Thread: Traveling on a plane with a carseat?

Default Traveling on a plane with a carseat?

We live in Hawaii, and we're getting ready to fly home to Massachusetts in a couple of weeks with DS for the first time. He's going to be sitting on our laps the whole time, but we'll still need to bring his carseat. We have an infant carseat/carrier that we'll be bringing. I know not to check the carseat with the luggage, but we'll have to gate check it since it can't come on the plane. I plan on asking if there's any empty seats, but in our experience they always overbook every single flight on and off of the island, so we're lucky to even get two seats next to each other. Its going to be about 12 hours of flying time, plus an hour layover in the middle and I'm planning on wearing DS in the Ergo while in the airports. So, all that to ask what should I do, or can I do to protect the carseat while it's under the plane? I'm afraid its going to get filthy under there. I've seen nylon bags online to put them in, but all the reviews say they just rip, so its worthless. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
    Jennifer

Blog Entries

When we flew we bought seats for the kids and they were on the plane in their car seats. So, I guess that I am no help!
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I bought a car seat bag for ours from Amazon. Ours worked pretty well and didn't rip. And I checked mine with our luggage - they don't charge for car seats and strollers. I threw diapers and a couple other things in the bag with it too to save a little space in my suitcase.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I always check our car seat with the luggage, make sure to check with the airline about checking it at the gate they are usually particular about what thy allow for gate check. I don't use a bag because our seat didn't fit in the one we bought. Nothing happened to it. Thu put it in a tray and it didn't get dirty or break.

Would it be possible for someone at your destination to bring you a carseat at the airport? Like, are your parents picking you up? It would save you the hassle.

We gate checked a carseat once. Ever since then we've booked her a seat and she sat in the carseat. I much prefer that.

We checked our carseat with our luggage last time we flew. The airline has bags to put them in to keep them clean.

If you can rent or borrow a seat at the other end that would be great too. As long as you can trust it is not expired, clean and in good condition.

Thanks ladies! We're actually going to be flying first to Florida for a week for a family reunion, and then from there on to Boston for another week, and eventually back home to Hawaii so I have to bring my own carseat (and pack n' play, etc). I so wish we could book him his own seat, but flying to/from Hawaii is ridiculously expensive. We actually got lucky this time and found tickets for just under $800 each roundtrip, so there's no way we could spend that much more for DS, especially when I know I'd end up holding him most of the time anyways. Have I mentioned how much I can't wait til we get to move off of this island and back to the mainland next year? Ugh..thats another thread all together, lol. Thanks for the advice ladies!
    Jennifer

We flew to MN last year with the kids and were going to gate check their car seats. The lady at luggage check recommended against it unless we needed them for some reason during our layover. She said at gate check they are kinds thrown down a steep shoot and are more likely to be damaged. We checked them with our luggage (free) and they put them in bags and arrived in pristine condition.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks. The more I think about it, I think we're just going to have to bring the carseat and ask the airline when we get there and check our bags. Why is this stressing me out so much? lol
    Jennifer

I live in Hawaii and fly between islands frequently. We just went to Missouri this past October and we did both before-check in with luggage (they bag it with a thick, clear bag) and we also took it straight up to the gate. We took it straight to the gate on our trip to Missouri and they took care of both our stroller and car seat. It didn't get dirty or damaged at all. They have bags specifically for car seats that they can provide for you. Don't stress mama! Enjoy your trip
    Last edited by wannabmomof3; 02-25-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: typos
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Thanks Autumn for the info. I'm starting to feel a little better about this all.
    Jennifer

Dh is currently driving us home from the airport. We have to by two of ours tickets because one is three & the other we don't have enough arms for. We check the other two car seats. Going out we used their bag & coming back I bought the vinyl bags because I didn't want to have to deal with them since Dh didn't come along. We haven't had damage either way. Our strollers however, always have some damage done & they are gate checked.

I've checked the carseat at the gate and I've checked it with luggage. We didn't have any cover for it either. It came out just fine. I almost feel like the handlers take better care of it if it ISN'T covered. Almost like they think that if there is a cover on it, it must be protected so forget about being careful with it.

Thanks for the info ladies!
    Jennifer

One thing - if you are bringing a stroller and it has any sort of detachable cup holder or storage be sure to remove it. I forgot once and we lost a cup holder on our snap and go when we gate checked it!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Good tip, Anne! Thanks!
    Jennifer