soups....and in Wisconsin I'm getting great access to fresh ones for a big chunk of the year.
    What do you all do about canned tomatoes?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Canned tomatoes are one of the few things we still use too. Plans are in the works for a friend and I to get together and can our own, something neither of us has done before.

OH that would be cool but so far I haven't been all that successful growing my own. Our tomato season is so short so far mine have been mostly eaten by deer.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Have you tried these? http://www.amazon.com/Pomi-Chopped-T.../dp/B0005ZVOR8

Whole Foods also sells boxed beans now, too. I know they are not as good as using dried, but when you don't have the time to soak or cook them all day, they are good in a pinch.

We're not growing our own either, we'll buy from the all-natural farm where we have a CSA.

I really need to make the trek to WF. It's a 45 min drive at least, but honestly anytime we leave the house it's probably a 20 min drive anyway.

Grow them!!! I usually plant 10 roma plants and get 2-3lbs from each plant. I have tried various methods of saving them. The easiest is to freeze them. I have tried canning and still have 5 QTs of beautiful tomatoes I am afraid to use

I have done this for 2-3 years now. I think the best method is dunking them in boiling water and removing the skins, squeezing out the seeds and crushing them. Then put them in 1 QT freezer bags and freeze. I try to freeze them 14oz at a time which is the equivalent of a can. I have been using mine all winter from this past summer and even have some from last summer still in my freezer! I have a big box freezer in the garage but the bags freeze flat so you can fit A LOT in any freezer.

I tried roasting them but that is messy and I Have left the skins on to make it easier but that gets annoying. The above method is what I plan to do this year. I end up harvesting a lot at a time and just doing them in big batches. It's only a lot of work during late July-August when they all ripen at the same time.

If you don't want to grow them yourself buy a whole bunch at a farmers market, local farm or grocery store when they are in season and you can do the same. WELL worth the little effort!!!

ETA: SORRY I didn't read the other replies and realize now that you said you can't grow them. I would still buy in bulk when they are in season in your area - even if it's a short time. See if you can calculate how many cans you may use to determine how many you will need. I get about 40lbs/summer I think? I have not made tomato sauce though...we usually end up getting that from my mom lol. I think 2-3lbs will fill a 1 QT jar if I remember correctly....
    Last edited by macksmom; 02-28-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Eden Foods sells canned tomatoes (and beans) in BPA-free cans. I cannot rave enough about this company. Their pasta is delicious too. They're fabulous. Check out their website.

I just buy boxed or jarred tomotoes

I will often use canned, but will buy the box when I can find them.

In the past, I have frozen whole tomatoes without a problem. I don't know what happened with out CSA this year, but we had NO tomatoes freeze..we barely had enough to use during the week. If the same thing happens this year, I will probably buy some tomatoes during the season from other farms just to freeze and stock up for the year.

We freeze them or buy ones that are packaged in BPA free containers - there are plenty out there.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I do not live in a big city and of course my grocery store doesn't carry any in boxes or jars. Or the Eden line. I double checked this weekend. I will of course try to grow some again this summer....I have a ton of sun in my yard but I also have a field behind me and last year they grew corn so I am thinking this year will be corn again. Which the deer love. I cannot have a fence and nothing else has worked to keep the d*mn deer way. (they eat my garden and rubbed the bark on my young maple).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

You can put up some livestock fencing to keep them off your tomato patch. It WILL work, but you have to train your pups to stay away too. You can also try motion activated sprinklers. Or try it in pots, kept near your doors. It will be a deterrent, but not 100%.

This site seems to maintain a list of BPA free canned products: http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/chea...e-canned-food/

No fencing allowed per convenants unless approved and only one has been approved in the whole subdivsion (his is the really pretty really expensive fencing). I did pots all the years we rented and I just suck at growing in those. I tried on the deck the first year we had the house as I didn't get the garden in fast enough but it's the one place in the yard that we get too much shade. LOL I will look at the link!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I bought this last year and had some luck with it....http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101...inklerIt's

It's also funny to watch DH or the kids forget it's on and walk in front of it and get wet lol!
    Last edited by macksmom; 03-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would just look for a farmers market or sale in the store, buy a bunch and can myself. You can can tomatoes in a regular boiling water canner which is not expensive like the pressure canner. Just buy some Tattler lids that are BPA free instead of the lids the canning jars come with. You can always ask a seller in the farmers market if they would get you a whole bushel (or whatever amount you want) and how much they would charge. I have bought produce for canning pretty cheap that way ($10 for box of 25 lbs of tomatoes, $20 for a bushel of pickling cucumbers, etc.)