Thread: Odd incident with another mother

Default Odd incident with another mother

We had garage sale yesterday. I had two bins of toys out. A family came in, two women, five kids. The youngest was 18-24 months old girl, then 3 boys about 3-5 years old and a girl about 8 yo. The boys were kind of wild, they picked most of the toys out of the bins and threw them on the ground. Given, my kids had several toys on the ground already because they were playing with them. The women never said anything to the boys while they were throwing stuff around, just left it where it landed. So I have to admit I was already a tad irritated by this. I would never let my kids behave like that - I am not saying they would not do it, but I would certainly correct the behavior and pick up / make them pickup. .......... They ended up picking several toys that added up to $2.50 but as they were walking back to the car, the little girl was carrying a baby doll they did not pay for. The doll was new, never played with but not in a box and I know MIL paid $15 for it. I asked the mother if they were buying the doll as well. She asked how much, I said $1. She set the doll on a table and went to the car. ......... The little girl was upset.She came back and asked if I would take 50 cents. I said yes. After she handed me the money, she said "my baby is crying, see what you did?" .......... I was really taken aback by what she said. I realize this is a garage sale and we are trying to get rid of stuff but I do not like the fact that someone would let their kid walk away with something they did not pay for. I felt I was right to ask for a payment. Why would anyone think it's okay to just pick something up and walk away? Is this normal?
    Last edited by impatient; 02-24-2013 at 08:18 AM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

It was completely within your rights to ask them for a payment and I don't know anyone who would think it is okay to pick up something and walk away with it like that and then try to berate you for making the girl cry when you ask them to pay. I can see why you're still dwelling on it, and it would bother me too, but perhaps they were anticipating that the sheer chaos of their combined families would obscure the fact that they were walking off with stuff. They may have taken other things as well.

Blog Entries

That woman sounds completely out of line to me. I know garage sale items are relatively cheap, but that doesn't give anyone the right to walk off with them! You were totally in the right here. The situation would bother me, too.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Yeah, she was awful. I agree with 3andme. She may have been trying to get away with something and didn't appreciate being called on it so she tried to make YOU feel bad. I'm sorry you had to deal with her.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Wow. Just imagine the values she is tecahing her children. I can just imagine the sense of entitlement they will grow up with. I would have been embarrassed if my child was walking away with something I did not pay for, and if I could not afford it, that would be on me to explain things to my child. That's just ridiculous that she tried to make you feel bad.

This is why I won't do garage sales any more. I already mark that kind of stuff so cheap, then people act like you should just give it away. I couldn't believe how many people would ask me if I'd take less when the item was already marked like 50 cents! Geez! If I wanted to give it all away I'd have just donated it. We only ever had garage sales with something in mind that we were hoping to raise the money for. I'd have done the same as you simply because it's the right thing to do to pay for things and not let kids think it's ok to just take them. How annoying!
    Last edited by sunkiss; 02-24-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
    ~Andrea~

I agree with every single thing said in response to your post so far!

Stealing is stealing. She is setting a bad example for her kids. Then to try and blame it on you is completely out of line.

I agree with everyone else. That woman was totally out of line, and you did nothing wrong!
    Jennifer

When people are wrong about something, they try to bring others around them to a lower level to feel better about themselves. She was wrong, and set a poor example for her kids. Shame on her, not you. Unfortunately there will always be people like her out there, but you can look at yourself in the mirror and respect yourself. I'm not so sure she can do the same.
    Leigh(35)/Matt(39)/Sonja Lily(3.75)/Damien Andrew(1yr)

You did well not to say something like, "Yes, I see what I did..I taught your daughter not to steal!"

The other mom was out of line and setting bad bad bad examples for her children.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    Wow. Just imagine the values she is tecahing her children. I can just imagine the sense of entitlement they will grow up with. I would have been embarrassed if my child was walking away with something I did not pay for, and if I could not afford it, that would be on me to explain things to my child. That's just ridiculous that she tried to make you feel bad.
    This was exactly my thought when I read the OP.

I also agree with what everyone else has said. Sorry you had to deal with that.

She asked you to take .50 on a toy that was $1? WTF is wrong with people? You didn't do anything wrong, and that lady is freakin' nuts.
    Mommy to Lilliana (10/2006) & Summer (10/2011)!

what the ... You handled that way nicer than I would have. Not only would she not get the doll, I would have made her cry too.
    If you can give your child only one gift, let it be enthusiasm - Bruce Barton

Thanks for the replies - glad to know I am not the one going crazy (at least not this time ). It just really took me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by OhBaby View Post
    what the ... You handled that way nicer than I would have. Not only would she not get the doll, I would have made her cry too.
    LOL!!!! Ditto!

Honestly you were too nice. I would have said its $1 firm. That lady sounds like a mess.